Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
22 miles on the cross bike this morning round the paths and trails on Strathclyde Park and Chaterault. A mixture of snow, ice and mud made it slow going at times and there was also a couple of fallen trees to negotiate as well. I'm hoping to get out on the road bike tomorrow but there's a hard frost here this evening so I'll probably have to walk the bike 1/2 mile to the main road

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
8 miles today, as the temperature got above freezing, about 6C. Much of the snow melted off the roads, as did the ice, and parts of the trail were cleared. Did my usual up and downhill turn, with some other venues thrown in, including the pond near my home. But temperatures are trending upward this week, with 0C and above seemingly being the norm. Much better than last year at this time. I think it's better when you can actually get out now and again. I'm sure we'll have more cold weather, but maybe just off and on from here. My Trek 800 is starting to show some signs of winter, it'll need to get fettled well in the spring, when other cycles can share the duties.
Trek800atPond_edited-1_zps698ad5e6.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
8 miles today, as the temperature got above freezing, about 6C. Much of the snow melted off the roads, as did the ice, and parts of the trail were cleared. Did my usual up and downhill turn, with some other venues thrown in, including the pond near my home. But temperatures are trending upward this week, with 0C and above seemingly being the norm. Much better than last year at this time. I think it's better when you can actually get out now and again. I'm sure we'll have more cold weather, but maybe just off and on from here. My Trek 800 is starting to show some signs of winter, it'll need to get fettled well in the spring, when other cycles can share the duties.
Trek800atPond_edited-1_zps698ad5e6.jpg
Are you about 7 feet tall?! :whistle:

That looks like quite a large bike, but you also have the saddle and bars really high ...

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think the frame is only about a 22 inch, the older treks were designed with a tall headtube . I'm only about 6'3", but with long legs for height. That is also a road height, I ride it about 2 inches shorter on mountain bike trails. It becomes my do-everything winter bicycle, so it is quite versatile. It is also quite heavy. I think it is Hi-ten, except for the seat tube, which is chromoly.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think the frame is only about a 22 inch, the older treks were designed with a tall headtube . I'm only about 6'3", but with long legs for height. That is also a road height, I ride it about 2 inches shorter on mountain bike trails. It becomes my do-everything winter bicycle, so it is quite versatile. It is also quite heavy. I think it is Hi-ten, except for the seat tube, which is chromoly.
I was comparing it my MTB which has a 19 inch compact style frame. I am 6' 1", but have relatively short legs for my height (33") and a longer upper body.

Actually, I just went and took a look to remind myself ... I have my saddle pretty high compared to the frame too, but there is nowhere near as much clearance round the tyres as there is on your bike.

Dave 123

Legendary Member

"ONLY" 6'3"........!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I was comparing it my MTB which has a 19 inch compact style frame. I am 6' 1", but have relatively short legs for my height (33") and a longer upper body.

Actually, I just went and took a look to remind myself ... I have my saddle pretty high compared to the frame too, but there is nowhere near as much clearance round the tyres as there is on your bike.
Those are 26x1.25, I think. The 26x2.25 look a bit beefier, but the hub has been speaking up of late, so those wheels are on my expedition bike as it's a-building. Then I'll tear the wheels down and see what's amiss. I do have a 19" Specialized Hardrock, but that's as small as I can possibly go without issues, and I ride that with an epic amount of seatpost. My expediton tourer project is a Schwinn Woodlands, made of Reynolds 500 in Hungary, and 22" as well.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Fresh snow! :hyper:
Commute into work this morning was fun - walked to the main road not to tempt fate, studded tyres or not :laugh: then there was snow, and ice, and lots of it!
Getting quite good at cycling without braking ...
View of the park, imagine the ice tyres going "crunch, crunch"
Green in teh snow (640x427).jpg
Kept mainly to the main roads after that, got to my work safely. Only my bike in the racks, but saw another 2 cyclists on the way, gingerly trying not to fall.
parked.jpg
Can you spot the difference?
spot the difference (416x640).jpg
The ride home was a different kettle of fish: the fresh snow is now iced up, got to take it really easy. Skipped the park in the dark, went round it on the road.
Suddenly I hear a scream in the night: Patttttt!!!!
I shout back without stopping: Wottttt???
When I got home, my pal had send me a text "hope I didn't frighten you"
Me: " lol, it was you? I couldn't stop, was cycling without braking because of the ice" :laugh:
In spite of the foul weather conditions, a black taxi close passed me :stop:
Tomorrow, it's going to be a bit scary, but hopefully the roads will be very quiet, going to set out early.
A view of the Hydro in the snow:
hydro in teh snow2.jpg

Fresh snow! :hyper:
Commute into work this morning was fun - walked to the main road not to tempt fate, studded tyres or not :laugh: then there was snow, and ice, and lots of it!
Getting quite good at cycling without braking ...
View of the park, imagine the ice tyres going "crunch, crunch"
View attachment 77221
Kept mainly to the main roads after that, got to my work safely. Only my bike in the racks, but saw another 2 cyclists on the way, gingerly trying not to fall.
View attachment 77222
Can you spot the difference?
View attachment 77223
The ride home was a different kettle of fish: the fresh snow is now iced up, got to take it really easy. Skipped the park in the dark, went round it on the road.
Suddenly I hear a scream in the night: Patttttt!!!!
I shout back without stopping: Wottttt???
When I got home, my pal had send me a text "hope I didn't frighten you"
Me: " lol, it was you? I couldn't stop, was cycling without braking because of the ice" :laugh:
In spite of the foul weather conditions, a black taxi close passed me :stop:
Tomorrow, it's going to be a bit scary, but hopefully the roads will be very quiet, going to set out early.
A view of the Hydro in the snow:
View attachment 77224

Fresh snow again this morning Pat and it will be on top of the frozen stuff from yesterday. Take care on your ride to work

D

Deleted member 23692

Out before 9:00 this morning for lap of my usual short circuit on the new(ish) bike, which is super low maintenance and thus perfect for this crappy weather. The overnight dusting of snow, coupled with sub zero temp and snow/sleet drizzle made it all the more entertaining.

The route takes me over the Currock rail bridge to Dentom Holme and then up the Caldew Cycleway to Dalston.

WP_20150118_001_zps66915616.jpg

I didn't realise it had reflective logos on the tires until I took this photo!

From Dalston it's back onto very minor roads to Unthank and then over to Wreay and then downhill back to Carlisle.

WP_20150118_002_zps3d1c625b.jpg

Mr Garmin tells me it's 14 miles at a leisurely 12mph

full.png

sgl5gjr

Just the "normal" Sunday cycle learning run for the Teen and I..... just a 10 miler....but with her new shoes and spd pedals...:laugh::laugh: I had to take my time.... still did it at a good pace and when we got back, we felt we could or should have rode an extra 10 miles or so..... next week probably ...but then Mrs Sgl will be with us on her Triban.....:hyper:

As a post script on today's ride..... I did have slight noise... as if something was rubbing... noticed it more when I was on the outer chain ring... when cleaning the bikes I found that the front mech cable had a slight kink and the cable end was slightly rubbing the sidewall of the tyre

Last edited:
What gears have you got on that bike Ffoeg? If it's fixed wheel you have my sympathy coming up from Dalston. I Couldn't get out yesterday as I was pulling out a Buddleia stump and today my back is telling me just how deep the roots and other stumps spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom