Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davehateshills

Set off from the National Cycling Centre with a group from SSG Oldham for the 'All In Ride' It's a nice easy ride that everyone in the group can participate in, more of a social ride then one with any pace. One of the members works at Manchester Airport and he arranged for our coffee stop at one of the maintenance hangers.

It was a great day out!

photo%252013.JPG

photo%25209.JPG

gavgav

Guru
Met some friends at Wombourne for a bimble along the old Kingswinford Railway Track. Gorgeous sunshine, if a little chilly and VERY muddy!! Two 6 year olds with us meant lots of stops and a slow pace! They seemed to pedal much faster on the way back, due to the promise of ice cream from the cafe! Coffee and Lemon Drizzle cake for us "olds" :tongue:

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
Met up with 2 mates for an early morning ride. 51 miles through the Hertfordshire & Buckinghamshire countryside, stopped for coffee & cake 30 miles in, and on the homeward leg we met up with another mate for a few miles more

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
30 mile loop this morning, in the the cold, bright sunshine though, and not a whisper of a breeze. It was smashing, saw a lot of cyclists out today too.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
It's days like this when you tend to really pity anyone without a bike - clear blue skies, not too cold and no wind at all. Managed a 25 mile or so pootle across the fens after lunch at a National Trust Place called Anglesey Abbey. Good to see the bike racks full there.

Then it was out onto the Lodes Way to Upware, past the 5 Miles from Anywhere Inn and then on to Wicken Fen, a big old nature reserve. The cafe looked heaving so I resisted the temptation to stop for a mug of tea and pressed on over Burwell Lode and down to Reach Lode Bridge.

At the bridge a cycling mate of mine was stood there spotting owls, and before long a barn owl appeared not far away, followed by two stunning short eared owls (there were up to 15 Short eared owls here last winter. I had always assumed a short eared owl would have the better of a barn owl as they are much bigger, but the barn owl saw off one of the short ears at one point with no trouble at all).

A fella called JME of the Keep Pushing Those Pedals blog was passing and joined us on the bridge to admire the owls too. It was fun chatting to the various birders and cyclists passing by, including one chap with his 75 year old Mum, on two lovely old Dutch style bikes hoping to reach Ely before sunset. With half an hour and 10 miles to go, I reckon they probably didn't quite manage it!

The sun had set by the time I set off again and I was lucky to see another barn owl near Swaffham Prior. Didn't hang about after that as it was getting quite cold, and 3 mugs of tea barely touched the sides when I got home!

DeepBurn

Über Member
Enjoyable ride today 11 miles including what mapmyride classes as a cat 4 climb, (1.5 miles and over 500ft) Done in under an hour which is an improved average speed for me over that kind of distance.

Looking forward to doing some longer flatter runs to see how much I can push myself when I don't have climbs to contend with.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Great ride today. The same route, plus a small detour round a skittish horse adding an extra 1/4 mile, in less time and I feel fantastic. It was just the 'first ride for a bit blues' I reckon that left me so shattered on Thursday.
According to my phone, its going to rain tomorrow, but if its OK in the morning, I plan to pop out for another little 9 miler on my bike.

As for Thursday's ride. I looked at 'my tracks' app on my phone and it fell over for about 3/4 mile so maybe it was more like 9.5 miles and not 8.8 miles as I literally only travelled an additional 500 yards today. Faster too, not that it matteres. What matters is that it was great ^_^

Edwards80

Über Member
Did my 1st Audax with the Club yesterday. The Eureka 200. Cracking day, decent weather and a good laugh throughout. 141 miles in total :wacko: - Strava trace here http://app.strava.com/activities/27544329

Some muddy and slippery farm roads, a farmer angry that we scared his cow that was just wandering around in the road, an excellent navigation fail which resulted in both sides of our group signalling in different directions and some pot hole dodging in the darkness :smile: Great fun! The Eureka cycling cafe is ace too. Just happened to get there during the remembrance day silence. Felt pretty poignant going from packed noisy cafe to complete silence.

I think that will be my last "epic" ride for the year. Just over a year since I started riding and feeling "off" after 10 slow miles :smile: Trying not to feel too smug ;)

PK99

Legendary Member
Drizzly 30 miles - to Richmond Park 3 times round and home, non stop apart from traffic lights. 14.4mph rolling

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I didn't get out at the weekend as I had the lurgy (again) & didn't feel up to it, so feeling better today I took the chance to get out this afternoon.

It was a hilly route today. Over Lyth Hill, through Exfords Green, up Long Lane to Oaks and round the back way into Pulverbatch. From there cross country to Dorrington via Wilderley and finally home via Condover and Lyth Hill again.

The ride was good, if a little on the slow side, but the bike needs a good clean now as do my trousers which are now brown from the knee down due to spray off the wheels (and that's with mudguards:wacko: ).

19.3 miles at a slow 10.6 mph.

A few pics:

DSC00674.JPG

The track across Lyth Hill. I'm on gravel trails for the next couple of miles.

DSC00677.JPG

Still a nice bit of autumn colour the other side of the hill.

DSC00683.JPG

On the back road to Pulverbatch. We're looking at Eastridge Woods in the distance which was a regular venue for national mountain bike competitions in the early days of the sport.

DSC00684.JPG

Pulverbatch

DSC00686.JPG

Climbing up to Wilderley Hall Farm.

DSC00687.JPG

En route to Dorrington.

DSC00690.JPG

Dorrington has managed to retain its facilities: post office, shop, pub and errrm........

DSC00691.JPG

At the junction for Great Ryton and about to ride off into the sunset.

DSC00695.JPG

I might need to clean the bike soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom