Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Short 9 mile test ride, very windy out there.
Newly cleaned bike is filthy again :rolleyes:
Even the swans are looking mucky-
P1010860.jpg

P1010862.jpg

Kies

A brisk 13 miles after a spell off the bike with flu. Felt good to clear the lungs out and get a sweat going. Timed it just right,as the heavens opened the moment i put the hybrid back into the shed :-)

Mike Warren

Set off to do my regular 30 mile route. I thought the snow and ice had gone. I found plenty along the Reiver's. After struggling for a mile it became clear that I'd either be pushing the bike for most of the route or I'd break my neck. I chickened out and found an ice free route home.

31 miles at an average speed of :blush:. I put that down to the last 5 miles where I was out of the saddle, [not dancing on the pedals] straining mightily to reach 11 mph going downhill! I refuse to divulge on a forum my uphill speed.
I took this picture to remind me how much I hate ivy and the damage it can do to trees, quite apart from turning them all into amorphous blobs
2013_01_29002_zpse563e027.jpg

This is one of my favourite roads but has had quite a bit of water damage, hedges however are always beautifully kept even on very minor roads
2013_01_29003_zps4097264f.jpg

13 weeks ago it looked like this, how quick the seasons pass by
Oct2011004.jpg

Whoa! frisky or what, I thought yesterdays ride was a tad breezy, today's little effort of 20 miles turned into a massive effort. Wind was forecast at 27 mph with 50 mph gusts. In my infinite, all knowing wisdom I thought it would be better to try and head out into the wind and back with it, theory is a wonderful thing, it is the conversion into practice that doesn't always come off. So the one and three quarter mile climb into the wind had me grinning and laughing, laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.........ok that may have been crying. Towards the end there is a one mile descent, for all of this I was doing 34 - 40 mph on fixed, the two cars behind me quite rightly stayed behind me, no doubt admiring the speed of my legs. You always get curios looks when they do overtake, the look that says "just change gear, it's much easier". Sigh.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another frisky day today, 39.89 circular ride, and the wind was blowing hard in every direction except from behind! But the sun was out again, and the roads were quiet it wasn't so bad once I got home.

I had the day off so I headed up through Rutland to Ashfordby. Lol, my garmin navigation screen was different for some reason (only displaying the main junctions rather than the route); I just had to escape a function :blush: Took thing very easy as I headed west-north a bit too easy; my garmin then flashed 'low battery' so I figured I'd better up the pace and forego a cafe stop :sad: got another 2-3 hours before it failed which got me 86 miles round before I had to self navigate, the strong west wind helped me bizarrely know which direction I was heading. If I'd went as planned I would have done 14 more miles but I ended up doing circa 17.5miles :blush: , making it 103.7 miles.
It was a bit of a damp start but it soon dried out into a fine mild day a tad blowy at times but apart from my little section through the fens the route wasn't to exposed, certainly one to revisit when I charge my garmin batteries :laugh:

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
Well, the snow, ice, rain and (supposidly) wind has gone taking the excuses along with it, so this morning I decided it was time for the first 'proper' shift of the year.

A nice hilly 56 miles that, although on the whole decent enough, did have a 20 mile home leg with a stiff headwind. Curse you Met Office.

Also, according to the Garmin, Ascent: 4229 ft, Descent 4157 ft. As I started and finished in exactly the same place, apparently home had a bit of a siesmic shift whilst I was out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom