Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Most likely my last Canadian ride today along the shores around Victoria, BC. Did around 15 miles, mostly flat apart from one beastie hill that was mercifully short. Victoria harbour was buzzing as I headed off.

image.jpg

Along the way, at the seafront, I chanced upon the start - or end- of the Trans Canada Highway- 3000 miles or so to Newfoundland. I felt a bit of a fraud taking a pic of my rented bike next to the sign, as countless end to enders must have done similar at the start or end of their more epic rides.

image.jpg

The ride took in lots of bays and inlets like this one.

image.jpg

I reached Oak Bay after an hour or so. The U.S. is just across the water from here (the hills on the horizon)

image.jpg

Then I headed inland along a fairly busy road back to the city centre. The harbour is used by fishing boats, tourist boats, ferries and there's currently a rowing festival happening. As If that weren't enough, it's also a runway for boat planes. Pretty manic in summary!

image.jpg

The sun finally came out after I dropped the bike off back at the bike hire place and the harbour looked great.

image.jpg

Cycling in Canada, at least in this area is brilliant. No problems with the drivers (getting a driving licence is pretty convoluted and involves two tests and lots of caveats for new drivers- the extra training certainly seems to work). Even the Volvos indicate. The only downside (for me at least) is that wearing cycle helmets is compulsory. I only learnt this after several days of buzzing around Vancouver with the wind in my hair (what's left of it anyway). I have no problem with helmets, but when you rent a bike and end up with a rented helmet that has sat on countless sweaty heads, it is not the most pleasant experience. Still at least i was lucky to somehow avoid the eighty dollar fine for not wearing one.

Really not looking forward to returning home next week, though it will be good to be back in the saddle in my familiar territory of the flatlands again.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I've barely touched the road bike for the last month or so but managed to talk myself into going out for a bimble yesterday afternoon. I was originally thinking something in the region of 30-40 miles but enjoyed myself so much that ended up doing closer to 50.

It was a pretty simple route - I went uphill through the villages of Stoke St Mary and Hatch Beauchamp, then rode along the edge of ridge that overlooks the flanks of the Somerset Levels and Moors (to give it its correct name :angel:) through the village of Fivehead before doing a circle through Isle Brewers, Hambridge, Puckington (yes, really :giggle:) and Isle Abbotts before crossing my tracks in Curry Mallet, swooping down Rock Hill and then heading for home via North Curry and Creech St Michael.

Overlooking the village of Curry Mallet:
Overlooking Curry Mallet 18aug13 (800x443).jpg

Heading home bathed in the glow of the evening sun:
Evening sun 18aug13 (800x450).jpg

It was so good to be out and about again, though my legs aren't very used to it any more and the last fifteen miles or so were a bit of a struggle. :blush:

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
I was on my on my third bottle of red wine on Saturday night when I decided it would be a good idea to cycle over to Bridlington and back on Sunday. Because of my clear thinking I posted this fact on Facebook to make sure I went through with it. Sunday morning arrives and after a bowl of cornflakes I first have to drop the caravan at the inlaws, I refit the second bottle holder on the bike tie a second tub to the saddle fill up my pockets with Ribena cartons and chocolate flapjack (no Mcvities ginger cake at the shop) and I am ready to go. A slight change of route, I don't like the little climb at Fairburn Ings so I go via Knottingley and on to Selby. At this stage I am going great guns until a little debate on lane encroachment leads to me missing the turning I was looking for. Oh well!
Onto York and the A64 for a bit I come off and onto the next roundabout,
wrong exit and through Stamford Bridge, Not long after I have a quick break and two Ribena's, still going well with an average speed showing of about 22/3 Soon after the break It is like riding through treacle and I stop to check the wheels aren't locking up (nope fine) It is shortly after this point I realise the road is rising sharply hence the treacle feeling as I am about to climb Garrowby Hill, joy of joys!! as I have said before I am no climber and speeds of 4 and 5 are showing on the comp A caravan has stopped halfway up and I am dreading the (admittedly small) diversion to go round it. I am glad there is no-one around to hear the sharp and loud intakes of breath I am having to take. At the top thankfully the road is a lot more undulating with a down hill bias for a few miles and a good speed is maintained.
On the approach to Brid a rider with tri-bars on goes past me and gives me that gee up to push the final few miles. Once in Brid my rear light cover jumps for freedom twice, both times surviving the fall and the traffic. This is it turns out, because my second tub is rubbing on the top of it. Once in Brid by the harbour I stop the Strava and go down to the south beach for an 'all day breakie coffee coke and strawberry milkshake (bl**dy delicious!!!!) Average of 21.5 over 69.4 miles so pleased with that.
My beloved has driven through to give Vinnie a beach walk so rather then let her drive home alone I decide to forego the pleasure of the ride home and give her my company. (yeah right try getting me out of the car!)
A stop off in Stamford on the way back for Fish and chips three cyclist pull in nearing the end of their coast to coast in a day! I give them the good news of the up and coming Garrowby and wish them luck. they did it and completed 200 miles in the day well done lads! for charity don't you know :smile:
bridride 118.jpg
picture is the view from the cafe!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A quick compilation of rides from my Holiday to the Lake District with @Rickshaw Phil and his family, to celebrate his "special" birthday :birthday:.I will leave Phil to provide the full description of the rides, with pictures, as he is much better at it than me!!.
Write up done of the 5 rides and the mountain climb with lots of photos :thumbsup: - I've put it in the travelogues section here.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Todays ride was 59.9 miles....I was going to the shop to get the final 0.1 miles but I was to lazy...anyway...a lovely ride
out from worthing>shoreham>Steyning> storrington>pulborough>petworth>midhurst> then some gorgeous lanes through a forest and past a lake
i forgot the name of but here is a picture

Then up and over Bury hill ..here is a view from the top

Then down into Arundel and it's Castle

Much of this loop is one I ride a lot, but the new part in the lanes around midhurst was really nice.
My legs were fine all the way around, even against the North westerly wind on the outbound leg...I put that down to way to much ice cream last night!

me again... several rides today, all with incident unfortuantly... 2 bad, but plenty of good as well. Somehow people have failed to see me today despite my front light being very bright, fully charged and well "ON".... not to mention it being a mtb off road light... (exposure joystick). Brake pads are probably going to need replacing soon at this rate. Luckily one of the drivers who failed to see me was a "learner" and I pray it will be a lesson he remembers well in future. Somewhere between me trying to brake to an emergency halt (not to mention swearing) and the instructor physically taking control of the steering wheel and pulling the vehicle into the middle of the road we averted disaster, but it was getting closer than I liked at one point.. (learner pulled out from a side road on my right without stopping at a STOP line... legal requirement to stop at a stop line not to mention, failing to see a cyclist with an exceptionally bright off road light on flashing... The DI did say thank you afterwards.) but it was made up for by plenty of other drivers seeing me and allowing me to cross in front of them, waving me on or just generally being helpful...

Out to the dr's & opticians... http://www.strava.com/activities/75855383
back from the dr's & opticians http://www.strava.com/activities/75855379
and then a little mad sprint to make the distance up to 40km today.. trying hard to get fitter before 6th September... http://www.strava.com/activities/75885920

And the final ride of today has me a 2nd place (womens) on a local descent and a new top speed for me of 66.6kph according to strava... Garmin and my trip meter both report 60.4kph but either way, it is a new top speed for me and this one has 2*90 degree bends in it and a big thank you to the car driver who may well be a cyclist, they held back at the top of the descent and allowed me to use all the lane and then stayed well back as I picked up speed allowing me to avoid the potholes & manhole covers that usually slow this descent down! Alternatively I took them completely by surprise and left them for dead in a car :biggrin:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Update from yesterdays ride, thought i would add a pic, i'am the one with the pint.^_^
clubpicinpub.jpg

Seamab

I was providing a taxi service for no. 2 son up to Perth last night and embarked upon a new Perth circular route. It's a game of get round Asda, hop on bike, and a mad dash to be back at the car park for the end of no.2 son's activity.
From the North Inch, i crossed the Tay. Up past Scone and some lovely new back roads before re-crossing the Tay again at Kinclaven. This crossing is jaw droppingly beautiful (no time for pics). Into the headwind and round through Stanley, Luncarty before picking up the cycle path back into Perth. Just over 25 miles at 18.4mph. Returned to the car dead on 8.30pm - job done! just.

Sandra6

Veteran
Set off for the usual trundle along the riverside cycle path, half way I thought "hmm, haven't done the off road version for a while" and that inner voice you should have but I clearly don't didn't say "Sandra, that is a bad idea"
For a start I don't remember the path being that close to the actual river side, and there were certainly more nettles than I've ever seen before! Had a bit of an incident involving very loose pebbles, a muddy "bump" and an unexpected fallen tree sticking out!
Needless to say I decided to stick to the path on the way home, ramped it up to the "big boy" gears and hit 20 mph on the flat! Then after a short downhill I rolled for almost a quarter of a mile, just to see how far I could go - much to the amusement of a dog walker who I crawled past at 4mph.
Came home with a big smile on my face and soggy socks, definite signs of a good ride in my book.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Woke up late feeling like rubbish...jumped on the Bianchi and started riding. I thought I'll just go around the block
and clear my head....78 miles later I'm typing this.
I rode a similar route to yesterdays 60 miler, but added some more little lanes and the hill at Bury was substituted by the hill at Duncton.
Lovely ride, and once again my legs hardly noticed ...sunny with westerly wind...no numpty incidents either.
This is the church at St. Botolphs early in the ride

Much of the ride after Midhurst is along lovely lanes like this

Then it was up and over the killer hill at Duncton..which is getting easier easy time I climb it.
This is the view from half way up

The villages of West Sussex really are very nice to ride through. Shame to get back home I have to ride along the coastal A259 which is ok, but just a busy
road full of idiots in tin cans who have no idea just how much fun I had on a bicycle today lol!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Horrible short ride tonight. A shakedown ride to see how the Tiagra shifters, derailleur etc were feeling. We put the new bars on too and put some nice new bar tape on. Hubby has been putting everything together for me as my hands are really pants today, I am dropping everything and can't even lift a cup of tea with my right hand. This happens from time to time but as long as I can hold clippers I am pretty happy with the situ.

The bars are on at the wrong angle, there is a lump before the hoods so the shifters are not far enough up the bars which means that I can't use the drops. Oh, the hoods stick out a bit at a rather odd angle. I know that I didn't put the bars on at that angle and I drew - with tippex - where the hoods needed to be. The left hand side cable is stuffed so I thought that I was stuck in big ring but it shifted to little ring for me but then was deeply unhappy about going back up again but did eventually.

A horrendously uncomfortable 4.75 miles in about 23 minutes. Couldn't wait to get home. I'll get it all apart when I have finished my apple & mint sauce.

I had a couple of odd moments when I couldn't find the little shifter. I have gone from the 'mouse ears' on the Soras to proper levers on the Tiagra, I did have a giggle to myself about it.

Woke up late feeling like rubbish...jumped on the Bianchi and started riding. I thought I'll just go around the block
and clear my head....78 miles later I'm typing this.
I rode a similar route to yesterdays 60 miler, but added some more little lanes and the hill at Bury was substituted by the hill at Duncton.
Lovely ride, and once again my legs hardly noticed ...sunny with westerly wind...no numpty incidents either.
This is the church at St. Botolphs early in the ride

Much of the ride after Midhurst is along lovely lanes like this

Then it was up and over the killer hill at Duncton..which is getting easier easy time I climb it.
This is the view from half way up

The villages of West Sussex really are very nice to ride through. Shame to get back home I have to ride along the coastal A259 which is ok, but just a busy
road full of idiots in tin cans who have no idea just how much fun I had on a bicycle today lol!

Used to live north of Midhurst for 12 years. for 7 years my commute was across Thursley Nature reserve and down little lanes like that, first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Most of them single track with passing places. Wonderful way to start and end the day but me and the mountain bike usually ended up covered head to toe in mud each and every ride. Great way to arrive at work: my bosses wife would leave a large watering can outside of me and the bike before we were allowed into the library building! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom