Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've never had a shower/bath before a ride! If I did have one, I'd probably feel so clean and relaxed that I wouldn't want to bother with the ride. I look forward to having a soak when I get back.

Mind you, I am rarely cold when I first get out of bed ...

I sometimes wake with very cold & painful legs - always have done as far back as I can remember. When I woke this morning my legs were so painful, I could barely walk, let alone cycle, so I had to get them warm and showering seemed the best option (no bath, but plenty of water from a farm supply - so pressure is no issue here)... my hot water bottle (aka my OH) was away last night... It's like cramp, but is not cramp - it's the bones themselves that hurt, but not at the joints... and it is not a bone density issue - that has been confirmed as well above average with the exception of one bone (my left femur) which has osteoporosis... I guess sleeping with the bedroom window open all year round and the heating turned off does not help my legs (just helps my asthma!)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I sometimes wake with very cold & painful legs - always have done as far back as I can remember. When I woke this morning my legs were so painful, I could barely walk, let alone cycle, so I had to get them warm and showering seemed the best option (no bath, but plenty of water from a farm supply - so pressure is no issue here)... my hot water bottle (aka my OH) was away last night... It's like cramp, but is not cramp - it's the bones themselves that hurt, but not at the joints... and it is not a bone density issue - that has been confirmed as well above average with the exception of one bone (my left femur) which has osteoporosis... I guess sleeping with the bedroom window open all year round and the heating turned off does not help my legs (just helps my asthma!)
It's pretty amazing what you do considering the number of health problems that you have!

I am feeling the cold more since I lost weight, but it has been pretty mild here the past few weeks so it hasn't been a major problem. Just the windchill on long downhills that has been getting to me.

PS Oh, and what I forgot to say was that I am trying not to let my legs get too cold after reading that cold blood clots more easily. I have had my fill of clotty legs!

Last edited:
It's pretty amazing what you do considering the number of health problems that you have!

I am feeling the cold more since I lost weight, but it has been pretty mild here the past few weeks so it hasn't been a major problem. Just the windchill on long downhills that has been getting to me.

PS Oh, and what I forgot to say was that I am trying not to let my legs get too cold after reading that cold blood clots more easily. I have had my fill of clotty legs!

I dread to think how bad I would be if I could not stay fit! My asthma alone would kill me...But I do have the 'advantage' on not having to work even part-time at the moment, which given how bad I have been this year has been a blessing. Mind you I am not sure my health is up to me working full-time anymore which is saying something at 40! And I can still only walk around 4km a day from the dog bite issues, so my 'occupation' and I may have to have words...

I might have to consider getting the leg warmers out to put on on Sunday morning's ride... was a touch chilly this am but much warmer this pm...

compo

Veteran
I must be developing a thing about ditches. I thought I would take a ride over to Hoddesdon and take a look at the new Morrisons recently opened. I took the towpath along the river (or canal) between Roydon and Hoddesdon. A chap walking in front didn't hear my cheery greeting then I saw he had earphones in. Coming up to a bit of a grass verge I decided to overtake him there. What I didn't see was the wooden edgeing piece that spun my back wheel when I tried to rejoin the path, spat me across the path, down a ditch and smack into a tree. My front wheel is written off and I had to carry the bike back to Roydon. Thankfully my step-daughter was home and able to come out and pick me and bike up in her people carrier. If she wasn't available @Biker Joe of this parish may have had a visitor! My neck is aching a bit and my hip is bad again but I am basically OK. I am just thankful I fell into the ditch and not the river. The wheel doesn't look too bad in the photo but it wont rotate and is actually cracked so kaput.

Photo0031_zpsfbde436c.jpg

UPDATE:
New wheel arrived this afternoon from Evans so now fitted. Perfect, I didn't even need to adjust the brake caliper! Pleased to be mobile again, even though I still have some aches and pains from the tumble.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I must be developing a thing about ditches. I thought I would take a ride over to Hoddesdon and take a look at the new Morrisons recently opened. I took the towpath along the river (or canal) between Royston and Hoddesdon. A chap walking in front didn't hear my cheery greeting then I saw he had earphones in. Coming up to a bit of a grass verge I decided to overtake him there. What I didn't see was the wooden edgeing piece that spun my back wheel when I tried to rejoin the path, spat me across the path, down a ditch and smack into a tree. My front wheel is written off and I had to carry the bike back to Roydon. Thankfully my step-daughter was home and able to come out and pick me and bike up in her people carrier. If she wasn't available @BikerJoe of this parish may have had a visitor! My neck is aching a bit and my hip is bad again but I am basically OK. I am just thankful I fell into the ditch and not the river. The wheel doesn't look too bad in the photo but it wont rotate and is actually cracked so kaput.

That's a pain.:sad: I'm sorry you're hurt but glad it isn't worse. It must have been a fair impact to crack the wheel.:ohmy:

Bit of a funny one today, we set off and within 10 minutes Eileen had a puncture, or we thought it was a puncture, so as we were close to home we went back and changed the tube in comfort, but the tube wasn't punctured, it looks like the seal in the valve has given up the ghost.......so off we went for the second time, by now its blowing a gale and the sky is as black as I have ever seen it so we stop for a while to let it blow over.........the wind is really picking up and if we go any further, we will have to battle our way back into a nasty headwind, so we decide to call it a day and turn around..........loads of effort put in but not a lot of travelling done, even though it felt like we had been out all day.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I must be developing a thing about ditches. I thought I would take a ride over to Hoddesdon and take a look at the new Morrisons recently opened. I took the towpath along the river (or canal) between Royston and Hoddesdon. A chap walking in front didn't hear my cheery greeting then I saw he had earphones in. Coming up to a bit of a grass verge I decided to overtake him there. What I didn't see was the wooden edgeing piece that spun my back wheel when I tried to rejoin the path, spat me across the path, down a ditch and smack into a tree. My front wheel is written off and I had to carry the bike back to Roydon. Thankfully my step-daughter was home and able to come out and pick me and bike up in her people carrier. If she wasn't available BikerJoe of this parish may have had a visitor! My neck is aching a bit and my hip is bad again but I am basically OK. I am just thankful I fell into the ditch and not the river. The wheel doesn't look too bad in the photo but it wont rotate and is actually cracked so kaput.

Sounds nasty Compo but glad you are Ok. Did the headphone guy help you out at all?

Can see the damage Compo.......crack right at the bottom, glad you are not too badly hurt

compo

Veteran
Sounds nasty Compo but glad you are Ok. Did the headphone guy help you out at all?

Yes, he was very helpful helping me out of the ditch and lifting the bike. I don't think he was being ignorant not moving, I think he genuinely wasn't aware I was behind him. I really must refit my nice loud bell!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A couple of shortish rides today. The first, a 7 miler to Burwell for a bit of late Christmas shopping. So many cars though - even in a tiny place. They were all falling out with eachother over parking- I sometimes wonder of I'm part of the same species . The big towns/ cities must have been murder today. Still, it was great coming home through a village called Reach in the sunshine. Felt quite springlike. Near Swaffham Prior I got inadvertantly a little too close for comfort to a pheasant shoot. I reassured myself that these guys are trained to shoot away from roads. It didn't sound like it though!

Then this afternoon just a 10 miler to watch the massive starling flock come into roost from a bird hide near Reach. They didn't disappoint and a sparrowhawk was hassling them. It was a bit bleak by now for pics but here's a couple of stills from a vid I took of them last weekend.

upload_2013-12-14_17-7-48.png

upload_2013-12-14_17-9-8.png

It's an amazing experience to be right under the flock. Just don't wear your best hat.

Last edited:
Very hard work to get out of the house today, I was in a deep "can't be arsed" mode, Told myself to give it 1/2 an hr and if I felt no better than just do a u turn.
But as is the norm, my ride turned into a lovely 30 +miler with no set route, no set time to be back home, bit of a breeze at times, but lovely late afternoon light. Thoroughly enjoyable ride :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom