Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
:sun: 27 Tandem km to Cognac-le-Forêt - Had lunch at the 'Plan d'eau'. I have no idea why it has that name and French Wikipedia is not much more help - http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_d'eau (for those with more French language skills than me :laugh:)

P4140022.jpg

The beach in it's usual state for 10 months of the year i.e. empty :wacko:

P4140023.jpg

Met a guy on a scooter on the way out who had never seen a tandem before :rolleyes:

jhawk

Veteran
No riding for me today - weather looking ominous. Supposed to be nice tomorrow though! :smile:

However, today will be a busy day, e-mails to write, articles to write, interviews to give... :addict:

Everything's rather coming up roses, at the moment!:wahhey:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
28.07 Miles on a beautiful sunny day to Henley again but this time via AW Cycles in Caversham, to sniff at the bikey bling. After that along some fast scary roads to Henley then on the way but back after lunch and ice cream along yesterdays route, ending up going very fast (42.6 mph) down Whitchurch Hill which was FAB.

Sulham to Henley via Caversahm .png

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Sort of 2 rides today. I rode to the bike shop and then test rode one of their carbon jobbies for 2.7 miles and then carried on on my Defy. Total ride today was 9.71 miles including the test ride. We just pootled around the Wymondham area. I was knackered and turned for home half a mile early as I was not feeling the love and I was cold too. I am still cold so lovely hubby is making a bacon butty and a cup of tea. Total ride time 47 mins & 35 secs.

Gareth C

Veteran
L’Enfer du Nord (Est)

The very excellent Cycle Hub had arranged a themed ride for the weekend of the Paris-Roubaix. The ride was 100 km/62 miles of “seriously challenging riding on a mix of tarmac, cobbles, farm tracks, bridleways and wagon-ways. The ethos was to ride entirely unsuitable bikes along entirely unsuitable routes!”

screen-shot-2014-04-14-at-18-21-28.png
Arriving at The Cycle Hub on Saturday morning, several riders had dropped out, but we had a three-or-four locals plus a couple who had travelled down from Scotland for the event. To make it as “pro” as possible, Olly, who was running the event, even had guides to the difficulties for us to tape to our top tubes.
p1360865.jpg

After a quick photo outside The Hub, we set off northwards through Jesmond Dene, picking out cobbled challenges to get warmed up on. The pace was pleasant, and the entire group seemed equally matched.

Out near Stanfordham we had our first major off-road climb, which was all-fine, but resulted in the first puncture of the group. Once regrouped, we headed on into the wind, with rain threatening. At this point, it was my turn for a puncture, but this was rapidly changed and onwards. Before we were soaked, we made the sanctuary of the café at Capheaton.

After bacon butties, cake and coffee, it was time to be whisked home by the tailwind. We made excellent time, and as we approached Newcastle, the route gets more-and-more off-road. The three-star Le Carrefour de Killingworth claimed my second puncture with a massive hit to the rear rim giving me a snake-bite puncture.

The obstacles had all been given French-sounding names, and the ascent of the feared Col de Weatslade gave panoramic views over Newcastle. As we headed back into Newcastle, Olly had even arranged a velodrome finish in Heaton. Once done, back into Jesmond Dene and a final cobbled climb before landing at The Cycle Hub for fantastic coffee and memories of a beautiful day out.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I wanted to do an adventurous ride today so headed for the hills to ride the Stiperstones and the Long Mynd.

That dratted wind is still with us. It wasn't quite as strong as it's been on the last few rides but was quite a bit colder. This made the choice of clothes tricky (glad I didn't go for shorts in the end) and it made its presence felt as I headed to Pontesbury and Minsterley. After climbing to Snailbeach I took a small detour to look at the old mine workings (lead was mined here from Roman times until about the 1960s) before continuing the climb up through the other villages to The Bog where a Red Kite was soaring along the hillside near to the visitor centre.

I had a break and a bite of lunch at the car park for the Stiperstones then dropped down into the valley the other side and heading for Wentnor as I intended to climb up onto the Long Mynd via Asterton Bank.:ohmy:

On the main road to Wentnor I wondered why a black VW Golf was coming at me straddling the white line. I got an answer quite quickly when there was a loud thump and scrape of metal on tarmac - the suspension had been lowered and it was hitting the ground on the slightest of bumps.:laugh: I very much doubt that is road legal.:rolleyes:

Through Wentnor and onto the Asterton Prolley Moor and I could now see Asterton Bank looming ahead. At the foot of the climb I met a couple of guys on mountain bikes who were looking for Shooting Box (the most direct route is up the bank) but didn't seem keen when I said how steep it was. I set off anyway and later saw them way down in the valley following a gravel track.

As many of you will know, I did Hardknott Pass last summer - having done that did not make Asterton Bank seem any easier. This climb is utterly relentless until you get to the top, so I was fairly chuffed to be able to make it without needing to stop.:wahhey:

The rest of the climb to Pole Bank seemed quite easy after that and I like the new surface the National Trust has put on the path from the road to the summit - much easier.:thumbsup:

After a stop at the top and a quick chat with a couple of walkers I continued along the top to High Park (this path has also been resurfaced and I'm not so keen as they've used large gravel so it's like trying to cycle on railway ballast) before descending towards Plush Hill and down Gogbatch.

The last 10 miles or so would usually be quite a quick run but not today with the wind having shifted further round to the north during the day. I headed over Lyth Hill on the way back as the climb seemed preferable to continuing against the wind on the exposed main road - I think it was the right choice.

42.3 very hilly miles at 10.8 mph average today.

DSC0000728.jpg

Pontesbury

DSC0000731.jpg

End of the line at Snailbeach (this is a remnant of the Snailbeach & District Light Railway).

DSC0000734.jpg

Later in the climb and looking back the way I've come - Stiperstones village is just visible on the right.

DSC0000737.jpg

Tankerville. Looking at another of the old mines.

DSC0000740.jpg

Not far from the top and looking down at The Bog visitor centre.

DSC0000742.jpg

The Red Kite soaring on the updraughts.

DSC0000749.jpg

Wentnor.

DSC0000752.jpg

At the foot of Asterton Bank getting ready to start the climb. It is much, much steeper than it appears in this photo.

DSC0000753.jpg

Made it to the top.:wahhey:

DSC0000761.jpg

Looking down on Gogbatch on the way home. (Caer Caradoc in the background).

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
On Sunday I duly turned up at 8.50 am for Dustman Dave's Doddle, one of the annual audaxes organised by local club, Wellington Wheelers. It was a beautiful spring morning, not a cloud in the sky and enough of a breeze to keep the air fresh but without robbing it of its warmth. I even dug out my summer bib shorts, though the first hour or so required a gilet and full-finger gloves. I wasn't overly impressed with the route: the first and final third were on country lanes, mostly done in the opposite direction for the home leg, and the middle section was predominantly on busy roads which robbed the ride of all its fun.

On the plus side, the people running the controls couldn't have been any more welcoming and friendly, as were most of the other riders, and I got to see some new-to-me countryside, to which I fully intend to return this year for further exploration.

All in all, I rode 77 miles at a much faster pace than usual, thanks to my companions - 14.1mph! Oh, and I caught the sun. My bad for not applying suncream. Didn't think I'd need it in April!

Looking out over the Levels to the village of Burrowbridge, overlooked by the landmark hill and ruined church of Burrow Mump which gained infamy during the recent floods as the lone island. It's still strange seeing green rather than blue. Massive relief though.
Levels and Burrowbridge 13apr14 (800x450).jpg

My companions were quite tolerant of my habit of stopping to take photos.
Nr Somerton 13apr14 (800x600).jpg

East Somerset 13apr14 (3) (800x600).jpg

Controls #1 and #3 were both at the Riverside Cafe in Langport. I was good and only had coffee the first time but indulged in a delicious slab of carrot cake on the return leg. D wasn't happy as I has the last piece!
David and my cake in Langport 13apr14 (800x601).jpg

I probably won't do the audax again next year unless there's a change to the route but it was a good day overall - and I bumped into @Baggy at the finish who looked a bit tired after doing the shorter ride on the tandem.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My brother asked if I'd like a ride (wonders never cease :whistle:) but could only manage a short one due to time constraints so we headed over Lyth Hill for a short (8.6 mile) trip round the Longden area before heading back via Annscroft and Hook-a-Gate.

The legs were quite lacking in energy after yesterday, so probably a good move to get out and stretch them.:thumbsup: Doug was getting away from me on the hills for a change.

It was a very enjoyable trip up until encountering the moton who overtook us as we were signalling to turn right off the road at Hook-a-Gate.:cursing: I hope his wheels fall off!

DSC0000762.jpg
The Wrekin from Lyth Hill. Don't know what the problem is but the traffic down on the A49 has all come to a stop.

DSC0000764.jpg

Up at the top of the hill and Doug likes the fact he isn't the slow one today.;)

DSC0000766.jpg

Heading home along a green lane.

iandg

Legendary Member
I got the chance of a lift out to Mangersta on the west coast of Lewis yesterday (with bike). There was blue sky and a favourable wind so I took the afternoon off work and grabbed it. Added on a return to Bosta (Gt Bernera) and returned to Stornoway following the 200km audax route (of an event I'm organising) in reverse (via Calanish, Breascleit and the Pentland Road). Added on a small loop in town to make it my first 100km ride for 2014. All on 48x21 fixed and mostly with tail wind. :smile:

10168111_10152323583507486_3234749262938838583_n.jpg

1544543_10152323583557486_8636926014323500923_n.jpg

10175049_10152323583547486_7651188076320709439_n.jpg

http://www.strava.com/activities/130255482

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Day off work today, got up at normal work time and headed South of Leicester to tackle an Audax route I had found, was very cold first thing and despite the fact I was wearing two pairs of gloves my hands were very cold for a good 30 miles or so. By the end of the ride I was down to fingerless gloves and sweating like a pig. The audax route was hillier than I am used to and I struggled up a couple of climbs, but managed to get up them all. 101 miles done in total.

Second ride of the day was only a mile to the LBS, but they all count!

ScotiaLass

Guru
I really didn't feel up to going for a ride today, but took a painkiller and womaned up!
I'm glad I did, I really enjoyed it and the weather was glorious this morning, with cloudless blue skies and little, if any wind.
I did one of the usual routes, as I didn't feel like going too far, and clocked 10 miles.
The hill remains my nemesis but at least I can cycle up it now...one day I shall conquer it at breakneck speed - well, faster than walking pace anyway! :laugh:
I got back to find hubby had been to town while I was out and brought me a present back...a 8GB iPod Nano! :wub:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom