Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toptom

A nice 72 mile ride with my mate James it nearly killed him as he's not been on a bike for 6 weeks but he was happy to be back out on the bike
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pic of my mate smiling was only 20 miles in:evil:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A bit of a loop round one of my longer regular routes this afternoon, taking in The Quarry in Shrewsbury, Upton Magna, Wroxeter, Cressage, Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Condover.

I did it as a clockwise route this time so was heading against the wind for the first three or four miles before having it help me along most of the way to Cressage. Once there though I had to turn back into the wind and progress slowed a fair bit. It was nice to be out in the :sun:and it was warmer than the ride on Friday which was pleasant. The one good thing about the wind is that all the roads are dry and dusty rather than mud covered like they were a week ago.

There were loads of cyclists in town and I passed a few groups on the way to Upton Magna but hardly anyone else after that. Obviously only the hardened cyclists were venturing further afield today.:whistle:

30.4 miles this time at 12.3 mph average. Could have been better but it was the knockabout bike I was using so not too bad I suppose.

DSC0000710.jpg
Just a few people taking a river trip today - still early in the season though.

DSC0000712.jpg
Another sort of boat trip. In the background is the new development of flats on the Gay Meadow site.

DSC0000715.jpg

Blossom at Downton

DSC0000716.jpg

And some more at Upton Magna.

DSC0000718.jpg
Also at Upton Magna, the former Corbet Arms reopened a few days ago as The Haughmond. Worth giving a try I think.:cheers:

DSC0000721.jpg
The villa at Viroconium (Wroxeter). In its heyday Viroconium was the 4th largest city in Roman Britain.

DSC0000725.jpg
En route to Cressage.

DSC0000726.jpg

Near home now - climbing over Lyth Hill.

G3CWI

Veteran
Peak District Extravaganza

Macc => Whetton Mill (Tea and Weetabix Cake (!)
Whetton Mill => Bakewell (Coke and cheese and pickle roll)
Bakewell => Longnor (Cream Tea)
Longnor => Macc via High Peak Raceway and Axe Edge.

60 miles, 6700ft ascent. Very slow.

Strong headwinds (28km/hr) made the ride from Bakewell torture. A very hard day - but cycled straight to friends house for beer and barbecue. They seem surprised that I was finding any form of movement a tad tricky.

Last edited:

Peteaud

Veteran
Went out with Mrs Aud and headed out via the back lanes to our favourite coffee n cake place.

Did trick Mrs Aud into doing a few more than the promised 25 miles and she managed it, although it was a bit of a slog for her in the last few miles.

All in 30.7 miles, very nice ride out in the sunshine, scrummy cake and very proud of the wife for doing a 30+ :wub: .

A few pics.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

(note the tea pot and also the cake didnt look great, but oh boy was it nice, somerset apple cake :hungry:)

large.jpg

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
197.56km from Blaby to the northern bit of the vale of Belvoir and back. My legs barely coped after 150km....the climb out of the vale and the ridiculous number of hills on the way back....was nice but I'm knackered!

oh excuse the poor photo quality, Belvoir castle...only had my phone with me....

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 57

Saluki

World class procrastinator
After reading all about these proper rides with decent mileages I am almost ashamed to post that I rode around the block (5.11 miles) again. Finally Ken's arse is getting accustomed to his bike saddle again and we are following the advice of riding 5 miles or so for a week before upping our mileage so his bum makes friends with his bike again.
Today we did the 5.11 miles in 22:45 so a bit chuffed with that. Feeling so much better about riding now and can't wait until tomorrow where we might go the other way around the block which is more like 8.2 miles. I won't tell him if you don't.

gavgav

Guru
A bit of a loop round one of my longer regular routes this afternoon, taking in The Quarry in Shrewsbury, Upton Magna, Wroxeter, Cressage, Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Condover.

I did it as a clockwise route this time so was heading against the wind for the first three or four miles before having it help me along most of the way to Cressage. Once there though I had to turn back into the wind and progress slowed a fair bit. It was nice to be out in the :sun:and it was warmer than the ride on Friday which was pleasant. The one good thing about the wind is that all the roads are dry and dusty rather than mud covered like they were a week ago.

There were loads of cyclists in town and I passed a few groups on the way to Upton Magna but hardly anyone else after that. Obviously only the hardened cyclists were venturing further afield today.:whistle:

30.4 miles this time at 12.3 mph average. Could have been better but it was the knockabout bike I was using so not too bad I suppose.

View attachment 42233 Just a few people taking a river trip today - still early in the season though.

View attachment 42234 Another sort of boat trip. In the background is the new development of flats on the Gay Meadow site.

View attachment 42235
Blossom at Downton

View attachment 42236
And some more at Upton Magna.

View attachment 42237 Also at Upton Magna, the former Corbet Arms reopened a few days ago as The Haughmond. Worth giving a try I think.:cheers:

View attachment 42238 The villa at Viroconium (Wroxeter). In its heyday Viroconium was the 4th largest city in Roman Britain.

View attachment 42239 En route to Cressage.

View attachment 42240
Near home now - climbing over Lyth Hill.
Errr I notice that there wasn't a second person on the ride.......:thumbsdown: Where was he on a day like this!!?

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Following a half term week of kitchen appliance hunting it was nice to have a couple of hours to get out. Given the last ride was Wednesday to work I was a tad stiff and spent the first couple of miles through Thorpe/Chertsey nice and spinny before settling into a decent (for me) pace out through Lyne Village and onwards through Foxhills. Normally I'd just run straight into Chobham Village down the 'main' road, but instead today took a different route via Gracious Pond Road. Glad I did as it was a very quiet road with lovely scenery and no cars, decent surface too. Chobham lead on towards Windlesham, where I turned off for Valley End, another new road and one I wished I hadn't taken, was like riding on a washboard for 2 miles! Back home via Chobham Common, a brief stop to watch the model aeroplanes in the distance (not shown in the pic), it's where I learnt to fly some 26 years ago now...
13 April 2014 Chobham.jpg

Nice enough ride, but I failed to hit either of my targets today, achieving 23.5 miles and 671ft climbing. I had aimed for either 30 miles or 1000ft, but the dreaded leg pains came on between Chobham & Windlesham so I turned for home. History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom