Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Longest ride ever today, at 93 miles and 2,500+ metres of climbing. Glasgow, over the Crow Road, up to Loch Katrine, round it then over Duke's Pass and back to Glasgow via Killearn. Wind was brutal, was cramping up something awful on the last 20 miles.

Really need to work on long haul stamina.

Managed to get this pic whilst mate was changing tubes

XROHlGP.jpg
Well done!! I hate riding in the wind

ScotiaLass

Guru
Today I rode from limassol to the summit of mount olympus Cyprus

http://cyprusonabianchi.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/ride-eight-mount-olympus.html?m=1
I enjoyed reading that....well done!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@format Nice photo.

The enemy and I took the carbon road bikes out today and rode from Sulham to Henley on Thames had brunch in Cafe Rouge and rode back. 't'was /is a lovely day, lumpy roads and only one driver managed to pi$$ me off. I think I'm more suited to off road riding me. There were LOADS of cyclists out today on every manifestation of cycle known to man, except a penny farthing.

Sulham to Henley.png

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Sadly only time for just under 20 miles round the local villages as I have wotk this afternoon :cry:

Up and down through Cogenhoe, Whiston Hill and across to Denton.
IMG_20140413_123201.jpg

The spooky old Manor House....

Back into the village and the sunshine.

IMG_20140413_123047.jpg

then across the field roads towards home.

IMG_20140413_122957.jpg

I'm glad I didnt go with the yellow bar tape or I mightn't have seen the bike again! :rolleyes:

Back home with just enough time for a shower, lunch and to post this before work at 14.00
whoosh..thats me running out of the door or I'll be late!

http://app.strava.com/activities/129750210

Last edited:

jhawk

Veteran
That's one thing I love about the UK. Seeing all these maps, it made me realise just how close everything is.

For example, a 50-mile day for me would only get me to the city, here. I live in a small, remote seaside town (~1500 population) and everything is so far away. Although I do have a National Park about an hour and a half away (by bike). So, that's something at least.

I'll have to plan a trip home at some point.

D

Deleted member 1258

57 miles the journey, the transport cafe at Willoughby the destination, a better day than last Sunday, still got that strong wind but most of the ride was done in bright sunshine, out by the the scenic rout through churchover, Sharwell and Swinford, on the big ring with a strong tailwind I rode past Stanford Hall at around 25mph, in Yelvertoft I turned towards Crick and turned more into the wind, made the run into the cafe hard work, the club were already in when I got to the cafe and the place was packed, they had had an excellent turnout, leaving the cafe the slow group and the newcomers group had combined and I joined them for the ride across grandborough fields through to Marton, I left them when they turned of to come into Coventry from the south, continued up the Banbury road to Princethorp to pick up the Fosse Way and come into Coventry past the speedway, A bit of a slog into the wind across Coventry, a lot of the trees on Sewall Highway were in bloom and looking pretty, I averaged 15 mph for the ride which is a good sign my fitness is picking up.

[QUOTE 3025696, member: 10119"]EldestCub setting off on his latest tandem training ride with CrinklyUncle and CrinkyAuntie....[/QUOTE]
50 km, which cost me the fat end of 15 quid for his mid-point carb-loading on carbonara _and_ cheesy chips. And he breezed back into the Den in a manner that would suggest that they'd just nipped round the block. I guess his winter of commuting to and from school on a built-of-lead bmx is paying off :biggrin:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A fairly uneventful main road A34 and A6 urban slog into Manchester for the much awaited CC velodrome session. Got near to sport city only to find road works blocking the way. Did a bit of a reroute and arrived with ten minutes to spare. Signed on hung up bke and picked up the hire bike and spent two hours whizzing around the track. A good turnout with not far short of 30 CCers and with a couple of minor exceptions pretty good riding all round. A final timed flying lap for everyone to push themselves a bit and then everyone departed. Coming out of the velodrome I made a wrong turn and ended up in Newton Heath. Known to me as being the birth place of one of my Grandfathers and also the spiritual home of Manchester United who were formed there many years ago as Newton Heath FC. Without wanting to sound like a snob, all I will say is I don't intend to return in a hurry. Found my way back en route via the city centre and then down the A6 to Stockport. The head/cross wind was challenging the roads were full of craters like Beirut in the eighties, but I do have to admit that I enjoy a bit of in and out with the cars in traffic which is something you don't get to do on rural rides that often.
Just put the lamb in the oven and looking forward to a hearty meal with family. ^_^

I left the decision with my OH as to what bikes we used this morning. Mountain bikes and a ride into Delamere Forest using the new Oakmere Way which we have yet to do, or road bikes and a 40 miler which we had done before...:whistle: He chose the road bikes, so I duely sent the ride to the garmins without double checking the route - after all we had ridden it before, why did I need to double check it?

So we set off, got to the end of our lane, turned right up the shorter of the 2 hill options we have and were promptly informed we were off course. :eek: So we decided to turn around and follow the course in the other direction doing all the hills first and coming home across the Cheshire plains...What could possibly go wrong with that idea (cue the wind from the NW later on as we cycled North across the Cheshire plains...:surrender:).

Well the first part of the ride was fine... we knew where we were and where we were heading, so we thought... We're not sure where life changed from known to unknown, but it did.... and thinking back on it, we think we revised the route, extended it a touch and made it a +50 miler... only I had never double checked all of the route was road, because as we all know Garmin and its ability to stick to roads (even when that tick box is checked) is erm, limited....

The first clue that something was amiss came in the form of the dead end sign... but we were still on a national cycle route, so continued... after the surface became a track we asked a dog walker... should be OK, but it is muddy in places... well we can always walk can't we?

IMG_0409.JPG

(Garmin routing up to its old tricks again!)

So somehow we ended up cycling along a smooth (dry) mud bridlepath on road bikes towards the "Hockenhull Platts" as they are known... I had gone on ahead whilst my OH took an opportunity to scent mark the scenery again, and I promptly met 2 ladies walking towards me. After stopping and delaying them slightly, I tactfully suggested they made some noise as the carried on, (explaining the situation)... :laugh: they opted for the throw the ball for the dog and call it back approach... problem diverted...

IMG_0411.JPG

The next hazard came in the form of the 3 bridges...

IMG_0412.JPG

Some scenery...

IMG_0416.JPG

And my OH trying hard to run me over - these road cyclist you know have no sense of control and he looks rather like he is enjoying it!

From there we managed to return to the roads (thankfully) and soon found somewhere sensible for lunch. The morning had been harder than I had wanted or needed for some reason.

IMG_0419.JPG

Fritillary at our lunch spot in Tattenhall I think. (I was determined to get lunch in before we hit the Tattenhall hills.)

Going up the Tattenhall hills, I actually started to catch up 3 other road cyclist - this is unheard of and so not like me :laugh:... Sadly they got away from me later on, when I decided to cause a pile-up by striping at the side of the road. This morning had not been warm and there was no sign of the promised warm sunshine that the weather forecast was forecasting, so I had opted for a merino wool top and my long sleeved jersey... soon after the Tattenhall hills the sun came out, the clouds vanished and I overheated badly... so at a crossroads, hearing no cars I decided to lose the merino wool top (I tried it by itself but it was too cold...) and just as I pulled the merino wool top over my head exposing the world to my sports bra - well you can guess the rest... the WVM refrained from laughing after my OH's comments made me stick my middle finger up at my OH... (" screech, crash, bang and there's another vehicle running off the road...")...

A cafe stop at Nantwich marina was the next order of the day, and then the long haul back home across the cheshire plains into a stiff headwind which was at time holding me on my inner chainring on the flats.

IMG_0423.JPG

Looking back the way we have come from.

IMG_0424.JPG

Much closer to home and after the last of the minor (but steep) climbs and much subtly whining on my half (missed by my OH completely about the Whitegate Way being flatter and easier to get home on), I bonked... and had to stop. I sent my OH on without me: I simply can't cope with him sitting behind me too closely to allow me to stop if I need to, too closely for me to even ease up etc... and I wasn't in the mood for him sitting behind me leaving me to do all the work into the headwind (something he always does), so having sent him on ahead, I had 5 mins at the side of the road before taking it easy on the final 3-4 miles.

Somehow a 40 miler became a 53.5 miler and a lot tougher than either of us wanted. Guess that chip butty last night wasn't big enough :ohmy:
http://www.strava.com/activities/129851741

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom