Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Todays ride was going to be an early run (well, 8:30 ish early..) to avoid the school mums and get to WGP so I could ride round the lake without worrying about the yummy mummies and their buggies. However, for one reason or another, I was still sat on the sofa drinking tea at 0845hrs:rolleyes:
I finally set off at nearly half past 9, just a bit off target, and far too late to consider the lake ride. Instead I headed out Chertsey - St Annes Hill - Lyne and then onwards towards Chobham, giving a quick hello to the lady cyclist having a break outside the 3 Horseshoes pub. Headed off up 'The Steep' which is anything but, before a run through Chobham Woods and my first break at one of the many Chobham Common car parks for Haribo's.
I wanted to find out where a road went back in Englefield Green, so headed back that way via Callow Hill which has recently been resurfaced (with proper tarmac, not the chippings) and had a nice 30mph downhill from that, before joining the A30 briefly. My mystery road, it turns out, is like a short cut from Englefield Green High Street through to Savill Gardens which is nice. Went into WGP via Bishopsgate and along the polo fields. By now I'd done 21 miles, and decided that since I was going to hit 30 by home then a coffee stop was in order. They have finished filming the new Tarzan film at Obelisk Pond now, so the big paddle steamer that was on the lake is now lots of bits of paddle steamer on lorries! Quick coffee and a Mars then retraced my steps home. 31 miles today and about 2.5 hours, happy with that. Only 1 picture, and not from my ride today, but the dog walk yesterday. For those who know WGP, these are painted on the floor at both approaches to the Cascade..
08 Sept 2014 Don't Fall Off At VW.jpg

robjh

Legendary Member
Just got back from my hols and to a reliable internet connection, so this is delayed report from Thursday 28th August, written on the day

My first Alpine pass and first ride in Austria – two firsts in one day. At 1092 metres in height and only about 210 metres climb, the Gaicht pass near Reutte in Tirol is a tiddler in Alpine terms, but it was a start.

I’m currently in southern Bavaria on a motorhome holiday with Mrs rjh and the dog, and I left them for the afternoon at a lakeside campsite at Lechbruck and went out looking for a brief taste of mountain cycling (and with the added task of buying tonight’s dinner). I rode first down to the town of Füssen, which is hugely pretty and crammed with visitors, where, on a whim I did my shopping early, hence adding 1.5 kilos of bread and sausages to my weight on the climbs. I’d already packed waterproofs, an extra jersey and leg-warmers in a pannier just in case, so I wasn’t travelling that light.
There were quite a few other cyclists out, a mix of road and mountain bikers on the hill stretches, and in the flatter parts a lot of people touring on a sort of tough hybrid bike with full racks, wide-ish tyres and straight bars.

After Füssen I crossed into Austria, and took the quieter of two roads to Reutte in Tirol. I then did around 15km on the Lech valley road, itself flat but with the mountains drawing closer on each side, and at the village of Weissenbach turned right up the Gaicht pass. It was surprisingly easy, on a well-made road that zig-zagged up the valley side at a steady gradient. I don’t know the percentage but I stayed in the same gear most of the way and maintained 6 to 8 mph all the way up. I was now in the Tannheim valley, high and wide and flattish, then a few km further on turned right again for a long steady descent to the town of Pfronten, back in Germany, and from there on it was another 40km or so across a landscape of undulating green meadows back to Lechbruck.

Altogether 117km ridden, in 4½ hours of riding, or closer to 6 including stops, and a great afternoon and some marvellous scenery.

Füssen :
20140828 (9) Füssen.JPG

The climb to the pass, looking down.
20140828 (17) climb to Gaichtpass.JPG

In the Tannheim valley
20140828 (18) in Tannheimer Tal.JPG

Crossing back into Germany, on the road to Pfronten
20140828 (23) border on Grän-Pfronten road.JPG

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
N
Colin and Carrie go mad in the Highlands!

I just spent a week in the Highlands with my family and a friend and got 3 rides in, between family activities and dog walking. I intended to report the rides while I was up there but the site wifi was down so I have been offline and am now catching up.

My friend Carrie had brought her dog Buster up with her so our riding opportunities were limited to when my sisters would look after him. We in turn looked after their dogs while they went off and did their own thing on other days.

We had really good luck with the weather for our holiday. There was overnight rain a couple of times, and overcast/drizzly conditions on a few mornings, but 90% of the daylight hours were sunny!

This is the first of 3 'Your Ride A Few Days Ago' posts ... Tue 2nd September - Gleann Salach/Loch Etive loop. We promised that we would only be out for 2 hours so we didn't have time to do some of the longer routes that I fancied. The most obvious shorter one was pretty nice though so we were not too disappointed.

We headed through Benderloch, round by Barcaldine Castle, aka 'The Black Castle'. These days though, it is more of a pink castle, its render having been lightened somewhat since the last time I saw it! It is now an upmarket B&B and is in a lovely spot, so if you fancy a few days somewhere different, check it out on their website.

View attachment 55622

We continued down the lane to the A828, then turned left towards Fort William. There is a good cycle path along stretches of this road so we used those. It looks like the authorities are trying to join up the various stretches of the path but there are currently gaps forcing you back onto the road. The road is pretty busy in summer but we were just beyond the main holiday season so it was not too bad. The path uses sections of the former steam railway line, but that shut down about 50 years ago and many parts of its route have been built on since then. Finding alternatives will not be easy because of the lochs, hills, mountains and villages in the way!

We turned right up the B845 at Barcaldine. The road climbs up through Gleann Salach, with Forestry Commission plantations on either side of the road. I found it so much easier this year than I did on my previous visit when I was still about 4 stone overweight!

Carrie stopped to take off her jacket and I carried on up the hill to take a few pictures.

View attachment 55625

Once over the summit of the hill, there are soon views of distant mountains, and Loch Etive below. (Before some eagle-eyed smart Alec points it out - yes, I do know that my tyres don't match! I replaced the front one because it was starting to cut up pretty badly. I put a new tyre on and carried the old one as a spare during the holiday - we were riding in some remote spots with no telephone reception and I didn't fancy long walks with my bike if a tyre got written off!)

View attachment 55626
We whizzed down the descent to the loch, avoiding miscellaneous Kamikaze Swaledale sheep who seemed to have strayed quite a long way from their Yorkshire origins!

I was chuffed to feel how much my breathing has improved over the past few weeks. I had been feeling really rough after a bad cold, but my health picked up just in time for this trip. I was sprinting up short climbs and enjoying them, rather than grovelling up in my easiest gears.

View attachment 55633

We rode round Black Crofts to get a look at Connel Bridge. There are some seriously expensive and fantastic-looking properties along that road. I would love to be able to afford one. We can but dream though, eh?

View attachment 55634

We whizzed down the road and got back in exactly 2 hours. It was only a 20-miler but it was a fine little loop. A nice warm-up for the following day's ride, which was to be a circuit of the Isle of Mull![/QUOTE. Nice writeup and policies, Colin. I passed that bridge at Connell about 3hrs ago on my way to Ivan.[/QUOTE
Nice writeup and pictures, Colin. Saw that bridge 3 hrs ago on the way to catching the ferry to Uist. If my hols are half as good as yours seem to have been, I.'ll be a happy man.

D

Deleted member 23692

After yesterday's Grizedale adventure, I went to Kielder today for a trip round the reservoir (again)... and it was almost deserted :smile:

Part way round my bike felt a bit tired and wanted a rest, so I took a photo whilst it did so...

keilder1_zps95afa79a.jpg

And when I become a super criminal, intent on taking over the world... this will be my lair

keilder2_zpsa8338c33.jpg

Oh... a map

full.png

25miles / 1900ft acsent @10.8mph... not too bad a ascent considering I'm cycling around a flat lake :smile:

Deedee58

At the moment can't <sob> cycle sneezed hard on Monday morning and the fecking dodgy rib sort of went pop again ....:cry:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nice writeup and pictures, Colin. Saw that bridge 3 hrs ago on the way to catching the ferry to Uist. If my hols are half as good as yours seem to have been, I.'ll be a happy man.
The forecast is for at least another week of this good weather - have fun on your holiday! :hello:

Colin and Carrie go mad in the Highlands! (Part 2)

We managed to blag full-day dog-sitting for Wednesday and Friday and were determined to make the most of both days. So ... Wed 3rd September - Tour of the Isle of Mull!

I am not yet fit enough to ride quickly over long distances and we planned to do an 87 mile circuit of Mull on this ride so I wanted the maximum amount of time to do it in. That meant catching the first ferry from Oban to Mull, leaving at around 07:45, and coming back on the last ferry at 19:00.

I got my stuff together but somehow forgot to eat any breakfast. (I think it was too early to have worked up an appetite.) I remembered just after Carrie arrived from her campsite to pick me up. (No tent for me - I was staying in 4-star accommodation nearby with my sisters!) I grabbed a couple of bananas from the fruit bowl to eat on the way.

We arrived in Oban at 07:15 and bought our tickets. After that, it was a case of hanging about and waiting to be sent on board our ferry.

I have somehow managed to get to the ripe old age of 58 without ever sailing on the sea before. I remember a boat trip down the Thames as a child, and one across Derwent Water as an adult, but I don't remember any other trips in boats/ships. I was pretty excited about this one!

Oban to Mull ferry.jpg

Cyclists Q here.jpg

At long last we were sent down into the bowels of the ferry where we tied up our bikes and we then climbed up onto the deck to check out the action.

The first thing to do was to get photographic evidence of how much I am looking like my late father as I get older. It does my head in a bit to be looking older in my photos than the old boy was in most of the photos I have of him! Well, here's the best of the bunch. Compare and contrast with the 50 year old version of me in my current avatar photo, above left (which will be changed at some point soon for a suitably decrepit one!).

ColinJ Oban to Mull ferry.jpg

We were given the routine safety announcement, which for some reason reduced Carrie to fits of giggles. Maybe it was me muttering silly responses in a fake Scottish accent ... :whistle:

PA system: "Noo in case of a wee problem, the ship's whistle will be sounded 7 times ..."

Colin : "But if ye lose count and cannae be shoore whether it was 6 blasts or 7, just stay where ye are until a crew member comes along and then ask them how many blasts it was. If nae crew member turns up, or your feet end up under water, or ye start to slide off the deck, it would be best to assume a count of 7 and take emergency action!" :laugh:

Ha ha. Anyway ... we stayed on deck as we backed out of port, but soon the combination of chilly winds and smoking passengers drove us back into the cafeteria. I decided that I wasn't feeling at all hungry, but it would make sense to try and eat something so I bought myself a scone and jam, plus a coffee. For some reason, I did not have my usual appetite. This would come back to haunt me later!

The 45 minute journey was quite fun and seemed to pass much quicker than that. Soon we were disembarking at Craignure, on Mull.

Conditions were still grey, chilly, and damp. I began to worry that not carrying a proper waterproof might turn out to be a bad decision, but the forecast had been very positive. Only light showers before 10:00, and lovely conditions later.

We headed south, and it started raining. Super! Nothing to do now, but carry on, but if there were too much of this then I would be in trouble because I was not dressed for really poor weather. Fortunately it was not long before the showers stopped.

As we rode south we started to see some rugged mountains in the distance. For some reason, I hadn't realised that Mull was as lumpy as it is, so it came as a shock to see towering peaks with an evil-looking mist swirling about them!

We began to climb the hilly road over Glen More, below Mull's lone 'Munro', Ben More.

Glen More Isle of Mull.jpg

Suddenly, a text message popped up on my phone. I was surprised because I assumed that there would be no signal up there. I ignored it. Then another message arrived. I decided that I had better check in case my sisters were having problems back on the mainland ...

bromptonfb: Fancy a brew? I'll be in Hebden 11:30ish.

Wrong day, my CC pal!

ColinJ: Would do, but am 6 miles into an 87 mile circuit of the Isle of Mull!

Pause, then another SMS came in ....

bromptonfb: Haha!

As we descended from Glen More, I started to become aware that I was not feeling at all well. I don't mean 'keeling over suddenly and dying from blood clots' type of unwell, more of a 'Oh no, what have I eaten?' kind of unwell.

If we were talking about the Starship Enterprise, I would say that the warp core containment fields were in danger of collapse. That is, the upper and lower containment fields. Simultaneously. Oh, deep joy! xx(

Fortunately, I didn't have another 87 miles of undulating riding to do. Unfortunately, I did have another 68 miles of undulating riding to do ...:eek:

I felt like turning round, riding back up over Glen More, and heading for an earlier ferry home. No, no, we cyclists are made of sterner stuff. We don't let nausea and impending squits put us off, not even when we are going to end up miles from anywhere, without a phone signal and a ferry deadline to worry about - onward!

Maybe the illness was my excuse? Maybe it was the fact that I had only got about 3 hours sleep before getting up to do this ride? Whatever the reason was, what I did next redefined 'stupid'!

Carrie and I came to the junction at the end of Loch Beg. This was the only junction that we really had to think about. We were doing a clockwise tour round Mull and we basically needed to follow one road, keeping the sea to our left. Carrie asked whether to turn right, with the sea loch on our left, or left, with the sea loch on our right. So, of course, I said we should head left. That's left, right? No - it was left, wrong! :wacko: (For once, I had not bothered putting the route on my GPS. It was so simple that even a total fool could remember it ... D'oh!)

We headed off down that road which is actually the one that goes down to the crossing to Iona. On the way we encountered a man in a fluorescent jacket clutching a walkie talkie. He asked us ever so nicely if we would mind stopping for a few minutes because a film crew were shooting a scene down the road and we would be riding into the middle of it if we continued. We waited until the walkie talkie crackled into life and the all-clear was given.

My ghastly guts were getting ghastlier by the minute! I kept trying to eat but the only thing I could stomach was the odd small piece of chocolate. I couldn't even stand to drink more than a tiny sip once in a while. I have no idea what caused those problems - when I got back to the holiday site later I checked with my family and they were all ok, despite having eaten the same meals as me the day before.

I had been getting more and more uneasy about the large expanse of sea to our right. I couldn't quite explain away what it was, given that it should not be there. In the end, I had to bow to the inevitable and admit that we had gone the wrong way back at that junction. We had gone 12.5 miles down an undulating road and we would have to turn and go all the way back up it again. I think the phrase "Oh Drat!" was used a couple of times! :sad:

We were at the village of Bunessan and stopped there for refreshments. Or rather - Carrie had refreshments, while I spent 10 minutes ensconced in a public toilet desperately seeking relief and failing to find any. My innards felt like they wanted to explode at any minute, but the damn things resolutely refused to do so when granted the opportunity! As for the other end ... the slightest hint of food was enough to make me feel like hurling. I began to wonder whether it might be wiser just to stick a finger down my throat and make it happen, but decided not to because to lose what little food and drink I had managed to swallow could have been disastrous.

We headed back towards the junction and I soon realised that I was teetering on the brink of bonking. I had to slow to a crawl and stand for the slightest rise in the road, and that road was far from flat.

TBH - the ride became a bit of a nightmare for me. I have not felt that bad on a bike for years (except for one ride in 2012 when I was unaware that I was seriously ill).

It was a great shame, because the scenery was fantastic, but I was in no fit state to enjoy it. I felt guilty for slowing Carrie down. She is superfit and was having to ride at less than 10 mph to wait for me.

Singletrack road West Mull.jpg

Things went from bad to worse and 5 or 6 times I had to dismount and lie down at the side of the road to regain enough strength to continue! Motorists and other cyclists were slowing down to ask if I were ok!

I limped on. It had been clear that we could not do the full loop. I knew that there was a shortcut across the isalnd to Salen, and then we could head south to catch the return ferry from Craignure.

We finally got back with about 80 minutes to wait for the ferry. I got a sweet coffee down, and then a bar of chocolate and they perked me up a little.

We got off the ferry in Oban at 19:45 and rode back to our van, finally getting back to my accommodation at sunset. All I could face eating was 2 slices of toast and some scrambled eggs.

I had a quick bath, then went to bed early. I started shivering and had to put extra layers on to keep warm in bed. That was a sure sign of how low my energy reserves were. I normally feel too warm rather than too cold.

A lovely island, but a tough 74 mile day on it for me! I hoped for better things on our 3rd ride of the holiday, the century ride from Fort William, planned for Friday.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Best of luck with your ailment, Colin. Was there a couple of weeks ago. (Ailing, not Scotland)

Hope you feel better soon, Colin. I was ill when I was on holiday and was only brave enough for a walk on the beach.
Thanks. I am back in Yorkshire now, and what happened next on the holiday will be revealed in part 3 of my Scottish ride reports this evening after I return from today's ride in the sunshine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom