Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Tomorrows unfavourable weather forecast kind of forced my hand today & I guess with a clear blue sky overhead & just a little chilly north-westerly blowing it would have been a shame not to out & get 2015's cycling under way.

With no real plan I headed north-west through the New Forest before turning north-east onto a road I'd only done once previously but I remember enjoying as it had a nice gentle 1.7 mile climb just after the pretty village of Whiteparish in Wiltshire. Steering clear of any minor roads likely to be wet from the overnight rain I headed back into Hampshire, through West & East Dean before crossing the River Test at Kimbridge. Continuing to play it by ear, Timsbury & Braishfield were next on the agenda before heading for the Doomsday book recorded Kings Somborne & then turning for home along the Test Valley.

The fine weather & I guess a long new years holiday meant there were literally dozens of cyclists out today which was nice to see, however, there were also the usual collection of moronic car drivers & on no less than three occasions I was forced to brake or take evasive action at junctions as they obviously couldn't see my bright red jacket! :wacko:

2015 account opened with a nice 51 miles in the winter sun.

http://www.strava.com/activities/235650533

001.JPG

Whilst this sign was indeed pointing west surely at around 3,500 miles away it was a bit early!

003.JPG

It would appear that the villagers of East Dean wanted to keep their phone box & have a library!

004.JPG

A spot by the river is always a nice place to stop for a snack.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I got a text asking if I wanted to go out for a ride.
I had already put it off because it looked too windy and it had been raining...but thought 'to heck with it' and was on the bike within 15 mins, after putting some air in my tyres.
I decided against over trousers, so just had summer longs on, maybe that was a mistake!!

We did 15 a mile circuit around the towpaths. Heading out into a 15mph headwind was no fun but I stuck it out, despite having thoughts about turning back!
Once onto the Union canal and heading home, it was much easier as it's also slightly downhill as well.
It was still quite wet from all the rain the past few days, but that made it more fun splashing through the mud and puddles!
I have no overshoes (I wear trainers as they are more comfortable for me) so my feet got soaked, along with the rest of me :laugh:

I washed the bike and my kit is in the wash too.
Even now, almost an hour later, I still can't feel my backside!

I'm a dirty, dirty girl!! :laugh:
20150102_160758.jpg 20150102_160904.jpg

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Enjoyed a 20 mile saunter along the Lodes Way here this afternoon. Thought I'd make the most of a sunny day as tomorrow is forecast to be wet and cold (which of course means it will be dry and mild!)

Stopped off at the National Trust place at Wicken Fen. Lots of folk enjoying the sunshine. Only took one pic today though at Wicken Fen. There's a windmill there somewhere..

image.jpg

The bird sightings book at Wicken visitors centre suggested a bullfinch had just been seen nearby, so I headed to the likely spot as they're very rare here, but no luck. On Burwell Fen I watched a kestrel rob a short eared owl of its prey which was quite something. I've seen kestrels do that with the smaller barn owls before but taking on a big short eared owl requires some courage I reckon! Think I spotted 5 short eared owls in total- the best tally of the winter so far.

Home by 4-30 and feeling chilly by then. Really looking forward to Spring now!

27 miles on the cross bike this morning. A mixture of road and trails. Weather wasn't too great - pretty windy and wintery showers but it was good to get out and get some fresh air. Heading out again tomorrow morning as the forecast is better.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
About 3.30 this afternoon I was ponsing about on the CC reading about all the nice rides everyone was having and feeling bit jealous, I thought I’d go for quick blatt about on the MTB, so I mindful of the fact that it gets dark about 4.30, I got togged up, put some lights on the bike just in case and set off along the tracks towards the Ridgeway. I don’t know this area I hadn’t planned a ride, I just thought I’d go out for an hour and see where the bike took me.

I had a lovely time, the evening was bright and cold, the tracks were quiet, the hard pack was dry but there were some very muddy sections too, I only saw two dog walkers, and I stopped and chatted, it was so peaceful out there, I got a bit lost at one stage then I saw he red pilot lights of the Didcot power station tower, so I headed towards them and eventually came to a very fast bit of tarmac that lead me to Blewbury, from there I knew where I was. Good job I had the lights it was dark for the last 20 minutes of the ride. I had one clip less moment where I got stuck in a muddy rut, and twatted in the face by branch that made my nose bleed for a bit.

A lovely spontaneous 10.81 miles on a crisp, bright January evening.

1-IMG_1521.JPG

Muddy track, two horse riders in the distance.

2-IMG_1522.JPG

Sun setting over the Ridgway.

3-IMG_1523.JPG

Nice bit of hard pack track

4-IMG_1524.JPG

The A34 in the distance.

5-IMG_1527.JPG

Peaceful away from the A 34.

6-IMG_1528.JPG

An old railway bridge thanks to Mr Beeching.

7-IMG_1529.JPG

MUD!

8-IMG_1531.JPG

Getting dark.

9-IMG_1534.JPG

Muddy bike.

Ridgeway2.png

32 MPH no bad on a MTB!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
.......... On Burwell Fen I watched a kestrel rob a short eared owl of its prey which was quite something. I've seen kestrels do that with the smaller barn owls before but taking on a big short eared owl requires some courage I reckon! Think I spotted 5 short eared owls in total- the best tally of the winter so far.........
Am I alone in wondering how you get close enough to measure their ears?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Not only my first ride of the year but a journey of discovery today. I wanted to find out a) whether I could manage an imperial century in winter and b) whether one was possible on the knockabout bike (I know my best bike is one that would be a pub bike for many of you but I like it and there is no way I'm taking it out on the muddy, gritty, salty roads of a Shropshire winter)

I set my alarm for 6am and got on the road by 7.10 (it's dark out there at this time of the morning :ohmy:) heading south over Lyth Hill and through Condover and Acton Burnell to Cardington where I got to see the sunrise over Brown Clee Hill (and took a photo which has spectacularly failed to do justice to the sight). Next I turned north towards Harley, then via a bit of a roundabout route to Cressage. Here I was finding the strengthening wind felt quite icy so put on a third fleece (yes, I am nesh and freely admit it).

After Cressage the wind also felt like it was working against me . I wasn't riding directly into it but the blustery and cold conditions were making for slow progress which was to last for the next 50 miles.:cry:

I had a distraction at Eyton-on-Severn where a farm dog decided to chase after me barking furiously. He ddn't seem to like my tactic of talking gently to him and lost interest after a while.:giggle:

Although I'd tried to pace myself, by Roden (approx 38 miles) I was starting to struggle and was starting to wonder whether I'd manage a metric century, let alone the imperial one. Perhaps I should have swapped the snow stud tyres back to the TourRides for this one.:unsure:

I struggled through Shawbury and on to Wem (seeing a very near miss when a lorry overtaking me almost took out a BMW coming the other way.:eek:

By Wem (48 miles) I was seriously considering abandoning the ride, but thought I'd try and make it to Ellesmere and make a decision there. A few drink and food stops were needed but I got there (metric century :wahhey:) and didn't feel any worse than at Wem so decided to carry on to Oswestry and make a decision whether to call for help there. This was a tough section of the ride - it's quite lumpy and was directly into the wind. I was down to about 9mph on the flat bits and 5 to 7mph on the hills. Not good. Despite this, stubbornness carried me though to the hill fort at Oswestry where I had a good drink (had run out of food by this point) and thought I'll try getting as far as Melverley as it's easier for my brother to pick me up if I have to call him from there.

With the wind now behind me and about 5 miles of gentle downhill I found a second wind and was cruising along quite comfortably. I stopped to see if a couple of cyclists with a puncture were okay (they were and wished me a happy new year) before continuing enjoying the ride at last.

All good things must come to an end and this good run did at Maesbrook where the road to Melverley was flooded. This meant a detour to Knockin and attempting to get to Melverley via a different road (which fortunately wasn't flooded). By Melverley I was wishing I'd stopped at the Knockin Shop as I was running out of energy and could barely turn the pedals. The idea of how nice a bag of jelly babies would be pervaded my thoughts for a few miles, then I remembered there is a post office at Westbury, the thought of which kept me moving when on another occasion I might have just given up.

The post office was open :wahhey: and did have jelly babies and wine gums :hyper:, two packs of each were purchased and one whole pack was consumed which gave me enough energy to finish the last 11 miles.

102.81 miles at 11.2mph average today (almost 11 hours on the road though if you include all the stops :eek:)
Lessons learned:
I can do an imperial century on the knockabout bike.
I really shouldn't have done it on the snow stud tyres :stop::stop::stop:.
Jelly babies can save a ride from almost certain disaster.:thumbsup:

DSC0001960.jpg

Crossing Lyth Hill at the start. The first light of dawn is just starting to show.

DSC0001967.jpg

Not long after official sunrise I'm by the Royal Oak at Cardington.

DSC0001968.jpg

Looking back towards the Stretton Hills from near Wroxeter. I was riding the pass between The Lawley and Caer Caradoc (the two peaks in the middle of shot) about 15 miles ago.

DSC0001969.jpg

The ruins of Viroconium at Wroxeter.

DSC0001972.jpg

Wem

DSC0001974.jpg

The former Cambrian Railway station at Crickett (near Ellesmere)

DSC0001977.jpg

At Maesbrook: Uh, oh. That wasn't in the plan - time to take a detour.

DSC0001978.jpg

The radio telescope at Knockin.

DSC0001980.jpg

The Knockin Shop is open. I'm fine though - don't need anything.:whistle:

DSC0001981.jpg

10 miles or so later: Westbury Post Ofiice - I'm saved.:hyper:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom