Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wayne Tully

28.5 mile pootle with our lass, longest ride she has done
Fair play, that's a decent distance.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice 45 mile club ride, had to bail out after 20 miles and start heading back home, as we had my Daughters Birthday to attend. Was not exactly sure of the way home when i left the club ride, the ride could have been shorter if i had not got lost, but hey ho it was extra miles so all good, and i got back to early.^_^

potsy

Rambler
35 miles around some muddy lanes of Cheshire, bike is an absolute mess.
Stopped for a coffee in Timperley on the way back, then took my two riding partners on a detour/guided tour of my soon to be new commute route, all 3 miles of it.
Good ride, lots of fellow riders out, no pics as I forgot the camera :rolleyes:

ScotiaLass

Guru
Just back from a very muddy, but totally enjoyable 12 miles!
Mixture of cycle path, towpath and trail.

Loved every freakin' minute!!

I wore shorts today to see if it would help the sore butt issue. They had better padding so possibly, but what I did notice was I kept sliding myself towards the back of the saddle. So either, the saddle needs to be moved back a few mm's or it's tilted, or both!

I'm going to look at that tomorrow.
In the meantime, here's a few dirty pics...:laugh:

20140119_132750_resized_zpsa3628982.jpg

Muddy pit stop at the bottom of the cemetery hill

20140119_132803_resized_zpsc1fcd2df.jpg

Told you it was muddy....

Last edited:
Back from this morning's bike ride with my hubby. T'was an eventful bike ride from the word go. Dusty, the Irish Wolf Hound we are dog sitting for was comfortable on the sofa (don't ask, it's his owner's sofa thankfully) and was not that interesting in being returned to his owner's home (neighbour & landlady) whilst we went out because he knows what that means! Until recently we would have just left him outside - he knows is boundaries and she has +8 acres of land which he roams around, but he has recently been diagnosed with arthritis and now has to be kept warmer and indoors. He's finding the change hard!

IMG_0116.JPG

You want me to do what? I'm comfortable.... (that's a 2-3 seater sofa btw!)

From the start of the ride, my asthma was giving me issues. I could be going down with a chest infection I'm not sure yet! So it was a slow and careful start to the ride for obvious reason. However it did not take long for us to start encountering cyclists en mass and today there were a lot of cyclists out. More than either of us has seen for a long time and the weather and temperature probably had a lot to do with it!

We had a careful wander along backlanes and the odd hardcored bridlepath along the side of the River Weaver (note to self, avoid River Weaver on sunny Sunday morning's.... too many walkers, cyclists, dogs....).

IMG_0120.JPG

The weather is beginning to clear up nicely. (Bridlepath alongside the River Weaver - cleaner and better surface than the lane we live down, so we don't mind it, but needless to say we were the only cyclists on road bikes doing it!)

Then the A49 dash up from the River Weaver, over the traffic lights and first left.... its the worst part of the A49 but there are seriously limited options for crossing the River Weaver and the next crossing up is even worse! As we approached the A49 café, hordes of cyclists were piling into the café... must be a good café despite its location but its too close to home for us. Then a wander around the backlanes around Lewis Carole's birthplace and around the M56 area. Passed the scene of Thursday's mechanical issues and onto Arley Country House estate... 12pm means I have to stop for my steroids, so photo opportunity...

IMG_0123.JPG

Arley Hall (I presume) in the sunshine

IMG_0124.JPG

And my OH doing the "she's taking photos again... she's turned it my way sulk"...

From there the first of our good deeds for the day. A first time out on new bike (and presumably first bike?) when we called out to check a guy on a BSO was OK... turned out he was not. His chain was off, it had jammed between the BB & cassette in that little space they somehow work their way into and he wasn't sure how to get it out... it took a little teasing it out of the area but we soon had him back on his way.

Setting off towards home and the only 'car' issue of the day. The BMW driver was never going to win, but he gave it all he could at the expense of some damage to his paintwork. He got a 'sugar won't melt sweet smile from me' when he finally conceded and pulled over into a gap between 2 parked cars - he had already been stationary between 2 others for the car in less than 10m front of me, but apparently cyclists don't count and pulled back out despite it being my right of way, me wearing newly washed hi-viz jacket and having my front light on, so I refused down right to budge from my line and cycled straight at him (no way in h**l was I going anywhere near the wet cobbles to the side of me that is the 'pavement' at that point!).

We were almost home before the next person needing our assistance asked for it. A young lad in football kit trying to find the local football club. I'm guessing he has not walked there before because it was several miles away still and he was lost...

Now to wash the mud off the 2 bikes, yet again and @potsy the roads are clean(ish) in Cheshire at the moment - it was torrential rain overnight, all night and most of the mud has been washed away, honest!

http://www.strava.com/activities/107453842 Just the 48km this morning. Roughly 30 miles.

D

Deleted member 1258

57 miles the journey Ullesthorpe the destination, Ullesthorpe isn't too far from me so I had to come up with a scenic route, I did the Desford route in reverse but passed through Desford without stopping and modified the end of the ride to take in the Ullesthorpe garden centre and do a scenic route home from the Garden Centre, a bit dull, overcast and wet under foot as I left Coventry but by the time I got to Ansley it was drying out and the sun was shining, the descent of Purley Chase was a bit more interesting than I wanted it to be, I spun the fixed up over 30mph going for 35mph before the sharp left at the bottom and my right calf cramped up, I had to stop a bit sharp and spend some time stretching it before continuing, apart from getting left hooked about half a mile from home the rest of the ride was most enjoyable, lots of cyclists out, the cafe was crammed when I got there, I hadn't used that cafe since it was refurbished and extended, and it looks like they've done a good job on it, I had a head wind for the last few miles home, made me work and slowed me down, but another good morning out on the fixed, I'm having a rest weekend next weekend so the Guy Salmon charity ride is my next one.

http://www.sytner.co.uk/guy-salmon-...almon-jaguar-coventry-cycling-event-2014.aspx

View attachment 36573
Ok, it's been worse but it still needs a clean in case I bump into @fossyant on the commute tomorrow :tongue:

that counts as clean around here!

This is my local lane and why I rarely get visitors... I have to do 3/4 mile out and 3/4 mile back on this just to leave the house! It is a pick the best side and know you can't get over for 3/4 of a mile unless you stop. On the bright side of things - you can see the tarmac today - it rained heavily overnight and washed some of the leaf litter and mud away and this is not the worst section of it.

IMG_0130.JPG

After the torrential downpour this morning, we didn't think we would get out today, but the sun did eventually break through so off we went for a 15 mile country laner, not bad speed either, every time I looked at the garmin it was between 18 and 21 mph, Eileens strength is really starting to come along, even though the roads were in a terrible muddy mess, we really enjoyed it today.

Just back from a very muddy, but totally enjoyable 12 miles!
Mixture of cycle path, towpath and trail.

Loved every freakin' minute!!

I wore shorts today to see if it would help the sore butt issue. They had better padding so possibly, but what I did notice was I kept sliding myself towards the back of the saddle. So either, the saddle needs to be moved back a few mm's or it's tilted, or both!

I'm going to look at that tomorrow.
In the meantime, here's a few dirty pics...:laugh:

20140119_132750_resized_zpsa3628982.jpg

Muddy pit stop at the bottom of the cemetery hill

20140119_132803_resized_zpsc1fcd2df.jpg

Told you it was muddy....

That Saracen really does look aggressive with that rear shock, really good looking bike.

that counts as clean around here!

This is my local lane and why I rarely get visitors... I have to do 3/4 mile out and 3/4 mile back on this just to leave the house! It is a pick the best side and know you can't get over for 3/4 of a mile unless you stop. On the bright side of things - you can see the tarmac today - it rained heavily overnight and washed some of the leaf litter and mud away and this is not the worst section of it.

View attachment 36575

That's a hell of a drive you have there

That's a hell of a drive you have there
tis just the country lane we live down... plenty of other houses as well. If we owned it, it would be much cleaner, trust me!
We did used to live down a much longer dirt track being the only house at the end (well over a mile long) and that really did seriously limit people visiting us - we were tenants then, we still are now. tis the only way of affording to live in the countryside as rurally as we have always done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom