Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Today's ride didn't quite go to plan but it was 25 miles in the fresh air under a bright blue sky so it wasn't in any way a disaster. And I didn't fall off like I did on Friday. (What do you call a clipless moment when you're not actually clipped in? :blush:)

This morning I rather foolishly plotted a route through the Vale of Taunton Deane, thinking to revisit some villages I've not been to for months. I got about six miles up the road and had to turn back:

Shutewater floods 19jan14 (800x600).jpg

I probably could have cycled through it but knew that if it was bad here, it would be worse further up the road so turned back and headed in the opposite direction. All was going well until...

Ruishton floods 19jan14 (800x583).jpg

I didn't get the camera on my phone up and running in time to show just how deep it is - it was almost covered his wheels before he made it to higher ground. Idiot.

Since continuing forward wasn't an option, I would have turned left but...

Ruishton floods 19jan14 (2) (600x800).jpg

So once again I turned round and, fed up by this time, made my way home. I cheered up once the sun started to set:

Sunset 19jan14 (800x450).jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Excellent as always phil. Always a pleasure to read about your ride and see your photo's. thank you.
Thankyou.:thanks:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Today's ride didn't quite go to plan but it was 25 miles in the fresh air under a bright blue sky so it wasn't in any way a disaster. And I didn't fall off like I did on Friday. (What do you call a clipless moment when you're not actually clipped in? :ohmy:ops)

This morning I rather foolishly plotted a route through the Vale of Taunton Deane, thinking to revisit some villages I've not been to for months. I got about six miles up the road and had to turn back:

View attachment 36615

I probably could have cycled through it but knew that if it was bad here, it would be worse further up the road so turned back and headed in the opposite direction. All was going well until...

View attachment 36614

I didn't get the camera on my phone up and running in time to show just how deep it is - it was almost covered his wheels before he made it to higher ground. Idiot.

Since continuing forward wasn't an option, I would have turned left but...

View attachment 36612

So once again I turned round and, fed up by this time, made my way home. I cheered up once the sun started to set:

View attachment 36616
Would you like to borrow a boat?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
One of those road rides today...
One visit from the puncture fairy, Strava broke down, dropped my phone, no coffee or cake as I decided to go to Overstone instead of Pitsford for refreshments and they were closed....

I had no plans which way to ride, so just did a few lefts and rights here and there. I passed Salcey Forest but was only on 12 miles or so, so didn't stop for coffee. Just before passing over the M1 at Hartwell, I saw a Llama Farmer and asked if I could take a piccie or two.

DSC_1325.jpg

DSC_1324.jpg

Strange what you meet in the wilds of Northamptonshire :laugh:

Onwards to Stoke Bruerne and the Grand Union Canal.

DSC_1331.jpg

They've got a bigger cog there than I need for the climb out towards Shutlanger & Blisworth so I left it behind :tongue:

After a visit from the puncture fairy, (only my 2nd in nearly 1200 road miles, so I can't really complain!)

DSC_1332.jpg

Several cyclists rode past and asked if I was OK or needed a hand. Thanks folks, nice to know help's at hand if I'd needed it.

All pumped up, I rode on towards Gayton and Kislingbury

DSC_1335.jpg

This 'chimney' is an air vent for the canal tunnel below. I've actually looked from the bottom of this chimney upwards from a friends barge as we traversed the tunnel several years ago.
I love this kind of historical stuff..

I carried on with my clockwise circuit of Northampton and was hailed by a cyclist riding towards me. As the sun was in my face, I didn't have a clue who it was, but stopped for a chat anyway. It was a lass I used to work with who was out for a 20 km ride with her hubby after the birth of their little boy last autumn.
All credit to her and her well padded shorts! :laugh:

One scary moment after that in Harleston, near Althorpe House, when an oncoming motorist flashed a car wanting to pull out from my left to turn right in front of me. Nice to know that I'd have been buried near Princess Di if I'd not have slammed the brakes on! Ho Hum..

I was planning to get to Pitsford for coffee & cake but changed my mind and aimed towards Sywell. Shame it was shut <DOH> Such is life!

I rode past Broughton Church, an English Heritage site but still consecrated ground where burials take place. It's a bit spooky sometimes, but in the sunshine it's OK...

DSC_1346.jpg

Strangely enough, this is where I dropped my phone and it took a piccie of me looking for it!!

DSC_1343.jpg

Damn these Smart Phones! :ohmy:

Anyway, 40 mile ridden. No coffee. No cake. What else can I say.........
At least I saw a Llama.

1st bit that Strava did http://www.strava.com/activities/107436520
2nd bit it managed to track... http://www.strava.com/activities/107476235

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
My ride today with @toptom didn't happen because I work nights my body clock is all over the place. I only had 3 hrs sleep after work on Saturday which meant even though I fell asleep fairly early last night I didn't wake up till 12.45pm today. :angry:

Last edited:
A few rides for me this weekend although it started in a pub on Friday night, and those of us still standing got out on the Early Birds Ride in the morning (I only had four pints cause I'm a light weight :blush:)

Then on Sunday I got my first one of the year in. A quick blast down from Peterborough to Yaxley with a mate; then the Inaugural Yaxley Riders Reliability Ride with another mate, he struggled a bit with the 17.5mph pace out but I held back for his company :becool:; then came an indirect way back to round things up. On the whole it was 108.7miles in 6:44:53 (16.1mph) and 5150ft: Peterborough, Farcet, Yaxley, Haddon, Elton, Nassington, Kings Cliffe, Harringworth, Seaton, Uppingham, Allexton, Hallarton, Church Langton, Great Bowden, Ashley, Medbourne, Uppingham, Lyddington, Gretton, Rockingham, Deene, Southwick, Warmington, Haddon, Yaxley, Holme, Glatton, Bullock Road Northbound, Awalton Peterborough.
There's a wee bit more but I don't like posting gps that leads to my front door ;)
Yaxley.jpg

The weather saved the day because it wasn't really planned to ride today as we were at Champions night at a swish hotel in Hinckley last night. Dr_pink was there to pick up 3 awards along with her team mates and what a gathering it was. At least 200 athletes dressed to the nines, many unrecognisable out of licra, especially the women. It was hosted by David Harmon and Michael Hutchinson with guests of honour Brian Robinson and Malcolm Elliott. What a great night! Unfortunately we didn't get to bed until 2am after drinking too much wine and dancing for a couple of hours. This is by the way of an excuse for the rather short ride we did as soon as we got home and at a an absolute dawdle.
I see on here everyone I think is reporting high temperatures, in Rutland it reached just over 6C with a westerly wind of around 10 mph. We headed out into the Vale of Belvoir to our favourite cafe which is run by volunteers and raises money for the nearby hospice.
On the way down Harby hill I took these pictures
2014_01006_zpsdc1ed3e0.jpg

The story behind the above shot is that I was twiddling away on the fixed while trying to get the phone out of my back pocket, setting it up and snapping the above one and the next one all at 33 mph :eek:. Not recommended.
2014_01007_zps05449d89.jpg

After the cafe stop it was a case as always of what goes down must go up again and once more in my bleary state I made the incredible stupid choice up riding up through Stathern, never done it before but have come down it a few times, so after only just over a mile and not in the least warmed up we are faced with this, and that is only the easy first bit, we were climbing before we reached this part! I sent dr_pink ahead to get the oxygen ready
2014_01008_zpscc094f39.jpg

I made it but it wasn't a pretty sight, not to be shown before the watershed that's for sure. Of course with me not being the sharpest knife in the drawer I thought we would do another one for good measure. Ever seen a fish that's been out of water for a couple of minutes? I do a very good impression.
One of our favourite views of Belvoir Castle, but especially so today with the sun on it
2014_01009_zps1ec36a2e.jpg

And so up the last real climb, odd how the camera seems to flatten hills out sometimes, wish my legs today could have done that.
2014_01010_zps973ae138.jpg

I had a feeling dr_pink was starting to feel a tad better when I looked at my speedo to see we were doing 18 mph slightly uphill into the wind, sigh.
Only 43 miles, but really the weekend belonged to dr_pink, now a National Team Champion at 25, 50 and 100 miles. Congratulations.

colly

Re member eR
The weather saved the day because it wasn't really planned to ride today as we were at Champions night at a swish hotel in Hinckley last night. Dr_pink was there to pick up 3 awards along with her team mates and what a gathering it was. At least 200 athletes dressed to the nines, many unrecognisable out of licra, especially the women. It was hosted by David Harmon and Michael Hutchinson with guests of honour Brian Robinson and Malcolm Elliott. What a great night! Unfortunately we didn't get to bed until 2am after drinking too much wine and dancing for a couple of hours. This is by the way of an excuse for the rather short ride we did as soon as we got home and at a an absolute dawdle.
I see on here everyone I think is reporting high temperatures, in Rutland it reached just over 6C with a westerly wind of around 10 mph. We headed out into the Vale of Belvoir to our favourite cafe which is run by volunteers and raises money for the nearby hospice.
On the way down Harby hill I took these pictures
2014_01006_zpsdc1ed3e0.jpg
:thumbsup:
The story behind the above shot is that I was twiddling away on the fixed while trying to get the phone out of my back pocket, setting it up and snapping the above one and the next one all at 33 mph :eek:. Not recommended.
2014_01007_zps05449d89.jpg

After the cafe stop it was a case as always of what goes down must go up again and once more in my bleary state I made the incredible stupid choice up riding up through Stathern, never done it before but have come down it a few times, so after only just over a mile and not in the least warmed up we are faced with this, and that is only the easy first bit, we were climbing before we reached this part! I sent dr_pink ahead to get the oxygen ready
2014_01008_zpscc094f39.jpg

I made it but it wasn't a pretty sight, not to be shown before the watershed that's for sure. Of course with me not being the sharpest knife in the drawer I thought we would do another one for good measure. Ever seen a fish that's been out of water for a couple of minutes? I do a very good impression.
One of our favourite views of Belvoir Castle, but especially so today with the sun on it
2014_01009_zps1ec36a2e.jpg

And so up the last real climb, odd how the camera seems to flatten hills out sometimes, wish my legs today could have done that.
2014_01010_zps973ae138.jpg

I had a feeling dr_pink was starting to feel a tad better when I looked at my speedo to see we were doing 18 mph slightly uphill into the wind, sigh.
Only 43 miles, but really the weekend belonged to dr_pink, now a National Team Champion at 25, 50 and 100 miles. Congratulations.

Congrats indeed. :thumbsup: Exalted company for a CC ride then.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
dsc_1335-jpg.36603.jpg

This 'chimney' is an air vent for the canal tunnel below. I've actually looked from the bottom of this chimney upwards from a friends barge as we traversed the tunnel several years ago.

I love this kind of historical stuff..
I recognise that from a ride I did when visiting my sister. I looked back in my collection of photos and found this one ...

blisworth-tunnel-ventilation-shaft-wide.jpg

My ride today was the first since mid-December. I have therefore lost a lot of what little fitness I had managed to build up at the end of 2013.

I wanted to ride further than I have since I got ill in July 2012. My longest ride so far had been 31 hilly miles. I wanted to reduce the amount of climbing but boost the distance, so I decided to ride at least 15.5 miles out from home on the valley roads to Burnley and see how I felt with that before deciding what to do next ...

I was a bit late setting off so I fitted lights to my bike in case I decided to extend the ride more than I had intended to. That turned out to be a wise move!

It was a pretty uneventful ride over to Rose Grove at the south end of the Padiham Greenway. The Greenway is a fabulous community asset built on the route of a disused freight railway line. It is frequented by families walking with their kids, dog walkers, skaters, cyclists, and - today at least - skunk smokers ... I almost got stoned just riding past them! :laugh:

One problem though - not all the people who use the Greenway appear to have the brains they were born with, unless they were born witless, that is! A woman in her 30s was crossing the Greenway with 2 unleashed dogs, just in front of me. I checked the dogs and saw that the bigger, older one would not be a problem. It was more interested in running around in the field beside the Greenway than chasing cyclists. I could tell at a glance that this was not so for the other one. It went straight into attack mode! It was a small dog, barely out of puppyhood. More of a yappy annoyance than a dangerous threat but there is always the possibility of colliding with a dog which is intent on getting up close and personal. Sure enough it came straight for my front wheel and I had to brake and swerve round it. The owner was calling out to the dog in a totally ineffective voice, which no self-respecting mutt would ever mistake for commands. "Here boy, don't be silly - leave the nice man alone, he doesn't mean you any harm ..." This is while the dog came in to attack from behind as I tried to accelerate away from it. He actually managed to get close enough to get hold of my right overshoe in his teeth! I toyed with the idea of giving him a gentle kick but decided that it was the owner that was to blame and the dog was too young and poorly trained to know any better. I settled for glaring at his owner and pointing out that the dog was going to get seriously hurt one day if she didn't learn to control it properly!

There were a few other daft people about, but mostly everybody got along just fine.

I got to the end of the Greenway and realised that would have covered 32 miles if I just turned round and went back the way I had ridden out. The thing was though - the sun was shining and I was feeling good so I did a quick calculation and worked out that I had time to ride on to Spring Wood picnic centre, where my March forum ride will be starting from. All being well, I would get back to Todmorden before it started to get dark. The A646 is well-lit and I had lights, so I decided that wouldn't be a problem.

I rode to Spring Wood by the scenic route round the back of Read and the Old Roman Road.

I thought to myself what a contrast today's weather was to what we had a year ago!

Rain there sun here.jpg

That's Read church in the sunshine to the right of the picture. It looked like there was less pleasant weather to the left of the picture in the distant west.

I did the 20% descent of the Old Roman Road and wondered how I would cope on the way back up it.

There is nearly always an ice cream trailer at the entrance to Spring Wood and there it was today. I decided to stop for a quick treat before heading for home ...

That will be just two pounds sir.jpg

The ice cream seller handed it over and said "That will be just £2 sir!" Oh super, and there was me thinking it might cost £5.75, or something ... Am I out of touch with inflation, because £2 seems a lot for a cone with a bit of flake stuck in it! :whistle:

I had a quick chat with the ice cream chappie. He mentioned what a contrast today's weather was to what we had a year ago ... great minds think alike! Apparently he only worked 3 days last January because of the cold weather.

I set off for home after about 15 minutes at Spring Wood and got up the 20% Old Roman Road climb ok in my grovelling gear - my lack of fitness more than compensated for by my much reduced flab luggage - 1 stone of fat rather than the former 4.5 stone of it!

The hills did start to wear me down a bit though so I was grateful to cross over the railway line at the top of Cliviger Gorge and begin my descent to Tod.

I decided to chuck in one last little climb in Todmorden to avoid the town centre. It only goes up about 27 m but it misses out a section of busy road and is more interesting.

I was using my lights for the last 8 km home. So, I got back having covered 69 km or 43 miles which I was pretty pleased with, all things considered! I was tired, but that was to be expected. Fitness will come eventually if I stick at it.

Here is the profile of the ride out ... (The ride back was the same in reverse except for that extra 27 m climb in Todmorden)

HB Greenway Spring Wood profile.gif

I recognise that from a ride I did when visiting my sister. I looked back in my collection of photos and found this one ...

blisworth-tunnel-ventilation-shaft-wide.jpg

My ride today was the first since mid-December. I have therefore lost a lot of what little fitness I had managed to build up at the end of 2013.

I wanted to ride further than I have since I got ill in July 2012. My longest ride so far had been 31 hilly miles. I wanted to reduce the amount of climbing but boost the distance, so I decided to ride at least 15.5 miles out from home on the valley roads to Burnley and see how I felt with that before deciding what to do next ...

I was a bit late setting off so I fitted lights to my bike in case I decided to extend the ride more than I had intended to. That turned out to be a wise move!

It was a pretty uneventful ride over to Rose Grove at the south end of the Padiham Greenway. The Greenway is a fabulous community asset built on the route of a disused freight railway line. It is frequented by families walking with their kids, dog walkers, skaters, cyclists, and - today at least - skunk smokers ... I almost got stoned just riding past them! :laugh:

One problem though - not all the people who use the Greenway appear to have the brains they were born with, unless they were born witless, that is! A woman in her 30s was crossing the Greenway with 2 unleashed dogs, just in front of me. I checked the dogs and saw that the bigger, older one would not be a problem. It was more interested in running around in the field beside the Greenway than chasing cyclists. I could tell at a glance that this was not so for the other one. It went straight into attack mode! It was a small dog, barely out of puppyhood. More of a yappy annoyance than a dangerous threat but there is always the possibility of colliding with a dog which is intent on getting up close and personal. Sure enough it came straight for my front wheel and I had to brake and swerve round it. The owner was calling out to the dog in a totally ineffective voice, which no self-respecting mutt would ever mistake for commands. "Here boy, don't be silly - leave the nice man alone, he doesn't mean you any harm ..." This is while the dog came in to attack from behind as I tried to accelerate away from it. He actually managed to get close enough to get hold of my right overshoe in his teeth! I toyed with the idea of giving him a gentle kick but decided that it was the owner that was to blame and the dog was too young and poorly trained to know any better. I settled for glaring at his owner and pointing out that the dog was going to get seriously hurt one day if she didn't learn to control it properly!

There were a few other daft people about, but mostly everybody got along just fine.

I got to the end of the Greenway and realised that would have covered 32 miles if I just turned round and went back the way I had ridden out. The thing was though - the sun was shining and I was feeling good so I did a quick calculation and worked out that I had time to ride on to Spring Wood picnic centre, where my March forum ride will be starting from. All being well, I would get back to Todmorden before it started to get dark. The A646 is well-lit and I had lights, so I decided that wouldn't be a problem.

I rode to Spring Wood by the scenic route round the back of Read and the Old Roman Road.

I thought to myself what a contrast today's weather was to what we had a year ago!

View attachment 36639

That's Read church in the sunshine to the right of the picture. It looked like there was less pleasant weather to the left of the picture in the distant west.

I did the 20% descent of the Old Roman Road and wondered how I would cope on the way back up it.

There is nearly always an ice cream trailer at the entrance to Spring Wood and there it was today. I decided to stop for a quick treat before heading for home ...

View attachment 36640

The ice cream seller handed it over and said "That will be just £2 sir!" Oh super, and there was me thinking it might cost £5.75, or something ... Am I out of touch with inflation, because £2 seems a lot for a cone with a bit of flake stuck in it! :whistle:

I had a quick chat with the ice cream chappie. He mentioned what a contrast today's weather was to what we had a year ago ... great minds think alike! Apparently he only worked 3 days last January because of the cold weather.

I set off for home after about 15 minutes at Spring Wood and got up the 20% Old Roman Road climb ok in my grovelling gear - my lack of fitness more than compensated for by my much reduced flab luggage - 1 stone of fat rather than the former 4.5 stone of it!

The hills did start to wear me down a bit though so I was grateful to cross over the railway line at the top of Cliviger Gorge and begin my descent to Tod.

I decided to chuck in one last little climb in Todmorden to avoid the town centre. It only goes up about 27 m but it misses out a section of busy road and is more interesting.

I was using my lights for the last 8 km home. So, I got back having covered 69 km or 43 miles which I was pretty pleased with, all things considered! I was tired, but that was to be expected. Fitness will come eventually if I stick at it.

Here is the profile of the ride out ... (The ride back was the same in reverse except for that extra 27 m climb in Todmorden)

View attachment 36641
I don't get up to Read nearly enough, not least because unfortunately all my family are laid to rest there, a beautiful spot though. Good to see the photo, many memories.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't get up to Read nearly enough, not least because unfortunately all my family are laid to rest there, a beautiful spot though. Good to see the photo, many memories.
I took that picture for you! It suddenly struck me how nice it was looking yesterday and I remembered about your family.

I was so pleased when I discovered the Greenway and Whins Lane/Old Roman Road route to Spring Wood, cutting out miles of the busy A646 & A671.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom