Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
I took that picture for you! It suddenly struck me how nice it was looking yesterday and I remembered about your family.

I was so pleased when I discovered the Greenway and Whins Lane/Old Roman Road route to Spring Wood, cutting out miles of the busy A646 & A671.
If you're getting up that steep roman road already colin then it sounds like you're well on your way to being fitter than I have ever seen you, shows just how much the weight must have been the main factor in your 'speed' up the hills.

Chrisc

Guru
Yesterday saw my first ride with the newly formed Holmfirth Cycling Club. :-)

Bit of a baptism of fire really. This is the most climbing I've done in one ride and my legs know about it today.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/432400438

HCCGlossop_zpsa130eb59.jpg

Chrisc

Guru
I
I set off for home after about 15 minutes at Spring Wood and got up the 20% Old Roman Road climb ok in my grovelling gear - my lack of fitness more than compensated for by my much reduced flab luggage - 1 stone of fat rather than the former 4.5 stone of it!

The hills did start to wear me down a bit though so I was grateful to cross over the railway line at the top of Cliviger Gorge and begin my descent to Tod.

I decided to chuck in one last little climb in Todmorden to avoid the town centre. It only goes up about 27 m but it misses out a section of busy road and is more interesting.

I was using my lights for the last 8 km home. So, I got back having covered 69 km or 43 miles which I was pretty pleased with, all things considered! I was tired, but that was to be expected. Fitness will come eventually if I stick at it.

Here is the profile of the ride out ... (The ride back was the same in reverse except for that extra 27 m climb in Todmorden)

View attachment 36641

Good to hear Colin. And thinking back a year myself this morning I found this taken at the end of our lane, 22nd Jan 2013. Bit different.

8404578287_5d9871f365_o_zpse3ce4c06.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Rather a delayed start to getting out this morning, partly due to the heavy frost, then indecision on which bike, and finally having no motivation at all. Funny how having to go on your bike on a given day can really make it hard..
Anyway, following a great, pain free walk yesterday, I decided I needed a similarly confidence boosting ride, so played safe and warm with the hybrid, preferring 38C knobbly tires over the 23C given the risk of ice (not sure it makes any difference though?). Once I got going all was well with the World, and I toodled up to Virginia Water Lake at a steady (slow) trundle. Having walked around the lake yesterday, I didn't fancy that again, so instead went up to the Guards Polo Club and Smiths Lawn. In the far distance is the Prince Consort horse statue, and one of the timing clocks. Nice place to visit in the Summer when there's a game on.
20 Jan 2014 Polo Fields.jpg

Once across Smiths Lawn I headed towards the Deer Park entrance by Bishopsgate, the intention being a circuit of the park and back through the village. However, some minor pain twinges before the gate put paid to that, I didn't want to be stranded that far from home and in pain, so turned back to Savill Garden and stopped for a coffee. 5 mins of walking and stretching eased the pains so did another lap of Smiths Lawn, then back to the lake. Always nice returning home from here as it's only 4 miles, half of which is downhill so nice and easy.
Really pleased to have done 16.6 miles, the best since my 2nd 'injury'. I was out for nearly 2 hours, so not exactly fast, but a pleasant pedal and, in spite of some minor pain, did me the world of good:smile::smile:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I fear I may have to concede defeat to Cowlow Lane for the time being.

After last Thursday, when it was really wet and I came to a grinding halt on a 25% bit, I decided to give it another dig today. No wind at all and a bit cloudy, no frost when I left Glossop this am. But by the time I had got to New Mills things had changed. Despite it only being 10 miles or so away, it was bright sunshine.....but really frosty.
There was a lot of cycling over 1000ft up on the loop so I was a bit concerned. Managed the first tough one out of New Mills (Dolly Lane) OK. Next up was Western Lane, after which would be my nemesis, Cowlow Lane ("Lane" around these parts seems to mean unremitting gradients and cows**t all over the place). Western Lane is a due south climb so it had no sun on it. You could see the frost all over it. Started this climb (I had managed it OK the previous week) and the back wheel was slipping, even whilst in the saddle. Almost had an off when all traction went so I ended up walking a couple of hundred metres of steep stuff. Somehow or other I was 1 sec quicker on the segment than last time. Maybe that should be my tactic in the future....walk up the steep stuff?
Now if Western Lane wasn't really climbable, Cowlow Lane was no chance. I could walk it again but what's the point? Discretion prevailed and I headed over the Macclesfield via Whaley Bridge for some low altitude cycling.
It was very pleasant around Prestbury and Alderley Edge. Lots of WAG types at the car park on the Edge who quite distracted me from my Cheese and Ham Sandwich.
All in all 52 miles with about 4,500ft of climbing.

Cowlow Lane will have to wait for better conditions. But we have unfinished business

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Took a break from the norm today as a friend from work invited myself and @Jason.T to a 37 mile route which took us across part of the preseli mountains.
Started off very wet and muddy as the rain wouldn't hold off for us
2014-01-20 16.53.12.jpg

But we did see a break in the clouds and by the second half of the route the sun popped out to say hello.
2014-01-20 17.04.29.jpg

2014-01-20 17.06.27.jpg

Nice to have a change of scenery...especially across the mountains. .....
2014-01-20 17.08.44.jpg

Anyway We climbed 3,250ft which was fairly tough going but stands us good for the next few rides before our first sportives. .......
2014-01-20 17.12.08.jpg

Obviously had a pit stop when the sun came out to fuel up and dry off a bit
2014-01-20 17.13.30.jpg

Back to work tomorrow....roll on the weekend

A few rides for me this weekend although it started in a pub on Friday night, and those of us still standing got out on the Early Birds Ride in the morning (I only had four pints cause I'm a light weight :blush:)

Then on Sunday I got my first one of the year in. A quick blast down from Peterborough to Yaxley with a mate; then the Inaugural Yaxley Riders Reliability Ride with another mate, he struggled a bit with the 17.5mph pace out but I held back for his company :becool:; then came an indirect way back to round things up. On the whole it was 108.7miles in 6:44:53 (16.1mph) and 5150ft: Peterborough, Farcet, Yaxley, Haddon, Elton, Nassington, Kings Cliffe, Harringworth, Seaton, Uppingham, Allexton, Hallarton, Church Langton, Great Bowden, Ashley, Medbourne, Uppingham, Lyddington, Gretton, Rockingham, Deene, Southwick, Warmington, Haddon, Yaxley, Holme, Glatton, Bullock Road Northbound, Awalton Peterborough.
There's a wee bit more but I don't like posting gps that leads to my front door ;)
View attachment 36626

Fantastic photo

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After 40 road miles yesterday (where, apparently, I didn't see a Llama :laugh:,) six of us went to Sherwood Pines for a bounce around the forest on the MTB's. It's the first time there for 4 of us and we thoroughly enjoyed it!

DSC_1361.jpg

There are no major challenges there unless you visit the Downhill & Jump parks, which we did. I can't do big jumps, tabletops, 180's, 360's and the like. I wish I could, and I'm envious of those that can. Fortunately the schools are not on holiday so the 14 year olds weren't there to show us up :laugh:, but we still did a bit of messing about.

20140120_140041.jpg

I'm looking a bit serious in this one :whistle:

20140120_142205.jpg

Meanwhile, back on the trails.... We only rode 11 miles or so, but with the ups, downs and iced over muddy puddles it seemed more.

The reward for our efforts was
DSC_1371.jpg

CAKE! One of my recipes today. Cranberry & white chocolate :hungry:

We got the bikes back on the cars and headed home before dark as we hadn't bothered taking lights with us today.

DSC_1374.jpg

One of the chaps does take his riding seriously :thumbsup:

The decision was made that we're going back there soon, before Summer as the place is next door to a Centre Parks and Go Ape etc so it'll be heaving in the good weather. As it was, we only saw half a dozen other riders all the way round.

Tomorrow is bike cleaning day...

http://www.strava.com/activities/107738435

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Had to drop some keys back for my dear Mum so I grabbed the chance of nice weather and a pass out whilst my good lady enjoyed the peace of having no children in the house now they are all at school ( Number 4 is now in the school nursery for two and half days a week). As usual I used the Boardman fixed and headed off towards my Mums through some nice quiet and reasonably traffic free lanes taking in some views and enjoying the sun.The ride also boosted my dwindling *My Cycling Log" mileage by a nice 35 miles so all is good. Photo's as usual,enjoy !
Warburton Toll bridge over the Manchester Ship Canal
BikeridetoTimperley011_zps9ad5d8cd.jpg
Spud Wood near Lymm
BikeridetoTimperley012_zps3cf03318.jpg
BikeridetoTimperley015_zps20398a66.jpg
Bridgewater Canal
BikeridetoTimperley020_zps6605d457.jpg
BikeridetoTimperley019_zps74cb2a86.jpg
"Swan with two nicks" near Dunham Park
BikeridetoTimperley022_zpse7948768.jpg
Bridge over the River Bollin looking towards Dunham Park
BikeridetoTimperley024_zpse684a3e5.jpg
Bit of flooding next to Dunham Park
BikeridetoTimperley026_zps95273a7f.jpg
I think this is an Ancient Oak in the middle of Dunham town
BikeridetoTimperley035_zps192fd588.jpg
Trans Pennine Trail all to myself
BikeridetoTimperley037_zps1c7fc85d.jpg
I volunteer for this lot !
BikeridetoTimperley040_zpsf70aa7d2.jpg
Dirty Boardman !
BikeridetoTimperley044_zpsf04b1185.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Had to drop some keys back for my dear Mum so I grabbed the chance of nice weather and a pass out whilst my good lady enjoyed the peace of having no children in the house now they are all at school ( Number 4 is now in the school nursery for two and half days a week). As usual I used the Boardman fixed and headed off towards my Mums through some nice quiet and reasonably traffic free lanes taking in some views and enjoying the sun.The ride also boosted my dwindling *My Cycling Log" mileage by a nice 35 miles so all is good. Photo's as usual,enjoy !
Warburton Toll bridge over the Manchester Ship Canal
Spud Wood near Lymm
Bridgewater Canal
Bit of flooding next to Dunham Park
BikeridetoTimperley026_zps95273a7f.jpg
I think this is an Ancient Oak in the middle of Dunham town
BikeridetoTimperley035_zps192fd588.jpg
Trans Pennine Trail all to myself
BikeridetoTimperley037_zps1c7fc85d.jpg
I volunteer for this lot !
BikeridetoTimperley040_zpsf70aa7d2.jpg
Dirty Boardman !
BikeridetoTimperley044_zpsf04b1185.jpg
Great pics!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Lovely pictures
Spud Wood near Lymm
Bridgewater Canal