Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Once again the great british wevver wasnt looking so appealing so I got on my new bkool toy and rode to Cordoba Spain.
This was the 'best' work out yet, and it all cunulated with a pig of a hill at the end. On days like this last year I would have been
climbing the walls, but now at least I can ride inside. I read that to lose weight it's good to ride hungry and eat afterwards, so thats what I did
today, and TBH I felt better than I do when i eat before the ride.

http://www.bkool.com/bkoolSessionHistory/showSessionSummary?sessionSummaryId=432772

Distance Total time In motion
Total 30.9mi 01:42:03 01:41:29
Warm up 0.1mi 00:00:21 00:00:19
Main 30.8mi 01:41:29 01:41:29
Cool down 0.0mi 00:00:13 00:00:13
Min. Max. Climb Descent
Slope -8.36% 13.21% 1497ft 1814ft
Legend In total In motion While climbing Normalized Max. Type
Cadence (rpm) 86 86 84 - 124
column
Calories (Kcal.) 1267 1267 829 - 1982
Power (watt) 190.8 190.8 208.4 201.5 504.8
column
Speed (mph) 18.3 18.3 13.3 - 53.2
column

gavgav

Guru
It's surprisingly warm out there and I could have done with shorts really. Being a bit wary of the pulled muscle in my knee I took it easy and all was well.... until around 9 to 10 miles when the knee started to hurt again.:thumbsdown: Looks like I'm going to have to stick to much shorter rides or keep off the bike for a bit.:cry:

Trip to the GP me thinks, as it should have healed by now..........

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Trip to the GP me thinks, as it should have healed by now..........
To be honest I'm not sure what the doc will be able to do except say stay off the bike. It doesn't hurt at any other time - just after about 7-10 miles of riding so I think it's a case of take things very easy and build the strength back up.:sad:

The last time I did something like this (not the same muscle) it took absolutely ages before it felt right again.

I think that I can forget about reaching 3000 miles this year.:headshake:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did a silly ride today ... Oh, it has just gone midnight - I did a silly ride today yesterday afternoon.

A friend of mine works on one of the hills above Hebden Bridge. During the summer, she enjoyed her evening walk home, but now it is getting a bit cold, dark and scary later on, she prefers to whiz home down the hill on her bike. The only problem is - how to get it up there in the first place?

She has been doing well - a combination of riding the easier sections and walking with the bike where the road gets steeper. I got a phone call today, however - she had hurt her back and couldn't manage to get the bike up the hill, so would I do it for her?

She is quite tall, but her bike is still a size and a half too small for me, so riding it could be tricky, and I didn't fancy walking all the way up the hill with the bike, but I decided to give riding it a go to see how I got on. It turned out that it wasn't ideal, but it was doable ...

My big mistake was not warming up before setting off, and then going the hard direct route, rather than the easier way through the town centre. The long way isn't easy - once I get onto the climb, it averages 10% for nearly a mile. You can imagine how tough the direct route is ... Here's a picture of my friend strolling up the hill a couple of years ago.

hebden-bridge-steep-road-4.jpg

I rode up it without warming up and it was a mistake! I am not fit, and am still recovering from illness. My heart rate shot up and I considered stopping for a breather, but I knew that I would never get going again so I pressed on to the short stretch of even steeper footpath at the top, where I dismounted and walked up to the road above.

The 10% top half of the Heptonstall Road felt easy by comparison!

I went to the cafe in Heptonstall with my friend, then left her to do the last little easy ride to work, while I walked back down the hill.

That Good Samaritan act left me with a slightly erratic heart beat this evening, so I will not be doing that again! Next time, I will warm up properly first on my gym bike.

gavgav

Guru
To be honest I'm not sure what the doc will be able to do except say stay off the bike. It doesn't hurt at any other time - just after about 7-10 miles of riding so I think it's a case of take things very easy and build the strength back up.:sad:

The last time I did something like this (not the same muscle) it took absolutely ages before it felt right again.

I think that I can forget about reaching 3000 miles this year.:headshake:
You sure it is a muscle and not a tendon/ligament? The doc could confirm it..........

It was such a nice evening, so I left work early (4pm) and did a proper ride. I was just going to make the most of the light but it seemed to last for a while so I decided to head as far south as possible before the light ran out; that was at a place called Catworth. Ended up going a wee bit further to the Kimbolton Junction. My pace started to slow then, doh, then I realised, the battery in the main light was failing and I switched to the identical front light and my pace went up threefold. Thought I see some wild life on rural roads, saw the usual Birds of Prey but didn't see much, except the lesser spotted RLJ'er when I got back to Peterborough, perhaps because it was a black car the driver thought he could sneak through unnoticed.:rolleyes:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The weather (apart from the wind!) was to good waste today so I set out on a few miles today to Pitsford Reservoir via Moulton village where the local shop caters for all those bear necessities!

DSC_0916.jpg

The views over the reservoir from the dam wall were great. It's about 7 miles ride round, so from where I dropped in, I did one and a half circuits

DSC_0897.jpg

All the geese seem to be looking at the café over the water, or Canada. Not sure which!
DSC_0900.jpg

At the start of the next circuit, it got a bit rainy. I could see the squall lashing towards me, but as there was nowhere to hide, I stuck with it and trusted my waterproof jacket and waterproof skin (shorts) and rode through it..

DSC_0901.jpg

Five minutes later, it was like this... English weather, eh :smile:

DSC_0908.jpg

In need of sustenance, the café next to Pitsford Cycles does a cracking bowl of Wedges with a black coffee to wash them down.

DSC_0912.jpg

On the way back, via Spectacle Lane ford where I wash the mud of my tyres, I grabbed a photo of a quite spooky house. Not much chance of the kids going trick or treating here I reckon!!

DSC_0915.jpg

Back home via the old gatehouse for Overstone Manor.

DSC_0917.jpg

A bit over 26 miles in all, and an enjoyable solo ride

http://www.strava.com/activities/90817211

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice 25 miles this evening, started of warm but did cool down after an hour, got another couple of PRs on Strava. getting used to ridding in the dark, but i do miss the light evenings.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Today's ride - 9 miles.
I was all prepared for a longer one of 15'ish but my lad wasn't feeling well at our first stop and I didn't want to leave him to cycle back on his own, so we headed home.
He's okay...we've all had bad colds and I think it was just the remnant of that.

Anyway....it wasn't all bad!
You know the hill I keep moaning about on the ride back? ( the one I walk up)....well today I cycled just under half way up it! :bicycle:
I don't think it is that steep compared with what you lot ride, but for me it's like a mountain! I just kept my head down, looked just in front of me, rather than focusing on the summit, and pedalled until I could pedal no more!
cemeteryhill_zps1f57c255.jpg

Half way up....looking back (there's another dip below the horizon)

Once you reach the top of this there's another hill that leads into our village and usually I take that at a very slow (walking) pace.
It's not that steep but it is a prolonged incline (if that makes sense)
Today I managed it at a fast walking pace - I know, I'm a rebel! :laugh:

On another note - I wore my new long sleeved base layer with my short sleeved cycling shirt on top and that was cosy enough.
No curious dogs or kids on scooters today, but did stop to watch a hawk swop overhead and circle us a couple of times before he landed to watch us from his perch atop a pole.
I felt quite safe as I don't think there's anything on his menu that is coloured fluorescent orange! And anyway, it would have been like him trying to take down a water buffalo :laugh:

Off for a hot shower and some lunch now.
The ride was certainly good for removing the remnants of my cold....for those of a weak disposition I will not provide details xx(
Sorry, 20 years as a nurse means I'll discuss any bodily function/fluid with alarming candour!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just a short ride today, making what I can of the weather while it lasts.:sun: I headed out over Lyth Hill and did a loop round Exfords Green and Longden which is a route I haven't done for a while.

I deliberately took it slow because of the knee and am glad to say that it coped today. I think a few shorter, slower rides are going to be the thing for a while.:thumbsup:

The only problem with doing this route is that over a third is off road. I cleaned the bike yesterday - might as well not have bothered.:rolleyes:

9.9 miles at 9.2 mph average. Nothing special this time but I still enjoyed.

DSC02114.JPG

View from Lyth Hill.

DSC02116.JPG

Following the bridleway at Exfords Green.

DSC02118.JPG

Down the lanes to Longden

DSC02119.JPG

Theres still a fair bit of maize to be harvested locally.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
For all you Haircut 100 fans out there it was a Faaaaaaantaaaaastic Daaaaaaaaay
Sunny all day and just a light southerly. Managed 65 miles and about 5,500ft of climbing

I shan't bore you with the route details, suffice to say I made it to the charmingly named "Wincle" in Staffs which is in a really hilly area know as The Roaches. On the way there it was up, down, up, down the whole way. But I have learned now to front end load the climbing and try to do the headwind out, tailwind back. In any case I was royally knackered for the last hour back to Glossop.

On the way back the light tailwind pushed me along. I got a bit lost in Macclesfield looking for Broken Cross. The reason I wanted to go there was a decent greasy spoon. Unfortunately (or should that be fortunately?) when I got there they were shutting up so bacon, sausage and egg was off and roast beef and onion barm was on.

Nice big slice of homemade fruit cake and a cup of tea when I got home. 'Appen I deserved it

http://www.strava.com/activities/91021386

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom