Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Glorious hot day in sunny Suffolk. I went out with the club run from Sudbury to Maglio Rosso (Hawkenden, I think?), a new cycling cafe and cycle shop near Stowmarket run by some guys from West Suffolk Wheelers. Twelve of us did the ride (one nightmare overtake in a narrow lane nearly cost us a couple of riders). 53 miles by the time I was home (I flew up Ballingdon Hill like it wasn't there), then as I got in I met my wife in cycling gear about to head out for a ride. I gulped down some lunch, then hopped back on the bike and went for a ride with her. Cautious in corners, and .........erm................snail's pace downhill, she motors along uphill and on the flat. We did a nice 23 miles around Gosfield, Blackmore End and Beazley End, back up the big hills of Dynes Hall and Great Maplestead. I was tempted to stay out for another hour and a bit, and make it up to a hundred miles, but it didn't quite fit in with plans, so 76 miles goes in the diary. 76 of the most pleasant miles I have done all year, and taking me up through the 2000 mark.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Today's picture ...

View attachment 45498

I can't currently remember is it is Beeston Castle, but its around that area...
I think it is - it looks like the castle I used to ride past on the Manchester 100 in Cheshire.

[Yesterday's ride] The 3rd ride of my 8 day cycling trip - Coventry to Meriden; Cotswold Challenge audax; Meriden to Coventry. 117 miles in total, including a few significant climbs in the Cotswolds.

Another of my late nights/early starts ... I got to sleep at 02:00 but was up again at 06:00 to eat some porridge and get ready to set off about 07:00. I wanted a nice slow warm-up ride to the audax HQ in Meriden and to allow time to fix a puncture on the way, should it be necessary. Somehow (where does the time go!) I was a bit late setting off, and didn't arrive until 07:50. I bought a mug of tea and found dave r who failed to recognise the new slimline me, despite having done 2 or 3 forum rides with the fatter me in the past.

I lost track of Dave at the start but must have got ahead of him somehow because he overtook me an hour ot two into the event.

The weather was great. There was a little bit more wind than I would have liked, and it rarely seemed to help. In fact, it became quite wearing later in the day. What it did do, however, was to keep temperatures comfortable. I do not overheat as easily as I did when I was fat, but for several hours I forgot that I was still wearing my gilet, which I had put on for my chilly early morning ride out to Meriden. It was not needed so after taking it off I felt much better.

Most of the route was on lovely quiet lanes, and even I would not complain about the inevitable busier roads linking them together. The only really busy roads were ones we crossed, and there were not many of them.

Warwickshire countryside in sunshine ...

Warwickshire countryside in sunshine.jpg

I met up with Dave out in the lanes and we rode along together for a while, split up again, and so on.

Soon, we had entered the Cotswolds and saw the distinctive yellow stone of the buildings in Chipping Campden ...

Chipping Campden houses.jpg

Eventually, I decided that I wanted to slow down a bit and not push myself too hard so I let Dave and a few other riders go on, while I sprinkled the back of a hedge off the side of an ungated field. I was standing there peeing absent-mindedly when I slowly became aware of a loud buzzing sound. It turned out that I was only a couple of feet from a beehive and the bees were not too happy with me so I finished, crept away, and got back on my bike. :whistle:

The Cotswold countryside is very pleasant. Compared to Yorkshire, it is undulating rather than severely hilly, but there were a few stiff climbs for us to tackle. I was riding my Cannondale which feels overgeared on steep hills so those climbs did feel quite tough. Tysoe hill had stuck in my mind from the other time that I rode the Cotswold Challenge and it felt tough again this time. Tough, but not a legbreaker, even on that bike. I am getting fitter!

Tysoe Hill 14 percent.jpg

It isn't far from Tysoe to Edge Hill, site of the first battle of the English Civil War. I spotted a nice Lotus 7 (or copy of one) in the village. Back in my teens I was a fan of The Prisoner and had pictures of Number Six's car on my bedroom wall, but I never got round to learning to drive so I didn't buy one of my own!

Burton Dassett Hills Country Park is a nice place for families to visit, but there is a tough climb up into it! I managed the climb without too much weaving about, and stopped towards the top to take a few pictures. Here's one ...

View from Burton Dassett Hills Country Park.jpg

There was a refreshments and control stop at Harbury community centre where they had lots of cake, chocolate and sandwiches for us. The selection of sandwiches was rather funny ... Instead of simply writing 'Cheese' on a label in front of the pile of sandwiches, each one had been carefully wrapped in cling film and individually labelled 'cheese', 'cheese', 'cheese', 'cheese' - you get the idea. I picked up sandwich after sandwich before realising that they were all cheese and settling for 3 of them. I then watched rider after rider doing exactly the same thing. In the end I appointed myself 'They are ALL cheese sandwiches, mate' announcer!

I had a couple of biscuits, a piece of cake, and two cups of coffee and then decided it was time to crack on. One last picture for you ...

Horses in Warwickshire sunshine.jpg

It might have been fatigue or the wind picking up, but the last 30 kms felt quite tiring. I met up with a group of local riders and chatted to them much of the way, which distracted me from the effort, and the increasing tenderness of my poor ageing bum. They were interested in the cycling in Yorkshire, and especially where the Tour de France peloton will be riding.

I got back in 8 hours, a time that I was happy with - *all things considered* ... :whistle:

I handed my brevet card in at the finish, declined the offer of beans on toast, and rode back to Coventry. 117 miles of riding with some nice people on great roads in fabulous sunshine ... :smile:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
It's that time of year again. British Heart Foundation Cotswolds Bike Ride today. This is the fourth time I've done this with my mate Andy, from Birmingham. We worked out that I had done 21 times as much road mileage this year as him, and as he is only a casual cyclist and had no appropriate cycling kit or bottle cages, it made sense for me to pannier up and act as the water carrier for the day - as well as the photographer.

Weather: Scorchio. Ended up with the classic cyclist's tan of brown arms and white hands, with 3 inches of brown above the knee.

May 2014 003.jpg

All went swimmingly until the hill with no name (just outside Charlton Abbotts, but known to Andy and me only as the "Col du B*st**d"). As usual, many of the 2,000+ got off and walked - but that is not the Cycle Chat way, so I struggled up, trying not to let the effort show. Andy started to suffer here, but battled on manfully for the remainder of the hilly 40 miles in clear discomfort. Chapeau! Andy is the one in the red top in the photo below, with the rather fetching green socks (shown cresting the "Col").

May 2014 004.jpg May 2014 007.jpg

After this came a welcome pub stop at the Hollow Bottom in Guiting Power. As you can see, we were not the only ones with this idea. A lovely cold, foaming lager helped me to cool down, and we hit the road again, heading for the half way drinks station, passing beautiful Cotswolds scenery on the way.

May 2014 008.jpg May 2014 012.jpg

At the second rest stop I came across Paul Loosemore, the proprietor of Striking Bikes in Bristol Road, Gloucester. As mentioned in a previous post of mine, the guy is a genius wheel builder and very helpful and reasonably priced LBS mechanic. Here he is, giving up his time to provide mechanical assistance for the charity ride yet again. Give the guy a visit and tell him Donger recommended him. (Apparently some people already have done, but he was a bit mystified, as he didn't know me by that name!).

May 2014 018.jpg

Back to Cheltenham racecourse via Winchcombe, Gretton, Alstone (pictured below) and a few cruelly added hills forming part of a new finish this year. Lots of people were walking up the last few hills. Probably a combination of dehydration and sunstroke, as well as a few of them being under-prepared.

May 2014 019.jpg

Came across a young lad (well he was, compared to us) in Bishops Cleeve who was clearly in some distress, and unable to either cycle or walk any further due to severe cramp "everywhere" in his legs. Gave him some Poweraid and a few cramp easing tips, and had to leave him, feeling very sorry for the lad as he still had 2-3 miles to go. At the finishing line, Andy arranged for a St John Ambulance to go back and look for him. Hope he got home OK.

Once again the BHF ride was excellently organised, and I made a point of thanking every marshall and ambulance crew I passed on the way. Nice of them to give up their time. Can't wait for the BHF London to Brighton overnight one now. Next stop, the "Silk Run" audax from Tewkesbury on 31 May, though. I'll be in my "Fat Lad at the Back" shirt again, as it went down rather well today.

Cheers, Donger.
May 2014 001.jpg

Attachments

• May 2014 016.jpg
    May 2014 016.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 28

Peteaud

Veteran
Today was the 55 mile Dorset & Somerset Air Ambulance Coast to Coast ride, from Watchet on the North Somerset Coast down to West Bay (aka Broadchurch) in Dorset.

Got to Watchet nice and early to register and the skies didn't have a cloud in them.

large.jpg

Watchet Harbour

large.jpg

North Coast of Somerset.

large.jpg

Met up with @coffeejo at the start and an announcement from the organisers saying the start would be deleyed to 11.20 meant that an executive decision to leave now mas made. The two of us managed to get to the front and set off, followed by god knows how many others. :angel:

large.jpg

The route leaves the coast and heads up into the Quantocks, an area i don't know very well, but it has stunning views.

large.jpg

large.jpg

The Quantock hills

After the 1st food stop we had a small delay, caused by two Fu**wits ,we got going again heading towards the 1st big hill, Rock Hill. Happily both of us went straight up without having to do the walk of shame ^_^. Then across the moors and up into Ilminster for the food station. 2 Bannannannnas and 3 cakes :hungry: consumed, water bottles filled we set off again.

The next hill is the big one, Windwhistle Hill a nastly twisty single road up a progressively steeper climb. I have done it in the past but it is a real struggle. Following Jo (who was in Froome climbing mode) we kept going, and going, and going, at one point i wanted to stop, put my foot down, to rest the legs but not wanting to fall behind or to let Jo down i kept going, right to the top :hyper:. I / We are now certified cycling gods for getting up there. I can't tell you how pleased i am to have done that hill.

Over the top and down a short steep section leads to Purtington hill, another nasty one as the legs are tired. This time side by side for most of the way up we did it. Had to smile at the amount of riders walking in SPD-SL tho.

The comment of several riders around us of "that's all the hills done" made us laugh as there is one final sting, a long plod up to Broadwindsor that really begins to hurt. Having reached the summit it was then all downhill and flat to the end. This really was a great bit of the ride, with both Jo and myself taking it in turns to lead and really put the hammers down.

With 1/2 a mile to go my left leg cramped, god knows what i looked like trying to stop the pain and the muscles going into spasms but it wasn't pretty. Luckily the touring shoes i wear let me pedal with either the heel or midstep and i managed to get back into a rhythm for the finish line.

large.jpg

large.jpg

1 cycling god and 1 cycling Goddess at the finishing line.

full.png

The route.

So all in a really great day, personal achievements a plenty and :hugs: to Jo for today, especially for getting me up Windy hill, and the last 6 miles were just amazing.

Also big hugs and kisses to my wife for dropping me off at the start, getting the car cleaned and waiting around at the finish for me. :wub::wub:

Last edited:

Spartak