Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

The Forestry Centre at Rosliton the destination 60 miles the journey, busy week at work last week and still a little tired, that combined with a head wind made the trip out slow and hard, got the other side of keresley and realized another layer would have been a good idea but kept going, out through Ansley, Hurley and crossed the A5 at Polesworth, let the hooligan loose on the descent into Polesworth, wheelying it off the speed bumps at 30mph+, at 62 I really should have out grown stuff like that.^_^ There was a vintage car do on near Rosliston, lots of lovely old restored cars on the road including an old Mini Van done up in bright yellow as a AA patrol van. It was raining as I left the Cafe but it was only light and off and on, and it had stopped by the time I got to Polesworth, I took a slightly different route back through Botony Bay and Lullington, seen all the old cars in a field, I didn't go through Polesworth on the way back but carried on to Whitherly and Mancetter, and up Purley Chase to Ansley to rejoin my route out, a tail wind most of the way home made for a fast enjoyable ride home.

20140629_100014.jpg
20140629_100919.jpg
20140629_120503.jpg

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Out before 6am this morning, quick ride on my TT bike ..... Coalpit Heath, Yate, Mapleridge Lane & back across Sodbury Common, Pucklechurch and back home, before the rest of the family had got up !!!
20 miles in just under 70 minutes ^_^
http://www.strava.com/activities/159347656

Then this afternoon took my daughter & her grandad across to Chepstow to watch the National Road Race Championship pass by, we had a good position just at the feed station. ( The Garmin-Sharp team car driver kindly gave my daughter a team cap :thumbsup:

Roadrace2014 001.jpg Roadrace2014 002.jpg
Roadrace2014 004.jpg Roadrace2014 006.jpg
Roadrace2014 007.jpg Roadrace2014 008.jpg

postman

Legendary Member
Best ride of the year so far bar none. Just bluddy brilliant.

72km to and through the Surrey Hills and back with a mate in tow. 25.2kph moving average which for me/us, in that terrain, is quick. Glorious weather. Stunning scenery. The view over to Chanctonbury Ring on the South Downs from the south face of Leith Hill required a "Stopping!" just to drink it in. Talking of drinking; great coffee and cake at Peaslake and a man in drag, chapeau!, directing the charity riders. Good banter with other riders all morning inc my fave of the day "Big ring climbing! ***k yeah!" from one of the few people I passed. (EDIT: Bikehike estimates it at 1216m of climbing and I count four uphill chevrons and one uphill double chevron on the OS map)

Oh, and I was wearing a smile and my CycleChat jersey so maybe we will get some new recruits!

Grumpy change your name,just reading that i can hear the excitement in your voice,and the joy jumps out of the writing.Well done.

Ollie W

Cycling pls
Southampton Skyride with a mate. Did three laps of the route which was nice and varied between streets, parks and Southampton Common. Lots to do as well. Main issue was (as expected) lots of slow moving people, which was fine except there were people who either forgot that slow traffic stays left or did the opposite and tried to weave at 15 mph! I was somewhere in the middle. Lots of fun, 15 miles then the pub. Though I almost fell off at the end locking up my brakes :sad:

'Sunday is the new Saturday' It was forecast to be wet yesterday (Saturday) but stayed dry, visa versa it was forecast to be dry today (Sunday) :wacko:
None-the-less it was an enjoyable ride with mates; we had to keep stopping for the slowest rider but more importantly my calf never flared up, even after the 8mile, 21.3mph sprint into town and 22.3mph last 4miles along Oundle Road (although I was spinning the 38t which probably helped) :thumbsup:

After yesterday's ride and a rather busy week of riding after almost 4 weeks off the bike, I wasn't really sure I wanted to do today's ride, and the weather forecast and what was going on outside did not tie in. I was still asleep when we set out, only not baling because my OH hadn't mentioned anything... I could have taken the day off and done my metric century for the month tomorrow instead.... but instead we carried on, each struggling with the start of our route which involves finding the steepest climb in the Delamere Hills and ensuring we do all of it and some more... and it started to drizzle as well... The first hour was hard, very hard, infact my OH only mentioned to me at the 90km mark that he was in two minds as to continue or even go out this morning, but he knew if he quit and we returned home, I would only go out tomorrow and do a solo 100km and after the best part of 400km since last Sunday, he thought I might be better off with a riding partner! Glad he didn't mention this until 12km from home! :laugh:

IMG_0681.JPG

Some piccies - around the Delamere area looking West...

IMG_0685.JPG

Cake - sadly not for me, but the café do stock soya milk, so I could refuel on a soya latte with plenty of added sugar...

IMG_0686.JPG

Somewhere around Tattenhall....

The sun had come out and another rest stop was needed, before the homeward stretch.
Strava says 67 cups (:eek:)... 102.4km, so that is June's +100km ride sorted for, well, June (just!) :laugh: and I am happy with a 21.0kph average!
http://www.strava.com/activities/159562592

Edit: just realised that we were actually home before the time we set out yesterday so that's 168km inside 24hrs... I've never managed an imperial century yet - guess having a sleep part way through the ride means I still haven't! :laugh:

Last edited:

the_mikey

Legendary Member

GrasB

Veteran
There was rain, rain & yet more rain.... not that I mind that much. Also found out that trying to sprint on the high racer in the wet doesn't work, with a 63/37 F:R weight split you just spin the rear wheel up :sad:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
60 Miles for me this morning with FrankW and 400bhp. Woke at 6:30 looked out of the window dry. ^_^ Got dressed had some breakfast looked out of the window raining. :banghead: Lost the sunglasses, on with a gillet, overshoes and a cycling cap. Despite having a bad cold for the last few days, Rules 5 and 9 in full effect. Met at the RV in Ashley at 7:15 then a pleasant run across the Cheshire plain, dodging the heaviest of the rain. Not much to note except 400bhp losing a spoke in Northwhich. Stopped at the Garden Centre near Church Minshull for sustenance. :hungry: I have to say the toast was thicker than anything I have seen sold to the general public before!:eek: Not that I am complaining.
View attachment 48815
@potsy heres what you could have had. ;)
Then a brisk run back into a headwind but keeping a good time. Felt reasonably OK despite the cold. Fairly straight forward until Tatton Park where 2000 ladies of various shapes and sizes dressed in pink were running around the park for a cancer charity. I contemplated taking a photo as it was quite a site, but quickly decided that the risk of being called a pervert outweighred the benefits of you guys seeing the spectacle. :blush:
400bhp lost another spoke near Tatton Park, then split when we got back to Ashley.
Got back noticed both the bike and myself were filthy. The bike could wait, but a nice hot bath for me. All done before midday.
View attachment 48816
Nice and mud spattered.
http://www.strava.com/activities/159006655
That toast is seriously impressive!! :hungry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom