Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Another frustrating ride today, my front derailleur moved last week and yesterdays ride seemed to show that everything was working okay gear wise. Not so today as it failed to engage the smallest chainring resulting in the bike being pushed up the only slope of any note, just glad I picked a pretty easy route today. A couple of hours spent this evening trying to fix the problem passed without success and it looks like a visit to LBS

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well, we did it. Several of us cycled from Poppleton York, to Holme Moss to raise funds for the Rugby Team we coach. We are taking our U17s team to the Netherlands next April for a tournament. Not all of them can afford the ticket, so to make it as inclusive as we can three of us coaches organised a sponsored ride "Le Tour for The Tour" to raise funds.

The ride was chosen as a challenge. Head Coach Jason has turned himself into a keen cyclist, and rode his Triban 3, I am what I am, a mountainbiker with a C2W roadbike (and as the last few of my Ride Today posts have shown, am worryingly fond of riding on the Darkside. ) Martin borrowed his lad's bike, and hasn't ridden a bike since he was 12. He rocked up on a Carrera TDF Pro, and soon realised that a race chainset isn't the best thing for lumpy Yorkshire roads! June was originally planning to ride her Schwinn hybrid, but turned up this morning on a Trek Madone 5 carbon (very nice it was too!), Paul a regular keen cyclist on a carbon Cannondale with high end SRAM kit on it, and Grant on a Ridgeback MTB with slicks.

We had a couple of support cars, and so were able to take a lot of fluids. I must have gone through 8 bottles or more in today's heat.

We kept the average speed manageable, and made it perfectly clear that if the less experienced riders needed a break they were only to ask and they could spend a climb or two in the Broom Wagon (kindly supplied by Andy...what a star!)

The route was the TDF stage 2 route between Poppleton and Holme Moss, 88 miles mapped. My Garmin track shows I did 88 miles and climbed 7,900 feet. No records were broken, but I was absolutely determined to complete the route. I don't mind admitting that I pushed 50 yards of Ripponden Bank, stopped twice going up Blackley, and by the time we got to Holme Moss, only Jason, Paul and I were left. Jason's Dad came to ride the Moss with us. He's 75 and danced on the pedals all the way up according to eyewitness reports. I didn't witness any of it however, I was fighting a private battle miles back with nothing left in my legs. From the second hairpin to the top I had to stop every 100yds or so to regather the will to continue. I have never known pain like it! The last hundred yards to the car park I spent being cheered in by family and supporters, a fantastic feeling. Mrs Cube was heard to say that I was far too stubborn to get in the broomwagon, she knows me too well!

All in all a fantastic day and a fantastic sense of achievement. Off for a shower and bed now!

Edit. I forgot to start my Garmin until a few minutes after we set off. Jason's shows that we actually rode 89.8 miles and climbed 7983 feet. Our elapsed time was 12hrs 30 and my actual riding time was 7.52.

Please consider a retrospective sponsorship donation:
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/le-tour-for-a-tour.161441/

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My nephew and his wife moved into their new house in Sawbridgeworth on Thursday so I went by bike and the other 2 went in the car, we all returned in the car.
Not far from home is Cambridge University Mullard observatory

image.jpg

A couple of miles later is Chapel hill from Haslingfield to Barrington, this is the view from the "summit"

image.jpg

Now being a lad from the Wirral, who then spent his 20's in Devon I've always had a certain view of the county of Essex. The image that I have always had is a million miles from the chocolate box undulating ride that I had today through quiet, deserted rural lanes punctuated with villages with wonderful names such as Nuthampstead, Barkway, Pelham Fernaux, and then I went through Much Hadham.... Wowsers trousers! If it wasn't for all the bloody cars littering the High Street I could have been transported back 300 years
image.jpg

Eventually I dropped down a hill and into the Main Street in Sawbridgeworth. My ride today was 43.43 miles and less than a mile was in a built up area.

Hot and lovely! (Essex, not me.....)

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Mrs G found she'd got a new job yesterday, so it's possible I may have had half a shandy too many in celebration last night. So what better combination than slight headache and baking heat for a quick 16 miler he across the fens.

Funny thing is, after just a few yards in the saddle, I felt 100% better. Weird. Anyways, it was just a quick spin over to Wicken Fen. This is the bridge over a waterway caled Reach Lode..

image.jpg

Near Burwell, I admired the acrobatic dexterity of a pair of collared doves shagging on a telegraph wire. That must take some skill. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it.

At Wicken Fen I found a cool spot to dip my feet in a crystal clear stream. Sorry fish!

image.jpg

Further along, was a very flexibly jointed pony..

image.jpg

In reality it was a couple of course, one seemingly finding the only shade available in the area. It was pretty hot- around 83 degrees.

Towards Swaffham Prior a big grass snake crossed my path. I tried to pick him up but he was less keen on the idea than I was and slithered away. Gorgeous creature though.

A lovely short recovery ride, looking forward to slightly cooler weather next week,

G3CWI

Veteran
Trip to Long Mountain - near Welshpool

Boy was it hot!

I cycled to Wilmslow to catch the 0846 to Shrewsbury. I used the main road. It does have a parallel cycle path but as it's shared with pedestrians, many of whom jog with earphones in and dogs alongside, it's far safer to stay with the cars. Sadly very little cycling infrastructure is suitable for cyclists who travel at more than 10mph. I took it easy. 9.3 miles 16.9mph.

The train was on time and I enjoyed a restful ride to Shrewsbury. At the station I turned on the satnav and set off. For some reason the satnav was playing up and it was a while before I started getting the turn information. I was using automatic routing and it led me all wrong. One section was a footpath across fields. I was happy to push the bike but had to negotiate no less than three electric fences (and a stile) - only to find the footpath was impassable further on. Thus I had to negotiate the fences and stile again. I will be emailing the local Footpaths Officer about this. A few more wrong turns and I began to realise what the problem was - the satnav did not actually know where Long Mountain was. I ended up asking people and eventually got back on the route. It's a long ascent. Not that steep but it goes on for 10km. My main problem was hydration. I was carrying 3.5 litres of water/rehydration fluid and I was sweating it out at a huge rate. Where's the Team Car when you need it? Eventually I got to the top. 24.4 miles 11.2mph.

I have been to Long Mountain a few times but have never had the time (or inclination) to explore. This time I decided to have a look around. I was pleasantly surprised to find a picnic table and bench on the other side of Beacon Ring - with a magnificent view of the Welsh Borders. Perfect. I spent the next couple of hours playing amateur radio (the purpose of the trip).

10357445_10204415519730939_7056070471296662975_n.jpg

I love the ways the flies stick to my legs when I'm cycling with suntan cream on

10388628_339968742826507_8338657315294771201_n.jpg

Not wishing to miss my return train I switched on the satnav. To my horror it was predicting an ETA at Shrewsbury station of 15:37. Given that the train was at 15:49 this was cutting it a bit fine. I packed up in 4 minutes and set off. I had to take it easy down the track to the radio station but as soon as I hit the road I adopted an aero position (as aero as I could get with all the stuff I had with me anyway) and accelerated. The ETA on the satnav started to fall nicely. The main road to Shewsbury was smooth and undulating and I flew along at nearly full power all the way. I arrived at Shrewsbury Station at 15:05 having smashed my PB for 10 miles by 12 seconds (ave 21mph). Overall 16.8 miles, 19.1mph.

I had time to buy some water and a soft drink before the train arrived.
At Wilmslow Station I then just had to cycle home. This time I went the pretty way, slowly. 7.4 miles 13.2mph.

Overall about 58 miles cycled (100km). 322 calories per radio contact.

At home I had two pints of rehydration fluid and two dinners!

Rest day today I think.

Last edited:

djb1971

Legendary Member
Another trip through the local woods then to Hanchurch today. Out super early, no sunrise pics, it was cloudy!!!

Just about to get onto the trails, I was having a 'comfort break':blush:
14568880209_6e4c8ba71d_z.jpg

The ground is still very muddy, it just gives way all of a sudden. The rear wheel is still above ground where it's firm, the front just plopped up to the forks. It's like this in lots of places, surprising considering how dry it's been for weeks
14753184454_dc3d70911a_z.jpg

graham56

Guru
20140727_095459.jpg
P. de Pollenca, Alcudia, Can Picfort, Santa Margalida, Maria de la Salut, Muro, Sa Pobla, Alcudia, P.de Pollenca.
A SMIDSY or whatever thst is in Spanish on a roundabout in Alcudia.The driver couldn't apologise enough, they get their arse kicked for hitting a cyclist.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I set off with the intention of a 30 miler but bailed out and only managed 12 miles. My legs were like jelly and my chest was pounding. I had my usual 3 wetabix with banana for breakfast followed by a litre of water so nutrition and dehydration wasn't an issue, the body just wouldn't play along.

Good point though was that I hit 6 pb's on Strava so all isn't lost

Last edited:

Dark46

Veteran
Have been out with KCC and set another PB at 40.6 mph . A few things today we had a fller while stationary and I forgot to turn on my Garmin after 4 miles ! Doh!!
Good to meet Gordon, Donger and Pete for the first time

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

53 miles the journey, Whitmores Antiques at Shenton the destination, bright sumer morning, blue skys with small white fluffy clouds roaming about, cool breeze blowing, great fun when flying along with it at my back, not so much fun slogging into it, I was in two minds this morning, Shenton or Shackerstone, when I got to the turn for Shenton I had been working into the wind for a while and decided that I'd go to shenton rather than continue into the wind to Shackerstone, first one in the Cafe, I sat out in the garden with my beans on toast and coffee watching it fill up, The Coventry Road Club seemed to have had a good turn out today, leaving the Cafe I encountered a vintage cycle ride traveling the opposite way to me, bikes of various vintages including a trike and several tandems, also a pair of Penny Farthings, they weren't going very fast but it looked like they were enjoying themselves. I'm still suffering the after effects from the Lurgey I had a couple of weeks ago, but both motivation and appitite are showing signs of returning so hopefully the legs will follow, I'd had a good spring and early summer and was going well so its damn annoying to lose it all to a minor illness., but it should come back after a while.

20140727_115533.jpg
20140727_121444.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom