Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Outer Hebrides, Day 3:
Well, I didn't get up in time for my morning ride on Harris today, so had to wait until we had driven all around Harris/Lewis and Great Bernara (making it 10 new islands for us on this trip) and got back to Tarbert for the evening. By the time I hit the road, it was evening time (about 6:15), and I guessed I only had a couple of hours of daylight left. Stupidly, I had left both of my rear lights switched on all day after my very early ride on North Uist yesterday morning, so my fading batteries meant that I had to make the decision to turn back the moment my watch said 7;15.

I set off Eastwards in fading light along a very scenic coast road that the French would call a "corniche". The Harris part of the island of Harris/Lewis reminds me very much of Snowdonia - mountainous and rock-strewn, but with fantastic sandy beaches all along the West coast and lots of rocky coves along the East coast. This contrasts with the Lewis part, which is one huge peat bog -more like Dartmoor but without the ponies. This particular part of Harris that I was riding through is extremely rocky, with very undulating and winding narrow roads. I ended up doing 16.1 miles tonight (about 8 there and straight back the same way). I reckon that 8 of it was quite steep uphill, and 8 was downhill, with virtually no flat at all. I also reckon there was no stretch of more than a couple of hundred yards of straight road anywhere between Tarbert and my turning point near to the far tip of the island of Scalpay. This all made it a very technical ride, requiring concentration and clever gear selection - which I didn't always get right. My speed fluctuated from 3.5 mph to 35mph depending on the gradients (which in places were steep enough to make my front wheel jump up a few times, leaving me unicycling), but at least I kept up my record of never stopping on an up slope.

27 Road to Scalpay.jpg . 30.jpg

Once I crossed the bridge onto Scalpay, the hills became strangely regularly spaced, and I actually found that, if you got your little bursts of power right, it was possible to freewheel your way over 2 or 3 little hills in one go without a single turn of the cranks. On the Scalpay Bridge I saw an eagle fighting over a dead rabbit with a couple of crows - so that's several red deer, a seal and an eagle spotted so far on my rides on these islands. I must say I feel my luck is really up on this holiday so far. Even came close to a shag yesterday........ Sorry, my mistake. it may have been a cormorant.:whistle:

29.jpg

On Scalpay, I got held up by road-blocking sheep a couple of times,

32.jpg

and back on the mainland (Harris) I nearly had a nasty crash when a woman out walking her sheepdog on an enormously long lead let it leap out across the road in front of me during a fast descent. Got back unscathed, and with all my lights fading badly, at 8:05, just after sunset. Won't be able to ride before breakfast tomorrow, as I haven't any spare batteries. But this has been a brilliant stay, and I have got in over 56 miles of unforgettable rides in all so far. on 5 different islands. 16.1 gruelling but fantastic miles tonight in brilliant, wild country..

33.jpg

Now for a week in Inverinate on Loch Duich, and a bit of mountainous cycling. can't wait. Cheers, Donger.:hello:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Sadly only time for a short ride today as I'm on shift this afternoon... :sad:

I used one of my regular routes as I know how long it takes to complete it and still be back in time for a shower, lunch and to post a few bits and pieces. Cogenhoe, Castle Ashby and back via Grendon Hill and up towards Mears Ashby hill. Not mega hills, but enough to get the blood pumping a bit!

Untitled.png

DSC_3123.jpg

Back home in time for a coffee in the garden before wiping the bike down and getting ready.

I really enjoyed blasting the cobwebs out after finishing at 01:00 this morning

25 miles. Lovely warm day and a slight headwind at times and pleased to get a 2nd place on one of the Segments.
Off to work now.... Boooooooo

http://www.strava.com/activities/193768284

:smile:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well I've made new friends today......

I took my regular commute into town today and waited for @robjh and @Stephen C to turn up. @MisterStan was supposed to be playing out but apparently he broke his bike..... Not good!

We rolled out of Cambridge down Barton Road and into the village of Barton, here we spied a herd of llamas, or were they alpacas?
From Comberton we headed to Toft, then a turn up to Hardwick. We were within 1/4 pf a mile from 123HQ.
We went up over the hill between Elsworth and Hilton, then onto Graveley. After Croxton we stopped at the garden centre in Waresley for a brew. I only had a tiny wafer of a waffle, but the other two...... Cakes the size of a farmhouse loaf!
We the rode down to the wonderfully named village of Gamlingay before climbing up to Hatley. We covered the brakes as we rolled down the hill as we had to make a sharp left to take us to Arrington. We were then along Ermine Street climbing 3 hills, the first one was the biggest challenge. On past Wimpole, through Orwell and up The longer side of Barrington Hill. 10 minutes later we were back in Cambridge eating THE finest Italian ice cream this side of Bedford. Rob almost pulled a Japanese tourist at one point, it must have been the way he licked the ice cream that attracted her!
We rode down Trumpington Street together pretending to be in the TdF before I split off to come home.
I'd done 70 miles by the time I was home which was surprising as I've felt like death warmed up for the past 3 days.
It was good to meet fellow cycle chatters and go for a spin, we're planning to do it again soon, so don't be shy!

Peteaud

Veteran
Todays ride meant the 1st part was the painful climb on cold legs out of town and up onto the ridge. That done i then followwed the main road into Yarcombe before turning off on a back lane with an idea to follow the river Yarty.

Straight away was the ford. (the river runs under untill it overflows)

large.jpg

large.jpg

Then i followed the single track lanes all the way down to Axminster following the river.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Then i came across one of the most stunning parts of hidden Devon that know.

large.jpg

Lovely old bridge.
large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

on the new and nasty concrete bridge.
large.jpg

After following the river all the way to Axminster i then turned off and headed the uphill route back home.

All in 25 miles and quite hilly so reasonably pleased.

1 visit from the fairy but with the state of the roads i can live with it.

The good news, i am pleased with the Conti 4000s tyres, that have performed well all summer.

The new prologo saddle is proving to be comfy.
large.jpg

Although i am less than impressed with the Flea light (2nd one as the 1st has already been replaced)

large.jpg

The route (anti clockwise)
full.png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've been out to get my September Metric Century in today. I had an idea about doing an imperial one but was a bit late getting out so that'll have to wait for another time.

Like last time I played it safe with the route and kept to flatter ground, heading north through Montford Bridge and Baschurch to Ellesmere then taking a loop round Welshampton before turning southwards again to Wem, Shawbury, Wroxeter, Cressage and finally heading for Acton Burnell and home.

I made very good progress on the way to Ellesmere and assumed this was down to having a good tail wind, however checking afterwards it was a gentle easterly (according to the Met Office) which would have been a cross wind for the vast majority of the trip. The legs are clearly improving.:thumbsup:

I'm tinkering with the saddle set up again having made a big improvement with the last adjustment. I tried tilting the saddle back a bit more as an experiment early in the ride and it seemed more comfortable (the sit bones feel more like they are being cradled by the saddle rather than being perched on top). As always a few more rides needed to test but it seems very promising.

Another experiment was to take a leaf out of Graeme Obree's book and take jam sandwiches with me.:hungry: A tasty energy boost and they sit better on the stomach when riding - I shall definitely do that again.

Drivers were mostly well behaved today (there's always the odd one but nothing worth making a fuss about). I was a little surprised at how few other cyclists I saw until quite late on in the ride - there can't have been more than four in the first 20 miles.:scratch:

I was still feeling pretty good by the time I got to Acton Burnell so took the longer way home including an extra loop around the block to round up the mileage.

70.1 miles today at 14.6 mph average which I believe is my fastest metric century to date.:wahhey:

DSC0001623.jpg

Drink and cake stop on the way to Ellesmere. The countryside is looking quite autumnal with the grey sky this morning.

DSC0001624.jpg

The Mere at Ellesmere. No boat trips today but there were carriage and pony rides in the park.

DSC0001626.jpg

Wem dressed up in bunting.

DSC0001627.jpg
(Puts on mock Loyd Grossman voice) Who might live in a house like this? The violet hue is quite eye-wateringly vivid in real life

DSC0001628.jpg

Another quick break near Wroxeter and looking towards the Wrekin.

DSC0001629.jpg

Final stop before tackling the last few miles. The speedometer has just recorded 100km at this point

In case anyone is wondering, I shall be writing up my take on the lakes rides but will probably put them into the thread I started a while back in the Members Travelogues section

Stephen C

Über Member
Well I've made new friends today......After Croxton we stopped at the garden centre in Waresley for a brew. I only had a tiny wafer of a waffle, but the other two...... Cakes the size of a farmhouse loaf!

I resent these cake based allegations! I needs all the fruit based help I could get to keep up on the mighty hills!

Really good ride, nice to finally meets some fellow chatters, thanks to @Dave 123 for organising and looking forward to the next one!

Mike_P

Guru
First outing since last weekend today and ended up on a lane close by Fewston reservoir which despite its very lowly status appears to be heading for some maintenance in the near future as the potholes were white circuled which made cycling along appear at first to be simpler than normal. However it quickly became apparent that there are potholes and other things we would all consider potholes but obviously not North Yorkshire highways
IMAG0221.jpg

robjh

Legendary Member
Well I've made new friends today......

I took my regular commute into town today and waited for @robjh and @Stephen C to turn up. @MisterStan was supposed to be playing out but apparently he broke his bike..... Not good!

We rolled out of Cambridge down Barton Road and into the village of Barton, here we spied a herd of llamas, or were they alpacas?
From Comberton we headed to Toft, then a turn up to Hardwick. We were within 1/4 pf a mile from 123HQ.
We went up over the hill between Elsworth and Hilton, then onto Graveley. After Croxton we stopped at the garden centre in Waresley for a brew. I only had a tiny wafer of a waffle, but the other two...... Cakes the size of a farmhouse loaf!
We the rode down to the wonderfully named village of Gamlingay before climbing up to Hatley. We covered the brakes as we rolled down the hill as we had to make a sharp left to take us to Arrington. We were then along Ermine Street climbing 3 hills, the first one was the biggest challenge. On past Wimpole, through Orwell and up The longer side of Barrington Hill. 10 minutes later we were back in Cambridge eating THE finest Italian ice cream this side of Bedford. Rob almost pulled a Japanese tourist at one point, it must have been the way he licked the ice cream that attracted her!
We rode down Trumpington Street together pretending to be in the TdF before I split off to come home.
I'd done 70 miles by the time I was home which was surprising as I've felt like death warmed up for the past 3 days.
It was good to meet fellow cycle chatters and go for a spin, we're planning to do it again soon, so don't be shy!

@Dave123 has said all that needs to be said about the route. Suffice to say it was a good half-day out in the wilds of west Cambridgeshire and showed me some new hills in that area that I hadn't visited before. We also kept up a good pace, rather more than the 13-14mph mooted at the start! Good to meet Dave and @Stephen C, hoping for some more new faces next time.
Here are a couple of pics, at the start in Cambridge :
20140913 Cambridge Cycle Chat ride (2).JPG

and at the finish :
20140913 Cambridge Cycle Chat ride (3).JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom