Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
It was a bit cooler this morning, but still lovely for the 1st November really and so i opted for trousers and my wind proof jacket, which was just about right. I had some new territory planned and some pretty big hills to contend with that I hadn't tried before.

Slight annoyance getting the bike out of the shed, as I poked a hole in my trousers with the mudguard :wacko:

I felt quite lethargic to begin with, on the way to Bayston Hill, legs a bit flat, etc and so I was a bit worried that I was going to struggle on the hills, but a stop at the top of Lyth Hill for a chocolate bar seemed to do the trick.

I continued up Long Lane (which must be the most overused country lane I know, always loads of cars, 13 today!! It doesn't go anywhere in particular :wacko:) and then began the climbing into the stengthening headwind, up to Oaks.
image.jpg

Next destination was Wrentnall, where I passed a nice lady on a horse, who apologised for blocking my path. She really didn't need to! Her dogs were not far ahead, 1 very friendly and 1 scared stiff of me :ohmy:!

I then hit the new territory and the proper climbing. There were a few gradient arrows to contend with as I aimed for Habberley, somewhere I've never been, even in a car. It's a lovely pretty village and has a nice looking pub called the Mytton Arms.

I then turned in the direction of Eastridge Woods, which I am told by my Mountain Biking colleagues is one of the top trails in the country.
image.jpg

I didn't go all the way up to the woods because it looked a steep climb and I had some serious hills to get up yet. I stopped for a bag of crisps and had these 2 join me in the hope of some food ^_^
image.jpg

Back on the road I was heading for Westcott and the infamous Cothercott Hill!! The lane was very busy and I must have pulled in to let about 8 cars through. I think people use it as a cut through to Pontesbury. The lane got steeper and steeper until I reached Cothercott Hill from its Western Side. It reminded me of Lake District climbs and I had to drop to bottom gears and just grind my way up, only stopping once to get my breath though. I had a chap stop to let me through and he wound his window down to give me some encouragement up the hill :thumbsup:

Once I reached the main road there was a bit more climbing to the peak of the hill, where I stopped to take a couple of pics of the fabulous view at about 1200 ft above sea level
image.jpg

Eastridge Woods in the distance, where I had been earlier
image.jpg

It was then the downhill section, which was just the most fantastic bit of cycling I think I've ever done. I broke the 40mph barrier for the 1st time on a bike, 41.3 mph :hyper:!! Worth all of the climbing for that.

It was a general downhill trend for the rest of the ride, thankfully, and with the wind behind me i cruised along to Dorrington, Condover, Atcham, and through Attingham Park.

Out on the horrid rat run I had the usual 1 complete w%#ker, in a Silver truck thing with Thunder emblazoned on the back (not the same 1 as you had trouble with was it @Rickshaw Phil ?) who sped past me doing about 60mph, with a car coming the other way, giving me absolutely no room. I seriously think he missed me by about 6 inches, as it blew me off course towards the hedge. However, learning from Phil's incident, I didn't react and continued to Uffington and home. I probably shouldn't waste my words on these idiots, but it was just downright bloody dangerous and they are the sort of close passes that frustrate me.

35.5 miles
11 mph avg (it was down below 9 after Cothercott!)
1997 ft of climbing
Great fun!

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I opted for the summer outfit this morning, short sleeved Jersey and bib shorts. I bought a pair of North Wave winter boots a month ago, other than riding round outside the house to check the cleats were in the right place I've not worn them.
The first 10 minutes were a touch on the chilly side I must admit, but the bigger niggle was the low, dazzling November sunshine. It seems really ungrateful to moan about it but I think I did all of the ride with a squint.
On my way to tackle Chapel Hill from Haslingfield to Barrington a stoat skeddadled across the road in front of me. I passed a couple on the way up Chapel Hiill who had missed the turn and had to double back by 10 yards, thus robbing them of their momentum! Onwards to Orwell and then past the shire horses at Wimpole. I went up the hill in a fairly high gear and along the ridge I needed a comfort stop.... My bike waited patiently

image.jpg

I was then going to turn left down the hills on the A1198 to the roundabout and then up the hill to Hatley but I was feeling tired (after 15 miles) I think if I'm going to ride on a Saturday then I will gave to ditch the Friday night circuit training, it seems I can't do both!
As I rode past the "Ouse valley bait company" and it's foul stench I heard ac/dc start up back in black from my jersey pocket, it was my brother Pete calling, I promptly cut him off by mistake. I soldiered on down to Gamlingay in an evil head wind, and then I went all wobbly, I got the knock.... At the furthest point from home! I stopped, out of the wind in nice warm sun eating cereal bars whilst talking to Pete on the phone for 10 minutes.
I was intending to go a little further, but I took the direct route home, I have to look after this knackered old carcass! 36 sunny November miles :becool:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
you have lived a very sheltered life Colin...
I have even been bitten by a live badger...

actually re-reading that statement, it would have been more of a challenge to have been bitten by a dead one....:wacko:

(And just to clarify the record, I have been bitten by a badger (tetanus jab only), an adder (tetanus jab, anti-venom and 3 day stay in hospital and 1/2 stone in weight lost, and a 'wild' dog (tetanus jab, 2 more rabies shots, +100 stitches, severed major artery, severed major nerve, punctured major vein... I have decided 3 is enough btw.:whistle:)
I have indeed led a very sheltered life but the lack of serious bites is definitely not one of the things I miss. Wild women nibbles, perhaps (:whistle:), wild animal bites - no! :laugh:

The only things that have bitten me are cat & dog fleas, midges and mozzies. They all seem to like me - I was nearly eaten alive on a holiday on Corfu by mozzies, whereas my then g/f and stepdaughter were not bitten once.

As for roadkill ... Nothing exotic on my ride today - just one rabbit and one grey squirrel. I nipped over to Haworth and back for a change - 19 miles including a circuit through Oxenhope. I'm doing a lot of this kind of ride recently, just plugging away at the MCL target before the bad weather arrives. I haven't done any long rides, but have clocked up 107 hilly miles in the past 7 days.

Speaking of weather - the warm wind of the past week or so had turned distinctly chilly this afternoon. It wasn't bad riding up the A6033 to Cock Hill because the sun was shining and the wind was behind me. Not so pleasant on the return leg when heavy clouds rolled in, and drizzle was getting blasted at me. As soon as I got back to Hebden Bridge, the sun appeared again - typical! :thumbsup:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The weather forecast looked promising (if a little windy) for today so I aimed to get in my metric century for November. It was a little cool at the start but I expected it to warm up (unfortunately it didn't :headshake:).

I headed over Lyth Hill and onto the road through Exfords Green and out towards Lea Cross and then Westbury. Disappointingly, the wind decided not to play nice today. From the forecast I expected to have it helping me most of the way to Oswestry but instead it seemed to move around and I was getting buffeted about and slowed down even on sections where it should have been directly behind me.:wacko:

I did have some good bits though - the run from Halfway House to Coedwy was great and I saw an unusual sight here - a statue of a knight in armour up on scaffolding wearing a builders jacket.:laugh:.

Melverley to Oswestry was slower than hoped. This is the flattest bit of the ride so I was hoping to cruise along quite nicely with that tailwind but in fact could only manage to maintain about 14 mph most of the way :sad:.

There is an event on in Oswestry so my usual route was closed and I had to divert onto roads I'd taken the long way round to avoid.:rolleyes:

After a quick break by the hill fort I continued to Gobowen where I came close to running someone down :ohmy:. As I approached she was chatting with friends, said "ta-ra" to them and stepped out into my path without looking. I wouldn't have passed my cycling proficiency today as I locked the back wheel in my emergency stop.:tongue:

Onto the lanes next en route to Ellesmere, where due to not really paying proper attention I took a wrong turn (one junction too early) so ended up visiting some new places. At the next junction I was checking the map when a chap driving past stopped to check if I was okay.:thumbsup: Not needed as I knew exactly where I'd gone wrong, but it's nice that there are helpful people out there.

At Ellesmere I paused for lunch by The Mere and was treated to what looked like a scene from The Birds as someone made the mistake of feeding the seagulls and geese. Shame I didn't get my camera ready quickly enough.

I took the NCN route to Welshampton and Lyneal next. There was a bit of a scary moment on the way when the back end slid out on mud as I turned into a junction and then I had a sense of deja-vu as rain showers arrived in exactly the same places as a ride I did earlier this year.:rain: Once again I wasn't ready with the waterproofs as it wasn't forecast to rain here today.:dry: Luckily the showers were short lived. Wish I could say the same about the wind. I was riding into it now and it was quite gusty so progress through Cockshutt was quite slow. It rained again on the way to Baschurch - a heavy shower at first that stopped the moment I put my rain cape on, then lighter but longer lasting rain. I finished off my first bottle of water around here and discovered that the second was half empty due to having leaked and soaked the interior of my panniers plus the contents.:thumbsdown:

The rest of the ride was slow but steady and much harder work than I'd usually expect. The bike is absolutely plastered in mud (was clean this morning) so that'll need another good wash tomorrow.

It was a ride of frustrations, but I did 66.5 miles giving me my 13th metric century of the year and averaged 13.4 mph which I suppose isn't too bad under the circumstances.;)

DSC0001790.jpg

Nice at the start. Looking across to the Breidden.

DSC0001791.jpg

Knight in retro-reflective armour.:laugh:

DSC0001792.jpg

Crossing the canal at Maesbury Marsh.

DSC0001794.jpg

Oswestry - there's an event going on. Sadly this chap wasn't drawing much of a crowd.

DSC0001796.jpg

Taking a break by The Mere.

DSC0001797.jpg

Yes, this is a real place name.

DSC0001798.jpg

If you run a public house in Cockshutt, what could be a better name for it?;)

DSC0001799.jpg

Between Little Ness and Montford Bridge, the sun breaks through the rain clouds.

Last edited:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Given the half decent weather forecast I decided that I could fit in sportive number 6 for the year & duly booked the Devils Punch event starting at Alton on the South Downs.

Getting up at 6am after around 2 hours sleep because of the flippin' fireworks was not the best start but the customary bowl of porridge, blackberrys & honey soon sorted me out & I was on my way at 7 for the short journey to Alton.

The overnight rain meant that the first half of the 74 mile route was a fairly soggy affair on the narrow leafy roads but fortunately the sun came out & rising temperature soon dried up all but the most secluded roads.

The course itself was pretty nondescript & not particularly scenic compared to my two previous visits to the South Downs although there was still plenty of going up including a 370ft climb in the first 2 miles which wasn't appreciated by my cold leg muscles!

All in all it was quite a challenging ride & although I got a slow puncture with just 6 miles to go a quick pump up meant I could finish without changing the tube & still enjoy the day.

http://www.strava.com/activities/214245144

010.JPG

005.JPG

Devils Punch.jpg

007.JPG

Bike cleaning for me again tomorrow!! :rolleyes:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The usual Saturday morning bread run with my lad first thing, with a bit of rain. Just as we joined the cyclepath at Sainsburys something hit me in the back of the leg. Afetr stopping and finding nothing, I figured it was a twig. Once at Boots when I took the basket off the bike I discovered it was the basket handle that had come off. Not to worry, found on the return journey and now firmly fixed with a couple of collets from my aeromodelling days:smile:
Today is also a ride day for me, so once suitably attired in a short sleeve top in what was no clear blue skies and warm sunshine, I headed out towards WGP as I've not been there for a while. As I warmed up towards Virginia Water I was passed by a chap and 2 ladies, a quick hello and I used them as my pace setters until we reached the A30 and went our separate ways (A later check on Strava Labs revealed they were from Abberville Velo Club, and about halfway through their ride). A quick lap of the park and then off down Priest Hill, I'll confess to feathering the brakes a few times as I've not been down it before so didn't know the surface but still got up to 31mph without pedalling.
What would have been a great run along the Runneymede was spoilt a little by the headwind, which stuck with me right through to Thorpe Park and beyond, though was nice to have behind me on the homeward leg.
Just over 25 miles today, longest for a long time. I reckon it was the flapjack that kept me going, so SWMBO has kindly offered to make some more:mrpig:
My photo of today, looking over the park from Dukes Lane. Hard to believe it's November..
1 Nov 2014 Dukes Lane WGP.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
After a pretty bad October with a bout of flu and a chesty cough that took a couple of weeks to clear up I finally got out on the bike this afternoon. Took my new phone with me, a Samsung S4 Zoom bought specially for such as its a bit too bulky for day to day use, and picked up cheaply as i referred to in the bargains thread. So a 18 mile trip taking in some of the shots previously put up here to see how much better it actually was.
First up is the view towards Nidderdale, of course the sun had vanished
20141101_135755.jpg

Clearly far sharper, you can pick out the Heyshaw radio mast towards the left.

Next up was the view towards Knabbs Ridge windfarm from the bridleway through the remains of the navy communication base at Forest Moor.

20141101_141019.jpg

You can now also see the tiny wind turbine which is on the opposite site of the A59 from the eight at the wind farm and which really looks silly.

Finally a shot of Fewston reservoir now visible through the trees as Autumn sets in.
20141101_142650.jpg

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
After a pretty bad October with a bout of flu and a chesty cough that took a couple of weeks to clear up I finally got out on the bike this afternoon. Took my new phone with me, a Samsung S4 Zoom bought specially for such as its a bit too bulky for day to day use, and picked up cheaply as i referred to in the bargains thread. So a 18 mile trip taking in some of the shots previously put up here to see how much better it actually was.
First up is the view towards Nidderdale, of course the sun had vanished
View attachment 60580
Clearly far sharper, you can pick out the Heyshaw radio mast towards the left.

Next up was the view towards Knabbs Ridge windfarm from the bridleway through the remains of the navy communication base at Forest Moor.

View attachment 60584
You can now also see the tiny wind turbine which is on the opposite site of the A59 from the eight at the wind farm and which really looks silly.

Finally a shot of Fewston reservoir now visible through the trees as Autumn sets in.
View attachment 60586
Good to hear you're feeling better. :becool:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just a quick 8 miler here this afternoon. Burwell Fen looked like it does on a summer's day..

image.jpg

I'd been hoping to spot some short eared owls, a couple of which were spotted here during the week. They come over for winter and last year would show up well in this kind of sunny light. Sadly none about today.

So to make up for it, I went home via Tubney Fen, near a village called Reach, where thousands of starlings roost in some reedbeds at dusk in winter months. Took a couple of pics but they don't do the spectacle justice..

image.jpg

image.jpg

Trouble is, word is beginning to get round about the starlings. I'd had the place to myself last weekend. Folks are now coming form all over now to see them, so unfortunately there's a few cars about. I know a few hidey holes where I can avoid crowds and still see the starlings, so I'll be heading there next time. I really am turning into a thoroughly miserable git!

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
10 miles was my ride today, to the supermarket for a cut-up chicken, and other edible delights. The Specialized Hardrock was finally mission ready today, after I gave up on twist shifter rehabilitation and just used a thumb shifter for the front derailleur instead. This gave it a reliable shift on the front, and I was happy just to get it out on the road. Beautiful day for riding, in the 40's fahrenheit but sunny and calmer winds than our recent weather, 40+mph gusts Friday.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

From day 1 of a 2 day tour with @Pennine-Paul. 75 miles fixed and 50 miles on day two loosely based on Lancashire cycleway Route 91. A very nice 150 mile loop which I'll finish off tomorrow. With hindsight my first long ride for ages on 74" fixed was probably not a sensible thing to do. I'm very sore today, but it was worth it. Anyone else think Paul looks the embodiment of Yehuda Moon?
The first photo is Paul disappearing over Rivington which I actually cleared. The second is where I was (for the only time) in front of Paul with enough time to photo the moment in history.

The third is where we had to suss out an off road route due to one of the roads at Edgeworth being shut. Good photo op though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Desford the destination, 59 fixed gear miles the journey, got up this morning with the rain bouncing of the windows, but the forecast was for it too clear so I got ready and waited, about nine it cleared so off I went, the overnight rain had washed most of the wet leaves and other detritus off the roads so I was only dealing with wet roads in most places, though there was evidence of spilled fuel and oil in some places, a usual route out of Coventry through Wood End, Shilton, Monks Kirby and Claybrook Pava, a pleasant morning to be out on the bike, I ran into a couple of showers between Croft, and Thurlaston, I got to the outskirts of Desford and was caught by the Coventry Road Club vets and rode the last couple of miles into the cafe with them. Leaving the cafe I turned left instead of right and explored some lanes I didn't know, got lost, picked up a sign for Market Bosworth and rode through to Shenton and continued through Atterton onto Manceter and up Purley Chase, between 10 and 15 miles from home the legs stated to fade and by the time I got home the average speed had dropped off from around 15mph to around 14mph, it was raining steadily for the last few miles between Nuneaton and home but 10 minutes after I walked through the door the sun came out. Not the nicest ride I've done but an enjoyable morning out.

20141102_102514.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom