Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I<snip>

Dusk on the Blackdown Hills:
View attachment 60477

I don't know if you noticed/knew but you caught a mock mirage sunset...

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
a mock mirage sunset - similar to this one of mine... caused by a temperature inversion in the atmosphere. distorts the light rays from the sun causing the waistline you can see in your photo. If you had had water around you would have seen 2 reflections in the water of the sunset... the double reflection in the water is more obvious in this photo.

more info here http://www.atoptics.co.uk/atoptics/mmirsun.htm
Remind me to read this again tomorrow...

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Swift write-up to get a 'My Ride Today' posted .. today :smile:

Lovely weather today, and after topping the automobile up with fuel and a bit of shopping, I got the chance to get a few Road miles in. Without checking, I cannot remember when I last took the Defy2 out for a blast having been more on the Hardtail or Full Suss recently...

Still, off I went and was intending to go to Leisurelakes LBS to check out a few things today but didn't quite have time due to afternoon commitments. Plan 'B' was to just see what road took my fancy and get some Road miles ridden.

One of the places I've wanted to get to was Lyveden New Bield (Nope, not a new housing estate)

DSC_0097.jpg

And also a bridleway and road to the NT site so I could ride there.. Slowly, as it happens, as it's a cinder track to the car-park!

DSC_0090.jpg

It's an Elizabethan summer house in the parish of Aldwinkle St Peter.

DSC_0092.jpg

What a stunning old place to see for the first time!
As it was half term, there were quite a few kids around getting some fresh air and doing a bit of archery, following hallowe'en trails etc. Lovely to see them all enjoying themselves :thumbsup:

I had to double back on myself for a few miles to get back home as the alternative ways would have been more suited to MTB's and ended up riding through Geddington. Now it's been bypassed, it's not so bad. previously, it'd have been a bit dangerous.

Lovely ride, only spoilt by the odd twat or two impatient to get past, only to be held up in traffic a few hundred yards in front of me... So it goes..

Still, 56 miles @ 15.5mph. I was cracking on at 18mph until the last leg home with a bit of a headwind!

http://www.strava.com/activities/213898017

:smile:

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
This morning, a mate called round at about 08:00 with a new 160mm rotor for my Hardtail as the front one I had was a bit dodgy.. I paid him with cake and an espresso.:thumbsup:

After fitting it, we took it on a test ride (any excuse!!) for a short ride before he had to head home so his Mrs could go to the gym.
We rode up a byway towards Sywell, past Sywell Reservoir and then looped back near the aerodrome and Overstone caravan park. There's a nice trail from there through the woods that got us back in the direction of my house. He aimed off home and I washed the bike down, and sat in the garden for half an hour.

Untitled.png

I wouldn't have minded being out for the whole day as it's such a lovely bit of weather here. It's not to be though as I have to go to w*rk this afternoon :sad:

Only 8 or 9 miles, but good to get out to stretch the legs after 56 miles yesterday.

http://www.strava.com/activities/214105070

:smile:

sgl5gjr

Yesterdays ride...... Even though life was getting in the way big time....I found a spare hour, the sun was out & it was 22c....so...on went a summer jersey & shorts, out came the road bike. I set off from home and rode to Kings Ripton then to Abbots Ripton and back home. Head wind on the 3 mile stretch back from Abbots Ripton. I took a photo of the Hall barns at Abbots Ripton and chatted to caravanners at a weekend Rally in the Village Hall grounds. On the way back too,the headwind blew at me over spray from a top dressing tractor....what he was spraying was a dark yellow colour & it did get down the lungs a bit....ewww...
Anyway, not a long ride only 8.97 miles but at 39 mins not a bad result on the new bike which is still bedding in and being "dialled" into my comfort/fit
Today......Granddad is on duty.... So no chance of riding today & rain in the morning puts the mockers on my plans for Sunday..... Tuesday is my usual ride day,which has been hit or miss of late...but with my bike buddy coming this week....we'll ride the busway....

Oh, and I saw a dead badger a couple of months ago. I have never seen a live one, and that was the only dead one.
you have lived a very sheltered life Colin...
I have even been bitten by a live badger...

actually re-reading that statement, it would have been more of a challenge to have been bitten by a dead one....:wacko:

(And just to clarify the record, I have been bitten by a badger (tetanus jab only), an adder (tetanus jab, anti-venom and 3 day stay in hospital and 1/2 stone in weight lost, and a 'wild' dog (tetanus jab, 2 more rabies shots, +100 stitches, severed major artery, severed major nerve, punctured major vein... I have decided 3 is enough btw.:whistle:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom