Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
On a rare occasion, today's ride today!

After finishing work fairly early yesterday (23:45) I was home and in bed by 01:00 dreaming of the alarm clock ringing at 06:45 ready to call at a friends place in Moulton by 08:00 <yawn>

DSC_0065.JPG

As others have noted, it was a chilly -2c start, but buoyed up with porage, and a double espresso, I headed off to our meet.
After a chat for a few minutes, we got going or the cold would have set in. We headed up the Brampton Valley Way, crunching through frozen puddles, to the Waterloo Café near Market Harborough, that serves some splendid coffee and chocolate fudge cake..

DSC_0069.JPG

Even though the tables were still covered in frost, we sat outside. The café was running at about 25c inside so we didn't want to warm up too much or we'd have really felt it when we braved the run back!

After riding through the two tunnels, we clambered up the embankment to see some of the old railway architecture.

DSC_0086.JPG

There are actually other parallel tunnels that are locked up and unrideable to the left of this photo. No a lot of people know that as they just tootle up and down the main track.

DSC_0071.JPG

After traversing the wheel wash, we turned right towards Blueberry Lodge, on the Mcmillan Way for a bit of off-road riding. By this time the ground had thawed a tad and it got boggy in a few places.

DSC_0087.JPG

Come on Alan... It's not that muddy or steep :laugh:

When we got back onto the old railway track, we only had 5 or 6 miles back to Chapel Brampton station, then 5 miles through Broughton and home.

I ended up doing 42 miles in beautiful sunshine and (eventually) feeling quite warm apart from my right thumb and my toes.

http://www.strava.com/activities/226687329

:smile:

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
^_^
On a rare occasion, today's ride today!

After finishing work fairly early yesterday (23:45) I was home and in bed by 01:00 dreaming of the alarm clock ringing at 06:45 ready to call at a friends place in Moulton by 08:00 <yawn>

View attachment 73639

As others have noted, it was a chilly -2c start, but buoyed up with porage, and a double espresso, I headed off to our meet.
After a chat for a few minutes, we got going or the cold would have set in. We headed up the Brampton Valley Way, crunching through frozen puddles, to the Waterloo Café near Market Harborough, that serves some splendid coffee and chocolate fudge cake..

View attachment 73640

Even though the tables were still covered in frost, we sat outside. The café was running at about 25c inside so we didn't want to warm up too much or we'd have really felt it when we braved the run back!

After riding through the two tunnels, we clambered up the embankment to see some of the old railway architecture.

View attachment 73643

There are actually other parallel tunnels that are locked up and unrideable to the left of this photo. No a lot of people know that as they just tootle up and down the main track.

View attachment 73642

After traversing the wheel wash, we turned right towards Blueberry Lodge, on the Mcmillan Way for a bit of off-road riding. By this time the ground had thawed a tad and it got boggy in a few places.

View attachment 73644

Come on Alan... It's not that muddy or steep :laugh:

When we got back onto the old railway track, we only had 5 or 6 miles back to Chapel Brampton station, then 5 miles through Broughton and home.

I ended up doing 42 miles in beautiful sunshine and (eventually) feeling quite warm apart from my right thumb and my toes.

http://www.strava.com/activities/226687329

:smile:

I only have a road bike now, but your pics remind me how much fun a mud munching mountain bike was

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'll add to the collection of :cold: icons already on here. I'd planned to get out and do my metric century for December but it didn't look good at first. It rained here yesterday evening and overnight then froze, so after noticing that the neighbours cars were frozen over (ours were fine :wacko:) I wasn't sure whether it would be safe to make the attempt.

After waiting an hour there seemed to be a bit of a thaw so I set out. I was playing it safe and going for a route I know well - round the outskirts of Shrewsbury, Montford Bridge, Baschurch, Ellesmere, Oswestry, Melverley, Westbury and back home round the edge of Lyth Hill.

At the start I found there was still ice on the cycle paths but it was slushy, although I did go carefully just in case. The road to Montford Bridge was quieter than usual (nice ^_^) and the lanes to Baschurch were mostly fine but there was some slush after Little Ness. Although the conditions were pretty ideal I felt really sluggish in the cold and using the knockabout bike for this trip didn't help. No danger of breaking any records today.;)

At Ellesmere I paused to have my lunch and was hassled by a local who wanted to share (get your own lunch goose). I didn't stop for long but found it really hard work to get going again afterwards. The hills en route to Oswestry helped with that though. These lanes are almost as muddy as they were last time I came this way and I really appreciated my guards - particularly when I passed a guy on a mountain bike whose face was plastered in mud (well, I suppose it was mostly mud :whistle:).

Doing this route anti-clockwise I always dislike the hills just after Gobowen but today, taking it easy on the slower bike they didn't seem too bad. I had another short break for a drink and my remaining cake by the hill fort, where a passer by said: "Gosh, warm isn't it? :heat:" I suppose it is compared to Canada. :giggle:

Oswestry to Melverley is actually slightly down hill (about 150 feet over 5 miles) making for nice easy cruising which helped the average speed a bit. A very patient white van driver held back until it was properly safe to overtake and there was a paramotor flying round (quite fancy having a go on one of those).

After Westbury there's the nice long section which is downhill for about 3 miles. I didn't get up to the sort of speeds I'd expect on a summer ride but the big ring got some use for the only time this trip.

I got back with the sun about to set having covered 62.57 miles (got the metric century) at 12.8 mph average, which I'm fairly happy with on this bike.

DSC0001880.jpg

En route to Little Ness and looking at the distant Breidden hills. It's another 40 miles before I get close to them on today's trip.

DSC0001881.jpg

The canal at Ellesmere.

DSC0001882.jpg

Ellesmere.

DSC0001887.jpg

Someone has come to demand my lunch.

DSC0001890.jpg

Just after Melverley and we get a closer view of the Breidden. I always think it looks like a child's drawing of a hill.:laugh:

DSC0001893.jpg

Nearing home and looking towards the Long Mynd which the sun will shortly be setting behind.

DSC0001895.jpg

A last shot from a favourite viewpoint as I cross Lyth Hill.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi all those who regularly read and post in this thread.
A reminder that 2015's Century a month challenge will start again in only a short few weeks. For those that don't know. It's simple. 1 x 100+ mile ride a month throughout the year, so x 12 rides. That's all there is to it :thumbsup:

Here's the thread for posting rides for the challenge
Here's the thread for the challenge chat.

Be nice to have you on board. :bicycle:

At the end of the year you should get a nice mapped image of your rides like this :thumbsup: and a nice gold star like the ones in my sig.
12months.jpg

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I set off this morning at 8am for a club ride of 45 miles, but it was rather chilly & as only 3 of us turned up we cut the ride short & got home having done just 26 miles, but at 11am the frost on our gates was worse than when I set off at 8, so think we made the right decision :blush: Hoping to tackle the imperial century a month challenge next year, so probably need to man up a bit in January :thumbsup:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
just 14 miles here today. I'm still 250 miles off my 3000 mile target for the year so need to up my game a little. A planned 70 miler to my parents in North West Norfolk next week should help.

Today's ride was over to the usual haunts along the Lodes Way. Short eared owls, merlin, a couple of stonechats and a marsh harrier were highlights in the sunshine on Burwell Fen. Only one pic today. There's a stonechat in there somewhere - one day I'll buy a decent camera.

image.jpg

Met up with some folks I know near Reach watching the starlings roost. Then on home in the moonlight.

I noticed on my cycle computer when i got home that my average speed since Monday has been 9.7 mph! Will aim for 9.6 next week!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
4.6 miles, through rolling countryside, with a couple of hills. Little less than 1/2 hour, as I had to take Mrs. GA to a glass blowing demonstration and sale at the University. Just above freezing, but used hand warmers in mittens just the same. Quite windy, but almost sunny. A good day for the Middle West in Winter.

just 14 miles here today. I'm still 250 miles off my 3000 mile target for the year so need to up my game a little. A planned 70 miler to my parents in North West Norfolk next week should help.

Today's ride was over to the usual haunts along the Lodes Way. Short eared owls, merlin, a couple of stonechats and a marsh harrier were highlights in the sunshine on Burwell Fen. Only one pic today. There's a stonechat in there somewhere - one day I'll buy a decent camera.

View attachment 73683

Met up with some folks I know near Reach watching the starlings roost. Then on home in the moonlight.

I noticed on my cycle computer when i got home that my average speed since Monday has been 9.7 mph! Will aim for 9.6 next week!
I think sometimes it is more luck that the right equipment.
This female stonechat was nothing but seriously good luck. I had been thrown out of the holiday home whilst my husband was revising for an exam. I had my camera equipment with me on the front seat of the car, looking for some landscape photos but the weather really wasn't up to it. I had parked up at the bottom of the track leading up to the holiday home, say in a blizzard just waiting when I noticed the flock around me. This female landed alongside the rear passenger window and stayed out when I put the window down. I got off 3 shots at most, 2 ruined by badly placed falling snowflakes from the blizzard, then they were gone. I never got any of the males sadly. The picture is full frame.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I think sometimes it is more luck that the right equipment.
This female stonechat was nothing but seriously good luck. I had been thrown out of the holiday home whilst my husband was revising for an exam. I had my camera equipment with me on the front seat of the car, looking for some landscape photos but the weather really wasn't up to it. I had parked up at the bottom of the track leading up to the holiday home, say in a blizzard just waiting when I noticed the flock around me. This female landed alongside the rear passenger window and stayed out when I put the window down. I got off 3 shots at most, 2 ruined by badly placed falling snowflakes from the blizzard, then they were gone. I never got any of the males sadly. The picture is full frame.

Wow, that's an amazing shot ! I know what you mean, a guy I was chatting to in a hide recently, showed me a lovely pic he'd taken on his phone of a wheatear and it was very good indeed. The bird just happened to land on a post just 5 feet away from him! I'll persevere- with all the owls we've got lurking down here this winter, I ought to get a decent photo of one of them at least at some stage!

13 rider

Guru
Woke up this morning rain on windows and howling wind duvet was calling. Having arranged to meet mates from work again forced myself out of bed. Rain stopped just as I was leaving^_^.Made the 6 miles to meeting place in good time .did the same 15 mile loop as last week lovely ride except last 2 miles into headwind. After parting company with mates took a completely different route home via Woodhouse Eaves and round the back of old John suffering into headwind most of the way .Despite doing a completely different route I did the same distance as last week 32 m but with more climbing at an average of 12.8 Mph .was going to stay out longer but the head winds were making it hard work. Arrived home just as it sarted to spit with rain what great timing :laugh:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Gave up my intention of a long ride today in favour of my annual Christmas card run in and around Ipswich on #3 The Hybrid (The inaugural one was only last year, but hey, do anything twice in this country and it becomes a tradition, so I'm probably already committed to next year.) Just over 22 miles - cycling shorts on under my trousers - hit the drizzle about halfway through the list and, having gambled on not taking my leggings, got soaked legs. Still came home smiling, though. ^_^

Katherine

Guru
Gave up my intention of a long ride today in favour of my annual Christmas card run in and around Ipswich on #3 The Hybrid (The inaugural one was only last year, but hey, do anything twice in this country and it becomes a tradition, so I'm probably already committed to next year.) Just over 22 miles - cycling shorts on under my trousers - hit the drizzle about halfway through the list and, having gambled on not taking my leggings, got soaked legs. Still came home smiling, though. ^_^

A Christmas card run is a great Idea, I'll have to write them first and plan a route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom