Your rides this year... 2015 review of the year,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I went to Annecy this year. Is Forclaz where the hang gliders launch from? Magnificent views...I stayed in Menthon St Bernard, with a mountain for company! Cow bell heaven when one climbs up high. (Going to take my proper bike next year...I hope)
That's the place. Nice restaurant up there too ... with hang gliders going past a few feet away. Going again next September.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A good year

1. Organised my first CC ride Manchester - Llandudno. Learned a lot and it can't have been too terrible because there are plenty of folk signed up for the 2016 version

2. Went on my first cycling holiday to Sicily. Involving the hardest ride I've ever done; 26km climb up Mount Etna (thankfully not erupting at the time) in 30 degree heat

3. New distance record (7,400km to date) and new climbing record (114,000m to date) most of which has been in a National Park so that's not bad

OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
......Have also done Beziers...Bassan, St Chinian, Bedarieux etc - all lovely places to get 'involved'. Did you head South to Narbonne? Nice flat ride to the seaside from downtown Beziers.....
Sadly didn't have time ... and the road South from where we were didn't look as interesting as the one into the hills. These were the rides I got in during the week we were there (5 rides, 127 miles in all) ...
198 Languedoc rides (5 rides, 127 miles).jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
For me it has to be PBP and the qualifiers, 3/4 of which were challenging;
  • On my 200 (Red Rose Ride) the front wheel broke after 25km, leaving me 60km with no front brake and spokes missing. A £10 wheel later when outside the time limit I sprinted the rest of the way to make it in.
  • The 300 (Everybody Rides to Skeggy) was fine.
  • On the 400 (Llanfair 400) I used the newly-built but not tested Ridgeback for PBP. A mistake which meant lots of adjustments plus there were major headwinds = delays. However I made up the time and finished well.
  • The 600 (E&W Coasts) my Achilles went after 300km, so most of the next 300 was with 1 leg :ohmy: = pain but I made it easily inside the time limit.
Paris-Brest-Paris was plain sailing by comparison; a very fast first 150km with the D-group Vedettes and steady from then on, completing the 1230km in 68 hours, 53 mins, 31 seconds. The Ridgeback Platinum I built in May performed perfectly.

I also had a go at time-trialling - doing 10, 15, 25 and 50 mile TT's, winning my club's trophy for the 50-mile one.

Oh, and I should hit 10,000 miles this year for the first time - probably on 23/24 December.

Last edited:
Roquebrun is great. Did you see all the puppets hanging from the lampposts etc in Murviel les B? St Chinian has a nice bike shop, 'Cycles Mari'...(I bought my first nice road bike there) The D 909 from Bedarieux toward Beziers is one to behold...a trudge uphill, but 'very fast' downhill, then a flat stretch for ever...beautiful roads.
A bit further up from Vieussan, and a bit to the right will be the 'Col de Trieze Vents'. Bit of a 'gentle climb' for fat boys like me. :smile: Nice memories, thanks.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
A cycling trip in America

1.jpg

Heading towards Mt Baker

2.jpg

Scars from last years forest fires in Glacier National Park

3.jpg

Preserved site of a 19th century homestead created by forest clearance near Colville

4.jpg

Some roads were long straight and boring.

5.jpg

The descent from Sherman Pass

6.jpg
Sunset at Anacortes

7.jpg

Anna who, with her husband, kidnapped me in Twisp and took me to a BBQ fifteen miles away
8.jpg

9.jpg

Bears were present near some camp sites. I still managed to have restful nights.

10.jpg

And finally an obligatory train picture.

The folk that I met in Washington State, Idaho and Montana were fantastic. Their hospitality and kindness was brilliant. The weather unfortunately spoiled things a tad. I was counting on a UK climate and the historic weather patterns suggested that this would be so. Just my look to pick a year when the temperatures were 30˚ F higher than the norm. It was also drier than it had ever been for the previous fifty years. In the ten weeks that I was there I saw ten minutes of rain in the first six weeks split between six showers. June's temperatures made it the fifth hottest July since records began and the worst ever forest fires burned through sections of Washington State. My record fluid intake was sixteen imperial pints before the evening beers. I didn't hesitate to scrounge lifts up some of the passes - I would have expired in the heat. I have open invitations to return to Twisp, Mazama and Camano Island and I have every intention of going back in the not too distant future but hiring a car and sampling more of the NW territories and Canada. I might even take Mrs vernon with me.

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Nothing outstanding this year, distance wise. My longest ride was only about 43 miles but many of my rides were consistently 20-30 miles, so happy with that. I think it's been a good year for me.
I'm 21.33 miles or so off my annual target. Yesterday was housework, today wind and rain. Not sure I'll get out until the rain and wind die down a little. Maybe tomorrow.
Getting my CX bike, just before Xmas last year has been a bonus for this year. I've had winter smiles with the miles, which is always good. 2015 was the first winter/spring riding without taking Jan and Feb off, for years.

D

Deleted member 1258

Unfortunately its been a crap cycling year, at some point last winter I fell out of love with cycling, though I've managed to cycle a shade over 4000 miles I've done no events and found myself having to force myself out on the bike, once out I've enjoyed the ride, but theres been many a day when I've just rolled over and gone back to sleep, I've hardly been out in the last couple of months and its the commuting, only 13 miles a day, thats kept the miles up. The highlight of the year has probably been the two bikes I've brought, a Genesis Flyer and an Eastway.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've had a mixed year. I haven't fallen out of love with cycling but did struggle for motivation at points so that combined with being busy with other things meant my mileage is down compared to previous years.

On the plus side, I did do quite a few little tours/hostelling trips which I enjoyed enormously and I plan on more next year. The highlight in some ways was combining a V-CC ride with a weekend trip which meant I covered 158 miles over 2 days on an old 3 speed.

My fitness isn't too bad really, probably better than ever before due to not smoking but I do find myself uncomfortable on really long rides due to a lack of time on the bike. I am intending a lot of miles on a low fixed gear in the next few months to get myself fitter but the weather has not been kind so far this month.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've tried a different method of linking to the pictures.

Have some bonus ones:

bear.jpg

I did get to meet a bear....

buffalo.jpg

Buffalo on the Blackfoot reservation

drug.jpg

The dark underbelly of America. These two women are methamphetamine addicts. No health insurance, one a mother of two ( both of them in care) with the most recent being born two weeks previous to the picture being taken. No ante-natal health care whatsoever because of no health insurance. The other a mother of four with two of them in care. They don't have access to mainstream health care because they don't have health insurance. They were both under thirty and were entertaining conversationalists.

penguin.jpg

A 29' tall concrete penguin at Cut Bank, Montana. It marks both the coldest spot in North America, there's nothing on the high plains to stop the cold Arctic air blasting down from Canada, and the easternmost point of my journey. From Cutbank eastwards, I'd have been the tallest thing around for a thousand miles until reaching North Dakota where the crops in the maize fields would have been the tallest thing around for the next thousand. The Penguin was the most interesting feature of Cut Bank.

larry.jpg

Larry, an ER doctor who insisted that I stayed at his home instead of camping in the cycle store's grounds in Mazama because he had a shower and an English bar in the cellar. It was a tough call because the cycle store had a great bar too and I was going to be left with the keys to the premises so that I had access to the toilet.

....much as I like cycling, I'm also a builder, and started the year completing my LWB recumbent. It's become my favourite ride, the trike sulks in the corner mostly these days. Also attempted to make my own MTB frame, but screwed that one up. Having a second go, but suffering from lazyitis right now, so unlikely to get that one finished this year. Can't compete with you guys for any long distance stuff, just jaunts round the neighbourhood.....

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
2172 miles for the year - don't think it will change much, if not at all, as it just won't stop raining here.

Most rides in the 20-30 mile range with an average of 26.7 per ride @ 14.2 mph av'.

169416' climbed / 2083' per ride / 78' mile.

81 rides in total. Longest was 38.9 miles and most climbing (same ride) was 3711'.

Steepest gradient was around 26% for a short stretch that felt like a long stretch.

No pic's, no outstanding highlights as it's just a 'keep the grim reaper' at bay thing for me. Although a dog off its lead that raced me (it really did and it was not in chase mode) made me smile so maybe that qualifies as a highlight.

Have a good and safe 2016 all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom