Your rides this year... 2015 review of the year,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Unbelievably, yet another calendar year has come and almost gone. Another year of cycling adventures, triumphs, disasters, achievements and failures.

Last year I was constantly amazed by the humbling achievements of some of my fellow cyclists … long distance rides that put my own efforts in the shade, and tales of triumphs over adversity. This year has been no different, with superhuman distance records being set and inspiring stories of refusal to give in to debilitating illnesses and injuries.

As ever, I’ve also enjoyed the write-ups and admired so many of the photos that have been contributed in my favourite “Your ride today” thread, and have been inspired to cycle further afield myself.

So come on, Cycle Chatters …. Let’s hear how 2015 was for you. Where you rode, what you achieved, what went wrong and rides you would recommend.

OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I'll help to kick this off then...
2015. What a year. I've really kicked on this year and done about 1,000 miles more than usual. Off the bike at the moment, but heading towards 2,800 miles for the year. For me, it's all about the challenge, the scenery and the people I ride with.
Entered the Metric Century a Month Challenge this year, and it's been fantastic for me. Have done my share of 100km audax events, starting with this icy one from Bristol in January:
14 The start, 1st audax of 2015.jpg

In the Spring, one of my best moments was a ride with some friends from my club to race the Severn Bore. Here they are on the waterfront at Epney, waiting for the first glimpse (we were to get soaked when we caught up with it for a second time six miles down the road):
45.jpg
In April, the missus surprised me with a quick trip across the channel for a short break near Boulogne. Better still, she even suggested I took the bike. Didn't need asking twice:
98 View of Audresselles.jpg

Next came the annual BHF Cotswolds Bike Ride, which I always do with my mate Andy from Brum. We always take it at his pace and have a nice relaxed pint or two on the way round. A great sunny day it was too, this year:
126.jpg

Acting on a tip-off from @nickyboy, I took a motorway trip up to Glossop to experience the Snake Pass while it was closed to traffic. A wonderful day out, that one. Will never forget the descent down Winnatt's Pass into Castleton. My brakes were scorching!
146 Above Castleton (Winnats Pass).jpg

Then, joy of joys, back to France with Mrs Donger. This time a week in the Languedoc hills above Beziers, and once again she was happy for me to fit in a few early morning bike rides among the hills and the gorges. Wonderful place. Riding up a winding mountain road up level with this place (Vieussan) was my highlight:
192 Up level with Vieussan.jpg

Back home again, and back into my club rides with Kingsway CC. On this occasion I managed to lead the relaxed group 25 miles away to a pub in Ross-on-Wye with no beer. (I have since rectified this with a group ride to Westons Cider Mill at Much Marcle):
210A Club ride to Ross-on-Wye.jpg

Back to my very favourite place on the planet in September (Annecy, in the French Alps, with its fantastic cycle path and wonderful climbs in every direction):
266 Near Ugine.jpg
My personal highlight of the year was climbing off my bike at the top of the Col de la Forclaz and feasting my eyes on what must be one of the best views you can ever earn on a bike:
249.jpg
All in all, over 250 miles done in France this year in three separate trips. Loved every single one of them. Once back home, I carried on with my Century a Month Challenge, doing it all "old school", following my trusty flatnav:
282 Corsham.JPG

A most enjoyable year, all things considered. I was hoping to be show-boating, having completed the Challenge by now, but I'm off my bike for a few days at the moment .... That will just have to wait. Still 25 days to go. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Great photos, I'm envious.
2014 / 15 for me started out buying cheap 2nd hand cycles that needed repair / refurbishing and i did the odd ride out locally, I had been bikeless for many years (probably around twenty years) when for some reason this year I got well and truly bitten by the cycling bug. I ventured further and further afield slowly building up my fitness levels to a point where i decided a good quality road bike was required.
I duly purchased a new Boardman sportbike and have never looked back.
My most memorable and painful ride was the infamous and impressive Crag Vale ride from Mytholmroyd to Blackstone Edge Reservoir ( 4.5 miles uphill) , then back home to Siddal, Halifax, a challenge I will take on again just to prove to myself the first time wasn't a fluke. It's been a great year as far as cycling is concerned filled with personal bests, learning curves and challenges I thought I would never overcome. No pictures unfortunately .

Katherine

Guru
This has been my best cycling year so far.
Some of my best bits include :

Joining the half century a month challenge.
Finding and exploring new routes last winter when the pavement on the cycle path was too icy.
Finding Skyride Local and doing some hilly rides that I wouldn't have done on my own.
Doing my first 50 miler on my own.
Doing my first metric century (only half on my own).
Finding new social groups to ride with.

As @Donger, l really enjoy following other people's achievements, and reading about their rides is so inspiring.

surfdude

Veteran
its been a bad year for me . 1500 miles last year but only 800 this year due to the fecking wind . its bad enough down here with the hills . throw in the wind pushing you backwards all the time and sorry to say it made me lose the joy i get when ride the bike .
the other problem is i got my first motorbike in 15 years so spent a lot of time on her

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You can read some of my year here. [Edited to another site without a log-in, but more-or-less the same article].

Last edited:
OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
You can read some of my year here. Go to page 39. (there's other interesting stuff as well).
It says you need to sign in to read that. But fortunately I've got a copy somewhere. I'll have to look for that. My ugly mug made it into the Spring issue this year too, in a write up of the Jack & Grace Cotton audax.

Cold

Started off the year well as I wasn't working and was able to go out a lot, then work got in the way and my miles dropped by a lot .

Highlights were riding round Amsterdam on my days off on a dutch bike that weighed around a ton, doing 62mph down Birdlip hill and finding routes around the Malvern hills.
Now I'm back in the UK full time I plan to get a lot more miles in.

OP
OP
Donger

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Started off the year well as I wasn't working and was able to go out a lot, then work got in the way and my miles dropped by a lot .

Highlights were riding round Amsterdam on my days off on a dutch bike that weighed around a ton, doing 62mph down Birdlip hill and finding routes around the Malvern hills.
Now I'm back in the UK full time I plan to get a lot more miles in.
Do you mean down past the Air Balloon on the A road among all the big trucks, or the equally scary steep drop from the Royal George? I've done the latter once (and never again) and have never dared to do the main road one! Chapeau.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It says you need to sign in to read that. But fortunately I've got a copy somewhere. I'll have to look for that. My ugly mug made it into the Spring issue this year too, in a write up of the Jack & Grace Cotton audax.
Oh, I'd forgotten the membership bit. I'll dig out my text.

Previous link changed. Or, it's here.

Last edited:

Cold

Do you mean down past the Air Balloon on the A road among all the big trucks, or the equally scary steep drop from the Royal George? I've done the latter once (and never again) and have never dared to do the main road one! Chapeau.

The one from the Royal George don't fancy the other one too much traffic.

I went to Annecy this year. Is Forclaz where the hang gliders launch from? Magnificent views...I stayed in Menthon St Bernard, with a mountain for company! Cow bell heaven when one climbs up high. (Going to take my proper bike next year...I hope)

Have also done Beziers...Bassan, St Chinian, Bedarieux etc - all lovely places to get 'involved'. Did you head South to Narbonne? Nice flat ride to the seaside from downtown Beziers.
Canadairs, dropping water on the forest fires were a regular occurrence in the heat of Summer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom