Your State Pension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not specifically into specific savings pots no.
I was brought up to be proud that a part of my NI (and I guess tax but this wasn't made explicit) was going to pay for older peoples pensions. Paying them back, et cetera.

snorri

Legendary Member
Goodness, I hadn't realised you were so young.
Indeed, his curmudgeonly demeanour is more common in those 40 years older.:biggrin:

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4564418, member: 9609"]no still

Yes retired but still12 years to go until pension age, so my question still remains, once you have paid in the 30 years of contributions which I have done, then I thought you need no longer contribute, but the wording suggest you still have to ?[/QUOTE]
Why not login and find out? ;)

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I reckon a change in common parlance to be groundwork for changes.
Whilst I'd still always refer to it as a benefit I'd man the barricades rather than see it changed into something that resembles "benefits scrounger" benefits.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4564418, member: 9609"]what is JSA ?[/QUOTE]
An allowance, meagre enough, with stringent conditions attached, paid to those who can prove they are actively seeking a job. See also Dole and Unemployment Benefit.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The reality is that we retire too early for the state pension to be affordable. When it was introduced you had to be seventy before you could claim it and very few people lived much beyond that. I believe there were considerably fewer than one million claimants to begin with.

We now live longer and are healthier so we just have to accept that the retirement age will have to rise considerably. I "Retire" in twelve months, but I have no intention (And can't afford to) of stopping working.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
We get along fine on our current private pensions at the moment.
The state pension will be a nice bit of extra pocket money, when I receive it in 4 years time. My wife gets hers the following year.
Might just waste it on new bikes, holidays and wine.^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom