Your State Pension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
According to my statement , I will lose my serps which was only going to be £2k a year and because I was contracted out my OAP will be £134 per week, so that is a bit of a lose lose. Considering to other country's like Spain pay their pensioners a far higher rate than we get here.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
And as a sop to stop the lower orders revolting?
More as an expression of the social democratic ideas of the Labour "khaki" government.

The lower orders have always been rubbish at revolting in this country. (more is the pity)

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
According to my statement , I will lose my serps which was only going to be £2k a year and because I was contracted out my OAP will be £134 per week, so that is a bit of a lose lose. Considering to other country's like Spain pay their pensioners a far higher rate than we get here.
Yeah, I contracted out of SERPS and what I 'contracted into' has performed like a dog. Sold a pup by a suit in the Thatcher/Major era - whodathunkit?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
But they are light and fun posts about politics and economics. ;)

I think you're being invited back into the Special Chats & Paranoids section and Marmion is your key worker.

Indeed. In a manual labour economy being unfit for work through illness, age or other infirmity was a disaster. Well it certainly was for my grandparents generation, and that of their parents, in the Great Northern Coalfield of Co. Durham from the late 1880's to the early 20's. One or two shifts away from the workhouse.

We generally don't know we are born.

One of the things working for the NHS is the nature of the work

As you get older, long days and other aspects such as manual handling and other tasks become more difficult

If the pension age does raise again then I can see many staff retiring on medical grounds before they are pensionable

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

It's something the retail industry complains of. Many a back broken on produce departments in supermarkets, a very common one also in other aspects such as pop, booze and frozen. On-line pods are considerably more physical than people think too. These are jobs where someone may be pulling/pushing between 1 and 5 tonnes of stock a day varying distances (some substantial) and lifting and/or carrying between half a ton and two tonnes a day. You may also walk between 5 and 15 miles per day. The company I used to work with had a magazine that published those in the company who died early.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Is this not a SC&P thread?

I think it's quite nice to discuss an important topic outside SC&P providing it doesn't descend into the usual SC&P bickering and points scoring. A lot of people with opinions and thoughts never set foot in SC&P (mainly due to its bickering and points scoring) so it's good to hear them

I'm sure if it gets out of hand the Mods will kick it into there anyway

My take on state pensions is that I'm not planning on retiring at all. I enjoy what I do and there is nothing to stop me doing it well into my seventies should I wish (other than my perhaps diminishing abilities). If there is a state pension for me when I reach the retirement age (whenever that will be) that's great, but I'm not basing my planning on there being any state element of my pension

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My mother-in-law does quite well out of state aid. She is now disabled (stroke and heart issues) but gets over £1k a month state benefits, no council tax charges, and carers paid for 4 times a day. No private pension ! Crazy.

I think it's quite nice to discuss an important topic outside SC&P providing it doesn't descend into the usual SC&P bickering and points scoring. A lot of people with opinions and thoughts never set foot in SC&P (mainly due to its bickering and points scoring) so it's good to hear them
What. Ever.

Top Bottom