Your thoughts on my choice of bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
orbital

orbital

Hello again!

Still looking for a bike, but since I last posted I've had a bit of a change of heart and decided that a hybrid was kind of neither one thing or another so I'm going to go more on the road side of things and then perhaps next year I'll get myself a pukka mountain bike too.

Getting back to my decision to go for a road bike, I've really like the look of the Claud Butler Levante 2009:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/claud-butler/levante-2009-road-bike-ec018831

Are their any Levante owners on here? Are there other decent road bikes in this price range I should be adding to my shortlist? Oh and flatbar only please. My rugby playing days have left my back a bit tender to say the least :wacko:. This is more than I wanted to pay when I set out looking for a bike, but I think I could just about manage this, but definitely no more.

willem

Über Member
I think that you would be best served with a lightish touring bike that will take somewhat wider tyres. I agree with Randochap that balloon tyre bikes such as his Bleriot are ideal, but you will not get those for this budget. In any event, there are now really fast wider tyres and these give you both excellent road speed and decent off road capability. You can always run two sets of tyres as well, of course.
For maximum versatility, go for a 26 inch wheel bike, as it gets pretty close to that Bleriot but at a much lower price. You can fit 50 mm Schwalbe Big Apples as all round tyres, or Schwalbe Kojaks or Panaracer High Roads as fast tyres and something grippier for off road. The choice in this size is virtually endless. There are also quite a few bikes that use this size tyres but that are not mtb's.
I also have a sore back at times, and I am not that young anymore either. I think a drop bar at saddle level or even a bit higher is best for that. Anyway, forget front suspension and discs. At your pricepoint they only add weight.
If you really want to go for a 'road' bike, I suggest you go for an audax bike, i.e. one with more clearance for slightly wider tyres, and a more comfortable geometry.
Enjoy the ride,
Willem

willem

Über Member
Just don't go by the look of bikes. In fact, by the look of this bike with its fantasy wheels I feel very unhappy (and there is quite a bit more in the specs that I don't like). The choice of an actual bike is the last stage in the process. First focus on the kind of riding you want to do, and then on the kind of bike you need for that.
So if you want a practical and comfortable road bike, get an audax bike. If you want more off road capability, get an 28 inch wheeled tourer with cantilever or v brakes, and clearance for 37 or even 42 mm tyres. If you want even more off road capability, go for a 26 inch wheeled tourer. Please realize that you can always fit narrower, lighter, faster, tyres to a bike that was designed for heavier duty. The other way around is impossible. The only thing you need to realize is that such sturdier touring bikes are also a bit stiffer. I fyou wan to make them faster, get lighter tyres, but not (much) narrower, as you will need to make the frame less harsh when it is unloaded.
For a limited budget, I think the Dawes Sport Comp and basic Galaxy bikes are a really good deal. Make sure the size is right.
Willem

For that price have you looked at the Giant Defy series, 4 I think, Dawes Giro range, not sure where the Trek and Specialized start but around there. A few people have also been looking at the Raleigh Airlite range, those will all be drop bar bikes which I presume is where you're coming from now. If you still want a flat bar bike there are many more options, plenty are road geometry but with flat bars as opposed to drop but still carry the hybrid tag.

OP
OP
orbital

orbital

Just incase anyone is interested (which I doubt ;)) I finally decided on one of these:

picture.php

Very pleased with my choice in the end (Giant FCR 4). So much nicer to ride than my old MTB. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Cheers

Dave

Top Bottom