Your views on the UK's membership of the EU

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Big fan of the EU, glad the UK's part of it, always wondered whether the whole Euro project might be a step too far. Have to say it's increasingly looking that way. How can a country with 2% growth and another with -2% have the same base rate? Makes no sense to me.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Having lived and worked in Spain and having Greek customers I can tell you with certainty that business and public life in both countries are as corrupt as hell. A Greek bloke told me yesterday that most of Greece's wealth is in the hands of eight very rich men; the Greek government has asked them to stump up just ten percent of their loot, which will be enough to solve all Greece's problems. They have refused, saying they don't want to open their books up to scrutiny.

Against that kind of scenario, what hope is there of relatively well regulated countries like the UK and Scandinavia cooperating in a common market?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
But we can't summarily execute this thread and drag it through the streets to "Current Affairs & Debates"... we have to keep it alive and give it a fair trial first.
smile.gif

[edit: damn, I thought this was the Gaddafi thread]

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
But we can't summarily execute this thread and drag it through the streets to "Current Affairs & Debates"... we have to keep it alive and give it a fair trial first.
smile.gif

:bravo:

Being half Swiss and half a Celtic mixed salad, I'm what I think of as an european - I'll leave the capital E for the big European power brokers currently holding the continent to ransom. Methinks the French are trying to punch above their weight and will have to stand down confronted with an implacable Germany. The French just need a face-saving way of packaging defeat as a victory to their public.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
smile.gif

I'm thinking if more despotic threads met their end being dragged through the forum to a slow death in 'Current affairs ...' instead of escaping to a safe area like 'Know-how' for the rest or their years, or alternatively a show-trial and cosy imprisonment in a locked thread, we'd have less Gadaffi threads not more in this world.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Well I'm going out.... I may be some time.

diapason

Yes, there was a referendum, but it was 'sold' as a trading agreement between the sovereign states, not, as it is now becoming, a Fourth German Reich.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
For you Tommy...

My memories of the 70s?

The world is a very different place now to 1973... when the Eastern Block was a distant place but not a financial burden. We still had manufacturing and the energy crisis was just starting to make it's mark as coal stocks declined before North Sea Oil had begun flowing - when Made in China still meant shoddy, cheap plastic toys. When Datsun and Toyota were still fledgling car manufacturers with poor quality products.

Because France and Germany had vetoed Britain's entry into the Common Market, it became an aspiration rather than a practical advantage.

Top Bottom