Your walk today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These guys know their subject, they are out mapping routes every week.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/new...oKZiiX1bYbz8UIFBeI_aem_23QOujncXy5l_rXDOupHuA

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterday's walk and tube jolly to London with granddaughter was tiring but enjoyable.
We got a Just Park for the car for £7 right beside Highgate Tube station then, after a breakfast at a café on the A1, we walked through Waterlow Park to Highgate Cemetery where we had a tour booked.

DSC_4921~2.JPG

DSC_4936~2.JPG

DSC_4927~2.JPG

DSC_4926~4.JPG

Wonderful place to visit, either with a tour or just for a wander around. Famous graves include Marx, Douglas Adams, George Michael, Alexander Letvinenko plus many more both known & forgotten! It's not a morbid place, though, even in the catacombs...!
Once finished there, we walked to Archway for a tube to Tottenham Court Road to walk to Speakers Corner where, surprisingly, no-one was actually speaking!

DSC_4947.JPG

DSC_4953.JPG

Next visit was to 'Frameless', a visual & audio thing by Marble Arch.
Very good it was, too, and at least we go the chance to sit down for a while 😊

DSC_4960.JPG

Walk and tube to the Bank of England was our next visit where security was quite tight, as expected, for a wander around the free museum. Above pic is me lifting up a 13 kilo gold ingot.. Too big to wiggle out of the hole, sadly 😂

DSC_4969.JPG

DSC_4973.JPG

Next was a walk & tube to Waterloo to Leake Street Arches, under Waterloo Station, that Granddaughter discovered, where Street Artists rattle their spray cans and get to work (officially, I think!)

Screenshot_20240702-213101~2.png

Total Strava'd was just under 30 miles but that includes trains. I guesstimate about 7 ish miles walked judging by my legs...
No chance for a Boris Bike, unfortunately.. Next time hopefully.
Tube back to the car in Highgate after a great day out.

😊

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yesterday's walk and tube jolly to London with granddaughter was tiring but enjoyable.
We got a Just Park for the car for £7 right beside Highgate Tube station then, after a breakfast at a café on the A1, we walked through Waterlow Park to Highgate Cemetery where we had a tour booked.

View attachment 736271

View attachment 736273

View attachment 736272

View attachment 736280
Wonderful place to visit, either with a tour or just for a wander around. Famous graves include Marx, Douglas Adams, George Michael, Alexander Letvinenko plus many more both known & forgotten! It's not a morbid place, though, even in the catacombs...!
Once finished there, we walked to Archway for a tube to Tottenham Court Road to walk to Speakers Corner where, surprisingly, no-one was actually speaking!

View attachment 736277

View attachment 736278
Next visit was to 'Frameless', a visual & audio thing by Marble Arch.
Very good it was, too, and at least we go the chance to sit down for a while 😊

View attachment 736279
Walk and tube to the Bank of England was our next visit where security was quite tight, as expected, for a wander around the free museum. Above pic is me lifting up a 13 kilo gold ingot.. Too big to wiggle out of the hole, sadly 😂

View attachment 736276

View attachment 736275
Next was a walk & tube to Waterloo to Leake Street Arches, under Waterloo Station, that Granddaughter discovered, where Street Artists rattle their spray cans and get to work (officially, I think!)

View attachment 736274
Total Strava'd was just under 30 miles but that includes trains. I guesstimate about 7 ish miles walked judging by my legs...
No chance for a Boris Bike, unfortunately.. Next time hopefully.
Tube back to the car in Highgate after a great day out.

😊

Excellent & evocative pic's. Enjoyed reading that.

PeteXXX

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
An hour out early with my gorgeous, 8 month old Cairn Terrier. As I do every Morning…..

Disturbed the local Heron having his breakfast (Pond picture). Other than that just lovely to be out early enjoying the World and spending time with my girl 😎

Attachments

• IMG_4081.jpeg
    IMG_4081.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4292.jpeg
    IMG_4292.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4281.jpeg
    IMG_4281.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4289.jpeg
    IMG_4289.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4274.jpeg
    IMG_4274.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4294.jpeg
    IMG_4294.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran

PeteXXX

Today's walk was me avoiding shopping 😂
I volunteered to take granddaughter's Cockerpoo puppy & Bonnie for a walk around the nature reserve behind Rushden Lakes retail park..

Screenshot_20240710-141359~2.png

I reckon we had much more fun getting muddy feet (and paws) then MrsPete and granddaughter!

DSC_5019.JPG

Back to the Boardwalk..

DSC_5035.JPG

Just time for a coffee before meeting up with bag laden ladies!

3½ miles with a bit of sun, a bit of drizzle & a bit of heavier rain but definitely much better than shopping!

PeteXXX

Last Saturday's walk but just got the chance to mention it...
Up at my normal work time of 02:50 to drive to the Peak District for a ride & walk day.. shortish 6 mile ride around Cromford and High Peaks trail at sunrise,though it was cloudy so no spectacular views, sadly,on the Brommie before driving to the aptly named Surprise View car park. Aptly named as it was closed! Never mind..quick check of the map showed another car park half way round my planned route by Upper Burbage bridge.

Screenshot_20240714-182003~2.png

Initially, I was planning on walking along the top of the ridge but decided to take the more defined path at the base, both leading to the same point at Burbage bridge where it crosses the A6187. By this time the closed car park was open. Speaking to a local hiker, it's closed until 9am to deter yoof from holding raves, whatever they are..
P7130056.JPG

P7130061.JPG

My destinations, several miles later: Carl Wark on the Left & Higger Tor on the right horizon. There is a winding footpath visible but that would have cut out a lot of my walk so I didn't use it.

P7130087.JPG

P7130086.JPG

P7130079.JPG

The southernmost part of the route was alongside rocky streams, over old wooden footbridges and throughspooky bit of woodland with gnarled & moss covered trees!

P7130098.JPG

Most spectacular, made better by being nearly the only person there (The Peaks, like numerous places) can get so busy as to be un-enjoyable. To me, anyway!
Once through these woods, it was a steepish climb round hairpin bends to the top of the woods to where I had intended to start, the aforementioned and now open Surprise Car Park..

P7130117.JPG

P7130113.JPG

With a bit more altitude to gain, I continued across the moorland towards, then up, an Iron Age fort, Carl Wark. From the fort it was a descent via the same 'steps' then a steep ascent and clamber to the top of Higger Tor which was quite busy by this time and not quite as nice as I thought it might be to be honest! Never mind: sometimes the map and reality are different!.
It was only about a mile back to the car where, instead of the half a dozen vehicles, it was rammed with people looking for spaces. I'm glad I start early on my little jaunts! :laugh:

Anyway. Just under 7 miles walked and ready to head back home and leave the madding crowds to their devices....

Top Bottom