Your wildlife encounters....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
today on our various journeys that have taken us no further than 6 miles from home we have seen 6 red tailed kite, 4 little egrets , a curlew and loadfs of other what we class a normal birds

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
ive swallowed about a million flies...
otherwise known as flying protein supplements... :laugh:

Most of the wildlife I see at the moment is squashed :sad:
But in the past I have had a couple of those encounters where a buzzard or similar flies along parallel or just in front for hundreds of yards - lovely!

Best sightings, although not cycling at the time, were sea otters in Scotland - once on the shore, and once when we were kayaking in a sea loch and came across a family of them playing - magical!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Thread resurrection!

The Glossy Ibis (or one just like it) has returned, now looking slightly prettier than before!
It's somewhere in that field behind my old tourer:
DSCN0704.JPG

Need a bit more zoom; now got the correct setting on the camera, still not particularly well-focussed, but at least you can see some glossiness in its newly acquired adult plumage.
DSCN0699.JPG

(Photos taken this afternoon in Gonalston, Notts)

Last edited:
OP
OP
nappadang

nappadang

Über Member
Thread resurrection!

The Glossy Ibis (or one just like it) has returned, now looking slightly prettier than before!
It's somewhere in that field behind my old tourer:
View attachment 39715
Need a bit more zoom; now got the correct setting on the camera, still not particularly well-focussed, but at least you can see some glossiness in its newly acquired adult plumage.
View attachment 39716

(Photos taken this afternoon in Gonalston, Notts)
Nice one, is that pic digiscoped?

we had a couple of Glossy Ibis knocking around South Tyneside earlier in the winter, they really are a magnificent bird.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Nice one, is that pic digiscoped?

we had a couple of Glossy Ibis knocking around South Tyneside earlier in the winter, they really are a magnificent bird.

Thanks, @nappadang.
Digiscoped with Opticron HR66 scope fitted with 28x WW lens and a Nikon Coolpix 4500.
Had this setup for a few years now, but never really got the hang of using it properly, hence the fuzzy focus!
I'd never seen one of these birds until last November, about a km from where I saw this one - quite probably the same bird. They're quietly spectacular when seen in good light. Quite a confident creature; just goes about its feeding and doesn't seem to be bothered by anything, even being nearly knocked over by courting Mallards!

OP
OP
nappadang

nappadang

Über Member
[quwife "Poacher, post: 2973004, member: 893"]Thanks, @nappadang.
Digiscoped with Opticron HR66 scope fitted with 28x WW lens and a Nikon Coolpix 4500.
Had this setup for a few years now, but never really got the hang of using it properly, hence the fuzzy focus!
I'd never seen one of these birds until last November, about a km from where I saw this one - quite probably the same bird. They're quietly spectacular when seen in good light. Quite a confident creature; just goes about its feeding and doesn't seem to be bothered by anything, even being nearly knocked over by courting Mallards![/quote]
My wife and I had a digiscope set up a while back. Similar results to what you are getting. I just gave up and bought some nice binoculars. My wife has spent a King's ransom on DSLR kit.

Top Bottom