You're crazy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I know you've all heard this before, but it's worth mentioning again just for laughs.

This is all I hear from my colleagues at work:

"12 miles one way? On your bike? 24 miles in a day? In this weather? You're crazy!"

Been commuting for 6 months now and each time a car-driving colleague learns that I cycle, they always close by saying that I'm crazy.

I politely agree with them, but inside am thinking yeah right - you're the crazy fools who sit in traffic and weigh more than is good for you. What is it with non-cyclists? They have this utter disbelief in something that really makes sense every way possible?

I feel like I’ve seen the light, whereas they’re still living in the dark. There seems to be a certain paradox with cycling. I normally find that if I do an activity long enough, I get sick of it. With cycling, the more I ride, the more I want to ride. I’ve often nipped out for a ride in my lunch hour.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Too true Moodyman, non cycling folk just don't get it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My wife even thinks I'm nuts...

From colleagues I've had questions like...what you've ridden 120 miles in a day ?????... Me, no.....not a day....just over 6 hours :evil:

Riding through storms, they thought I'd lost it, riding through deep snow they thought I'd lost it, and taking the long route home........ straight jacket time. :smile:

Zippy

I'm in the doldrums at he moment waiting for a trade wind, winter blues. Sometimes if you are off the bike for a time it is so hard to get back into the swing. I lose the attitude I need to cope and assert myself in traffic and the fear gets to me.

Right, enough - time to get back on that bike. Tomorrow morning I commute by bike. Thanks Moodyman - just a shove enough to get me going again.

OP
OP
Moodyman

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Good on you Zippy.

Re asserting yourself. I honestly can't say that I've suffered the abuse from motorists that a lot of guys mention on here.

But then again, I'm a nice cyclist. I don't RLJ, I wait in the queue rather than filtering to the front (unless absolutely safe to do so) and I always thank and apologise where relevant.

thomas

the tank engine
Moodyman said:
Good on you Zippy.

Re asserting yourself. I honestly can't say that I've suffered the abuse from motorists that a lot of guys mention on here.

But then again, I'm a nice cyclist. I don't RLJ, I wait in the queue rather than filtering to the front (unless absolutely safe to do so) and I always thank and apologise where relevant.

I'm the same, but have had problems with motorists...rarely just abuse like yelling, but close overtakes is the general thing I suffer. I think it just depends what kind of roads (and time) you commute on/at.

During the snow people couldn't believed I cycled in it.Kept asking me.

Obviously though it wasn't as bad as what some of you guys had to suffer.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Soon as we get a lovely spring day I'm going to try "you drove in? in this weather?"

Unless it snows again, in which case I'll start sooner.

fossyant

Unfortunately, I'm at the point of being seen as a nutcase, so only extremes surprise them.....

Although did tell two cycling colleagues about climbing The Wizard on Fixed....both said "Rather you than me"......daft idea, but might become part of the next CC Manchester fixed ride.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fortunately, all my colleagues are more likely to say "You drove in? What's up?" (and also "when did you get a car?"). But I have a neighbour downstairs, lovely lady, has a bike herself, and no car, but perpetually amazed by anything over about 3 miles....

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I get other cyclists at work calling me crazy. i wear the gear because i do 14miles each way and they joke about it taking me longer than them to get ready because i layer up etc.. where as they just throw any odd clothes they have on. one guy even cycled in his long johns once :|

fossyant

The gear is there for a purpose. It works and 14 miles in 'civvies' isn't funny.

I am amazed how much modern clothing technology has come on. Many moons ago, winter cycling meant layering up with 4-5 tops - very little of it was wicking..... Now, it's a base layer and a wind resistant but breathable jersey - keeps you warm starting off, and not overheating later on..magic.

potsy

Rambler
fossyant said:
:ohmy::biggrin:

Need to plan a better route with a better cafe stop now...... can't leave the bikes unattended anymore.....sheesh....
Yeah was a bit weird that,not exactly packed with kids was it? When are you thinking month wise pal?

Top Bottom