"You're going too fast!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

purplepolly

Originally Posted by Cunobelin
Finally - you should be travelling at a speed in which you can safely stop - regardless.

I was cycling along the 4 lane normally congested A6 the other week, rapidly catching up with a youth who was cycling on the pavement, when he remembered there was an adjacent road and decided to use it, without looking to see if anyone else was there, and was suddenly right in front of me. Luckily the road was otherwise and abnormally empty so I swerved while letting out an alarmed scream. Judging by the distance that he jumped, he had no idea that I was there.

If we all travelled at a speed in which we can safely stop with people like him around, then everyone would have to proceed at walking pace. May it would be best just to walk and then we won't get in the way of everyone else who hasn't read the highway code and doesn't have even a grain of common sense.:biggrin:

Thet are some good comments about how you was maybe going to fast. But there is no speed limit for a cycle! so how could you be going to fast?

Miquel In De Rain said:
Too fast for the enviroment you are travelling in.I think the cops can still do you for dangerous? cycling no?

Nope all they can do you for (if they think you are going to fast) is riding furoresy Ie your peddles are turning to fast!!

Cycling dangerously is just that if you are endangering overs/ things around you.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Landslide said:
Sounds like someone with an infernal combustion engine whinging about someone travelling over 3mph under their own steam to me...

Not really,im probably just a bit more sensible than you.

OP
OP
smeg

smeg

purplepolly said:
I was cycling along the 4 lane normally congested A6 the other week, rapidly catching up with a youth who was cycling on the pavement, when he remembered there was an adjacent road and decided to use it, without looking to see if anyone else was there, and was suddenly right in front of me.
I've had that on more than one occasion, the only near misses I've had have been with other "cyclists" if you can call them that. I've had someone stop right in front of me in the middle of the road without looking behind approaching a roundabout to talk to someone on the pavement the other side. On another occasion I was about to overtake a cyclist that was going slowly, again he didn't look round and shot straight across me so I had to brake - he was about to cross over the other side of the road for whatever reason (he apologised though). It's hardly surprising some motorists have utter contempt for cyclists with numpties like that on the roads masquerading around as cyclists.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Yeah i've had that as well smeg and i've made mistakes myself.

OP
OP
smeg

smeg

addictfreak said:
'What are those stupid looking shoot bikes with saddles right down low you see kids/teens riding, wobbling along like they do with their knees around their ears? :biggrin: They look ridiculous.'

They are just cyclists like you! Different kind of cycle but a cycle none the less.
Do you think so? I think they're more akin to stakeboarders & chav types messing about with their mates than cyclists. I've just realised they are BMX's, they used to be quite cool bikes when I was a kid in the 80's - now they look ridiculous. I've seen some kids with one of those recently that has no brakes at all :smile:

Cubist

Still wavin'
smeg said:
Do you think so? I think they're more akin to stakeboarders & chav types messing about with their mates than cyclists. I've just realised they are BMX's, they used to be quite cool bikes when I was a kid in the 80's - now they look ridiculous. I've seen some kids with one of those recently that has no brakes at all :biggrin:

So the only proper type of cyclist is the one exactly like you?

An awful lot of trials riders, dirtjumpers, BMXers and freeriders will disagree with you! It's this kind of stereotyping which gives young people a bad name. I seem to spend my entire working life trying to persuade the terminally stupid that not all kids are pointless vandals blah rant blah. Try looking at life from a different perspective FFS. My son and his mates do a lot of skating, dirtjumping, bit of BMXing etc....are they chav types?

Oh, and for the record, trials, BMX and jump bikes have low saddles for a very good reason. They aren't necessarily A to B bikes, but then as you haven't taken the trouble to even think why they should be different to yours, then why would you care?

jimboalee

I'm not saying OP was heading for disaster, but....

When you hit the tarmac at 30 mph wearing lycra shorts and jersey, you get to know how hard it is.

The M/C rider was prob wearing leathers.

Hitting the tarmac at 20 gets you a broken arm. I am the proof of that.

And before you all shout, a front tyre sudden puncture deflation can have you sideways in an instant. I am also the proof of that with scratched-up rim still in shed.

yenrod

smeg said:
Interesting commute again today, I was cycling into work this morning - a motorbike comes alongside me and the bloke says "you're going too fast!"
Eh? :wacko: That's a new one - was he having trouble keeping up or what? :laugh: Makes a change from being called a prick by dim shoot teenagers and having disposable lighters thrown at me I guess. Funny thing was I don't think he said it as a joke. How can I be going too fast cycling, I was going something though was doing 25-30mph on the flat ;) must look a bit odd seeing someone bombing it on a touring bike rather than lycra clad on a racing bike, wire basket n' all on the back with work gear etc in it lol. Eat my dust. :sad:

On the way home some dumbass teenager went straight across the road into my path on some piece of crap bike along the Quay, the only reason I slowed down was cos' I knew he was going to do it (wasn't looking :smile: in a world of his own like the peds further along) I shouted "Hey Dopey!" he was lucky I didn't have more to say than that with some colourful language added. What are those stupid looking shoot bikes with saddles right down low you see kids/teens riding, wobbling along like they do with their knees around their ears? :o) They look ridiculous.

Theres nowt wrong with SMEG going too fast !

If it was me i'd have looked @ the motorcyclist and said whats the problem !

Within the safety limit ie speed limit then thats his decision !

smeg said:
Do you think so? I think they're more akin to stakeboarders & chav types messing about with their mates than cyclists. I've just realised they are BMX's, they used to be quite cool bikes when I was a kid in the 80's - now they look ridiculous. I've seen some kids with one of those recently that has no brakes at all ;)

Perhaps your just an old fart now whinging about kids having fun

Crankarm

Guru
smeg said:
Interesting commute again today, I was cycling into work this morning - a motorbike comes alongside me and the bloke says "you're going too fast!"
Eh? :wacko: That's a new one - was he having trouble keeping up or what? :laugh: Makes a change from being called a prick by dim shoot teenagers and having disposable lighters thrown at me I guess. Funny thing was I don't think he said it as a joke. How can I be going too fast cycling, I was going something though was doing 25-30mph on the flat ;) must look a bit odd seeing someone bombing it on a touring bike rather than lycra clad on a racing bike, wire basket n' all on the back with work gear etc in it lol. Eat my dust. :sad:

On the way home some dumbass teenager went straight across the road into my path on some piece of crap bike along the Quay, the only reason I slowed down was cos' I knew he was going to do it (wasn't looking :smile: in a world of his own like the peds further along) I shouted "Hey Dopey!" he was lucky I didn't have more to say than that with some colourful language added. What are those stupid looking shoot bikes with saddles right down low you see kids/teens riding, wobbling along like they do with their knees around their ears? :o) They look ridiculous.

To the motorcyclist : "If you can't keep up then take some of those pizzas off the back :wacko::laugh::o)."

Of the "dumbass" teenager on the crap bike I sympathise as they are even more unpredictable than the 10 year old taking the family mutt for a walk. Just one word though on low or saddleless bikes and tarring all teenagers with the same brush, well two words actually:

Danny MaCaskill

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmEESQkEnlU&NR=1

Top Bottom