YouTube Dilema

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
While I was in a bus lane, which allows taxis, a taxi overtook me leaving very little space between us. I guessed where he was going, a small detour for me, and managed to catch him up in order to get a good facial shot. He immediately apologised for being to close, stating a car on his right had caused him to pass too close. I will review my video later to see if his excuse holds up.
My dilemma is that his apology seemed genuine enough although he was a little shocked I had managed to catch him up, I am not a small guy and probably he may have noticed the camera stuck on top of my helmet. Did not help his cause by the fact he had parked his empty taxi in a parent/toddler space despite plenty of normal spaces available.

dondare

Über Member
BSRU said:
While I was in a bus lane, which allows taxis, a taxi overtook me leaving very little space between us. I guessed where he was going, a small detour for me, and managed to catch him up in order to get a good facial shot. He immediately apologised for being to close, stating a car on his right had caused him to pass too close. I will review my video later to see if his excuse holds up.
My dilemma is that his apology seemed genuine enough although he was a little shocked I had managed to catch him up, I am not a small guy and probably he may have noticed the camera stuck on top of my helmet. Did not help his cause by the fact he had parked his empty taxi in a parent/toddler space despite plenty of normal spaces available.

Cameras seem to be trouble magnets. My thoughts when I see some of these youtube clips are "save your indignation for something more serious".

jimboalee

If I had a helmet cam that recorded smells, I could have posted a quite brill vid on PhewTube.

An abattoir skip truck passing closely.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Just reviewed the video and the cabbie is being insincere, he had no excuses and his pass was far more dangerous than I first thought.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
dondare said:
Cameras seem to be trouble magnets. My thoughts when I see some of these youtube clips are "save your indignation for something more serious".
How can this be true?, someone has to overtake me and then look back to see the camera.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
User3143 said:
If the above is an example of the 'culture' among cyclists who wear helmet cams then they should be banned. Honestly, whatever happened to serenity and accepting the cabbies version of events.
The whole point of the camera is it shows what really happened, instead of relying on someone's opinion, including mine, which can be wrong or exaggerated.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
User3143 said:
Post a link to your vid so I can have a look please.
I have to wait until I get home before I can cut it down to size for uploading to YouTube.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
User3143 said:
If the above is an example of the 'culture' among cyclists who wear helmet cams then they should be banned. Honestly, whatever happened to serenity and accepting the cabbies version of events.

LMAO!!!

dondare

Über Member
BSRU said:
How can this be true?, someone has to overtake me and then look back to see the camera.

They seem to be trouble magnets in that cyclists who wear them seem to have more near misses and confrontations than I do.
And when posted on youtube, some (not all) of those near misses appear to be completely unremarkable and some (not all) of those confrontations completely unnecessary.
Post it and see. I promise that I won't flame.

manalog

Über Member
dondare said:

Do you really want to wait for something more serious to happen before reporting bad driving? This same Driver could knock someone or the same Cyclist off his/her bike a few days/weeks later because it wasn't reported because it wasn't "serious". :biggrin: The OP was obviously bothered by this Driver but was unsure because he "apologised"
Just my 2pence.

bryce

Wondering whether the actual act of securing a camera to one's bike makes you more uptight? I know I'm usually more relaxed without my HRM/ speed computer.

What compels cam-wearers to attach the cam day-in day-out? I can understand it for a nice ride in the countryside. But filming the same commute twice every day?

What happens to the daily commutes when nothing happens? Deleted? If so, then does dangerous driving count as a 'highlight'? Very weird world for me...

Top Bottom