YouTube Dilema

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jmetz

why would they even be arsed if they were on youtube, i know i wouldnt, if they dont care how they have acted then i doubt a clip with a car matching their reg on youtube will deter them. Surely just take the reg and report, no need for the rest of the nonesense.

dondare

Über Member
HLaB said:
Smile, you're on Candid Camera and youtube too :biggrin:

Now that one was worth posting.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Of course it makes a difference. Most drivers really do care if they are on youtube, especially when they know they've driven badly and their registration is searchable. Just look at those who've tried to get the video removed by reporting it to youtube.

Reporting it to the police does nothing for much bad driving, and at most will only get a letter from roadsafe. Well, unless it's a company vehicle, in which case you can often see the driver with a sickly expression as they realise just what they've done, and the possible consequences.

And this sort of action most definitely does deter drivers. Only on Sunday we had an aggressive young woman driver tone it down immediately I yelled and pointed out the camera. Before this she was tailgating and beeping two of our group on the CC London ride.

You anti-camera lot, you carry on doing nothing for your fellow cyclists, and criticising those of us who do care to take action. That'll get you a lot of respect, yes.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
BentMikey said:
Funnily enough I was thinking about posting a topic on how to tell people their registration is on youtube in a way that's least controversial.

How about a sticker, that obviously causes no damage to the vehicle, or a business card stating they have been YouTube'd and the url to your channel.

dondare

Über Member
BentMikey said:
Of course it makes a difference. Most drivers really do care if they are on youtube, especially when they know they've driven badly and their registration is searchable. Just look at those who've tried to get the video removed by reporting it to youtube.

Reporting it to the police does nothing for much bad driving, and at most will only get a letter from roadsafe. Well, unless it's a company vehicle, in which case you can often see the driver with a sickly expression as they realise just what they've done, and the possible consequences.

And this sort of action most definitely does deter drivers. Only on Sunday we had an aggressive young woman driver tone it down immediately I yelled and pointed out the camera. Before this she was tailgating and beeping two of our group on the CC London ride.

You anti-camera lot, you carry on doing nothing for your fellow cyclists, and criticising those of us who do care to take action. That'll get you a lot of respect, yes.

I'm not anti-camera, I just think that many of the youtube clips are mountains made out of wormcasts. (Not yours, of course.)

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Mark_Robson said:
Are you aware that the driver is still driving the vehicle?
I meant instead of confronting the driver while they are stopped. I could not imagine anything more dangerous than trying to hand a business card to a car driver while they are actually moving, let alone to some in a huge truck.

I was only giving a suggestion, I would not bother myself as people are very territorial and unpredictable when they are surround by a metal cage with four wheels.

Origamist

Legendary Member
dondare said:
I'm not anti-camera, I just think that many of the youtube clips are mountains made out of wormcasts. (Not yours, of course.)

It's an interesting question, but films focussing on the casual disregard that many vulnerable road users face at the hands of motorists is as important as extreme vids of the "crash, bang, wallop" or "holy shoot" variety. They may not be as exciting, gruesome, or scary but film covering more commonplace incidents capture the indifference and/or disdain meted out to cyclists. It is this more general culture of disrepsect that needs to be highlighted and challenged. The downside is that thousands of videos dealing with quotidian carelessness paint (an arguably skewed) portrait of cyclist-unfriendly conditions in the UK.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cars are many drivers prized possession. Put any type of sticker on a car and I can imagine you will get more trouble then it's worth.

BSRU said:
How about a sticker, that obviously causes no damage to the vehicle, or a business card stating they have been YouTube'd and the url to your channel.

Jmetz

Although as i have stated i think quite often it appears on camera as though the cyclist initiated any aggression or arguments, but also that the posting of such videos as a deterrent to drivers is a complete waste of time, i do however find such videos are highly useful for demonstrating situations which can arise, and common areas for these, i.e traffic islands, which viewing can certainly be highly benefical to any new cyclists.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Lee, you clearly don't understand what a straw man argument is. You RLJ for purely selfish reasons - this is no misrepresentation of your position. You're disdainful and thus also selfish about camera users and use in much the same way in that you don't care about changing conditions for you and your fellow cyclists.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Jmetz said:
Although as i have stated i think quite often it appears on camera as though the cyclist initiated any aggression or arguments,

A little better observation will show you that the cyclist is not the initiator in most videos, it's the driver's bad driving that is the initial cause.

Jmetz said:
but also that the posting of such videos as a deterrent to drivers is a complete waste of time

This bit is also completely wrong. Just seeing the camera causes many drivers to become immediately more careful. I've had significant success in changing driver behaviour, as have many of the other youtubers as a direct result of posting these videos. Quite a few have resulted in company apologies. What would you feel if you were called in by your boss/director/fleet manager at your work for some p1ss poor driving behaviour?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
User3143 said:
That's simply rubbish, I fail to see how you can link RLJing to what I'm saying about helmet cameras!! That's madness.

Of course it is - it's about your attitude towards other road users. It's exactly the same selfishness shown in both examples, nothing more.

User3143 said:
Changing conditions? Please post a link that shows that vids posted on Youtube have a positive effect on motorists and their attitudes towards cyclists.

Any number of company youtube links, where the companies have responded with an apology. They brought significant consequences to the driver involved.

Top Bottom