YouTube Dilema

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark_Robson

Mike, just to take this back on topic for a moment, I understand your motives for posting videos of bad drivers on Youtube but in reality I think that it could back fire on you. You could create a Asbo type culture where young kids think it's actually cool to have their antics posted on your channel or disgruntled drivers may actually start to target bents in revenge close passes. That may sound melodramatic but it is possible. I would suggest that you discuss your proposal with the Police before you any further with it because once you make your idea public and start to advertise it you are going to leave yourself very exposed.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ahahahahahaahaahaa!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
User3143 said:
So what about the other videos then?

Of those drivers that did look for their video, the embarrassment is still there. Not as painful as that for the company driver, sure, but still. I don't think any of us would like to be on youtube, identifiable, and not able to get the video taken down.

Jmetz

BentMikey said:
A little better observation will show you that the cyclist is not the initiator in most videos, it's the driver's bad driving that is the initial cause.

Obviously the driver initiates the situations through his/her actions, but from my youtube experience it is quite often the one to go racing after a car and so on. But i guess thats down to which videos you watch.

BentMikey said:
This bit is also completely wrong. Just seeing the camera causes many drivers to become immediately more careful. I've had significant success in changing driver behaviour, as have many of the other youtubers as a direct result of posting these videos. Quite a few have resulted in company apologies. What would you feel if you were called in by your boss/director/fleet manager at your work for some p1ss poor driving behaviour?

How do you know it has changed that drivers behaviour? I can see the argument for a company no doubt, cant argue there, but perhaps the affects will be much shorter lived, or even non-existant in relation to the everyday motorist.

I'd be careful with the sticker notion too, i wouldnt take kindly to someone putting anything adhesive to my bike nor car.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Jmetz said:
How do you know it has changed that drivers behaviour? I can see the argument for a company no doubt, cant argue there, but perhaps the affects will be much shorter lived, or even non-existant in relation to the everyday motorist.

I'd be careful with the sticker notion too, i wouldnt take kindly to someone putting anything adhesive to my bike nor car.

I didn't say anything about stickers. I don't think that's a good idea either.

How do I know it's changed driver behaviour? I think the effects will be smaller with an ordinary motorist, but still there. How else do you explain the improved driving shown by an aggressive moton when they notice the camera, or the immediate improvement in manners? This is not rare, but very common. I'm quite amazed how you'd try to argue against something that's so blatantly obvious.

Jmetz

As i said, it is likely to be short lived, so yes maybe occur during the period of about a minute while you're still around, but after that then what, thats all i'm getting at. The relevance in relation to company drivers i can see, but to the generic driver, not so much, purely in my view.

The sticker malarky wasn't aimed at yourself, i just thought id give it response.

As for Gaz the scalping ones are my faves, although i was on the unfortunate end of karma last week... unfamiliar area, saw a person fully clad in lycra, on a nice flat steadily mulling along, intended to take but saw a hill so waited, on the next flat sped past what turned out to be a woman of about 70, only to find an even bigger hill,. upon which she ambled past me as i lost the will to live..... hare and tortoise moment

manalog

Über Member
BentMikey said:
You anti-camera lot, you carry on doing nothing for your fellow cyclists, and criticising those of us who do care to take action. That'll get you a lot of respect, yes.

+1
Instead of supporting those who care about other Cylist they rant about other cyclist with Cams!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Good, it looks like you're both rather closer to my position that youtubing does have a useful effect. Yes, I'd agree that the effect on ordinary motons is likely smaller than it will be on a company driver. That's OK, the amount of pain for a reported company driver is likely to be quite serious for some, especially in this recession.

Many of the drivers will see one cycling youtube video, and then see the many similar video links YouTube suggests. That'll lead them to realise that there are many cyclists, motor cyclists, and drivers youtubing, so it will have a longer effect. They won't know who is filming them, and they will be reminded of the original incident every time they see another cyclist, even if the camera is just a light on their helmet.

It's very amusing hearing drivers ask me if "That's a camera". You can often hear the slightly stressed and excited tone to their question. There are clearly many people out there who worry about it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
bryce said:
What compels cam-wearers to attach the cam day-in day-out? I can understand it for a nice ride in the countryside. But filming the same commute twice every day?

What happens to the daily commutes when nothing happens? Deleted? If so, then does dangerous driving count as a 'highlight'? Very weird world for me...

The reason I wear a camera (having very recently bought it, i.e. last week) and film every commute, is quite simple. The act of commuting normally involves cycling on busy roads, where the chance of being hit or involved in an incident is increased (at least for me), vs a nice weekend ride out somewhere quiet. Thus wearing a camera is solely for the purpose of evidence in the case of an incident involving me (or as a secondary concern, another road user, car, cyclist or even pedestrian, in the case it witnesses an incident not involving me) should the need be.

I was recently knocked of by someone who wouldnt provide details, acted aggresivelly and then tells me he isnt insured and leaves. Yes I have witnesses, but a camera would have been infallible evidence in this case, should it have survived the crash (which it would have no doubt in this case).

And yup, on commutes where there are no incidents, footage is deleted without even watching it. I dont upload my footage to youtube to pick out idiots, it is on my helmet for every ride, I have deleted all footage recorded using it so far, and hope this remains the case. But id much rather have it than not due to my recent experiences.

I turn it on, and then ride to work/home/out for a nice leisurely ride and on the most part forget it is there. If it has any effect on the way I cycle, id say its a possitive one, i.e. prompting me to look behind more often and not to make silly manouvres or mistakes because I know im filming my own stupidity if I act that way.

dondare

Über Member
manalog said:
+1
Instead of supporting those who care about other Cylist they rant about other cyclist with Cams!

I try not to rant. (As long as you don't get me started....) But those Ubend clips do not always show the cyclist who posts them in a good light, and by association, don't show cyclists generally in a good light.

If I filmed my rides and posted all the times that I genuinely feel enraged or endangered by the actions of other road users then I'd be posting about one a year, and perhaps not every year.

If I posted every bit of crap driving I saw then that'd be another matter entirely, but what I see is the same as everyone else can see so it doesn't need to be posted.

manalog

Über Member
dondare said:
I try not to rant. (As long as you don't get me started....) But those Ubend clips do not always show the cyclist who posts them in a good light, and by association, don't show cyclists generally in a good light.

If I filmed my rides and posted all the times that I genuinely feel enraged or endangered by the actions of other road users then I'd be posting about one a year, and perhaps not every year.

If I posted every bit of crap driving I saw then that'd be another matter entirely, but what I see is the same as everyone else can see so it doesn't need to be posted.

Where do you commute Dondare sounds like cyclists heaven.

BSRU said:
How about a sticker, that obviously causes no damage to the vehicle, or a business card stating they have been YouTube'd and the url to your channel.

....and then upload it elsewhere other than YT and let them get frustrated knowing there is footage of them somewhere but thay can't see what it is

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
dondare said:
Cameras seem to be trouble magnets. ".
not in my experience, quite the opposite in fact

User3143 said:
If the above is an example of the 'culture' among cyclists who wear helmet cams then they should be banned. Honestly, whatever happened to serenity and accepting the cabbies version of events.

What culture? why am I always the last to know.

please, can somebody let me know when i join a culture (I would have worn something more formal)

if there is a culture, I can assure you I am not a member.

bryce said:
What compels cam-wearers to attach the cam day-in day-out?
What happens to the daily commutes when nothing happens?

Safety.
Yes, deleted along with 99% of all my footage (that i dont even review)

For my part, I dont "upload" videos to youtube very often, if I do, I make a habit of trying to make them informative or helpful in some way or just funny.

I agree that chasing offending drivers is a really bad idea...for us all... and there is something to be said for the negative image that it conveys to other road sharers.

but, after all said and done, nothing will stop me recording my rides.

dondare

Über Member
manalog said:
Where do you commute Dondare sounds like cyclists heaven.
Barnet to Bloomsbury. (Morning.) A1000 (GNR) to Archway, then through Camden.
Bloomsbury to Barnet. (Evening.) .evoba sA

Top Bottom