YouTube Dilema

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Too concise for your own good Lee. But what am I referring too...? :ohmy:

One numpy who becomes more aware due to dodgy footagevisit from plod is a result surely.
Nobody expects to change the world in a day. Little by little, chip, chip away.

A single driver considering their actions is a RESULT, surely you can't dismiss that? Magnatom hitting TV=big result, but the youtube crowd are smaller fish, but fish nonetheless.

I think I see your point, having a camera on should not encourage following drivers and forcing them to 'face up to being a prat' while I hide behind the camera...

and in that I agree.

2Loose said:
Do I get the impression that Lee is resisting any options of legal defence or retribution against bullying motorists by cyclists?

I get the message that cameras are evil because sh*tty driving is the acceptable norm. But then again, it is only from him...but then RLJ'ing is not defendable.

That was a close overtake, endangering other road users in the outer lanes, probably more for them than the cyclist posting it.

**Editing this because Lee's playing of the devil's advocate often polarizes these threads after all**

I use the cam to pick up on my cycling and positioning....also looking at dodgy incidents...Have a few interesting ones as well as the Blackfriars Bridge incident somewhere.

Had one with a cabbie at Bank also...he pulled in but it looks like nothing on cam and the ped incident doesn't look as serious as it was.Think the handlebar cam picked it up better.

User3143 said:
I'm not talking about that.

Actually this one. Nonetheless, I hope that my point was clear.

And I agree with hackers (and others) use of cams, they should remain as educational aids, perhaps to be used in the event of something bad where the police should be involved, rather than the 'I am cyclist - better than car driver' argument. Or in worst case, prosecutioninsurance proof.

NB. I don't wear a cam...yet.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Like I said earlier, you've agreed with my position. Filming does affect driver behaviour, not as much as we'd like it to, but far more than you tried to suggest in the beginning.

p.s. You best go read up on straw man arguments and learn what they really are, because you've shown your misunderstanding quite well here.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
Not really for reasons in respect of new drivers, mentality, culture, risk, strategy, education and implementation. Can't be arsed to go into now and Origamist knows more about the above then I do. I'm going to watch Predator 2.

Predator 2 really isn't very good and Cloverfield was on.

That was bad driving from a professional driver. How much worse it was from what people expect from cabbies is hard to tell from that clip of film.

I get the impression that camera-toting cyclists condition themselves to notice and react to bad driving and possibly become more confrontational themselves. But then again, perhaps they were like that before.

I would be genuinely interested to see film from your rides. There might be some interesting moments that you regard as unremarkable. I could be wrong, but I suspect that if you ever did feel the need to chase someone down it wouldn't be to tell them "this is going on youtube".

dondare

Über Member
BentMikey said:
Yeah, 2Loose, I've no idea what he's trying to get at either.

BM, you did once film Lee riding through the darkened streets of London. Could you save me the trouble of finding the clip by posting the link?

martint235

Dog on a bike
dondare said:
I get the impression that camera-toting cyclists condition themselves to notice and react to bad driving and possibly become more confrontational themselves. But then again, perhaps they were like that before.

I think I'm the opposite. Not had the camera for very long but before I had it, I was extremely confrontational, always willing to chase a moton down and have a good slanging match. Since getting the camera, I don't shout and swear (missus sometimes watches the films) and tend to just point to the camera rather than enter a row.

:wacko:

dondare

Über Member
martint235 said:
I think I'm the opposite. Not had the camera for very long but before I had it, I was extremely confrontational, always willing to chase a moton down and have a good slanging match. Since getting the camera, I don't shout and swear (missus sometimes watches the films) and tend to just point to the camera rather than enter a row.

:laugh:

Well that is consistant with my alternative hypothesis that it's the confrontational cyclists who use the helmet cams.

As Karpaith reminded us recently, correlation is not the same as cause.

dondare

Über Member
User3143 said:
If I ever had a camera I'd film parts of my ride to eduacate my fellow cyclist brethen. Not as a tool to ride after some cabbie who made a genuine mistake and confront them in a car park. Then start a thread about what to do and use the fact that he was parked in a parent & toddler space (not illegal) as a contributing factor.

The cabbie was being a genuine prat. He didn't even need to use the bus lane, the traffic was moving freely. Using a space intended for someone else may not be illegal but it's selfish and antisocial which is morally as bad.

Top Bottom