Ypres and WW1 Routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

man in black

Now after my Paris ride, I have the bug even more to go touring.

I am looking to go mid to end of August travelling Dover to Dunkirk then on to Ypres, Menin Gate and visit places of interest in the area. I can do this over a week or so.
If any one can give me advice and routes maybe then can share so I can start to prepare, or if anyone fancies to come along with me.
Not sure on camping, like my comforts too much, so b&b recommendations would be great too.

Many thanks in advance

Broadside

Guru
I've just recently come back from 3 days of riding around Belgium, it is a great place for riding. Ypres is very nice and worth a visit, also worth putting Tyne Cot cemetery on your list if you're in to that thing. I found the north of the country fairly flat, so if you want some variety head for the hills around Oudenaarde, and ride a route to include the cobbles around Koppenberg and there is some nice countryside around Knokteberg. If you happen to be anywhere near Tielt there is a bar as you come in to the centre which has tables and chairs outside with a bike stuck to the wall, they are very cycling friendly, in fact they are cycling crazy with Eddie Merckx signed jerseys everywhere, they are lovely people in there.

robgul

Legendary Member
From Ypres there is a very well signed route that takes you around lots of the key WW1 sites - we did it in 2 halves over 2 days (got roughly half way on day 1 and then rode direct to our hotel/B&B in Ypres, following day retraced to the signed route and did the rest back to Ypres. A great trip. Maps etc are available - it's called the Peace Trail http://www.fietsroute.org/Cycling.php?fietsroutes=The_Peace_Route ... and there's a good book written by Major & Mrs Holt - see http://www.guide-books.co.uk/ypres-leper.html A must is the Cloth Hall in the centre of Ypres.

... we did it in 2012 as a club tour - and plan to ride again sometime .... I'm even tempted to join you (but camping isn't for me!)

If you want to PM me I can probably find the itinerary from our trip (Calais - St Omer - Ypres - Gravelines - Calais - using the Eurotunnel Bike Service)

Rob

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

man in black

The peace route looks perfect thank you, I have just ordered the book ' Before Endevours Fade' looking more into it seems the book to have!

robgul

Legendary Member
I think you'll find the whole WW1 thing very moving when you see the trenches and graves etc ... when we went one of our group found a realtive's grave at Tyne Cot.

... and I remembered - we stayed at a B&B in Ypres called Hortensia, about 300 yards from the main square - excellent with secure bike storage etc.

Rob

OP
OP
M

man in black

Thanks for the b&b info Rob, would it be best to stay here for a few days as a base and cycle the routes?
Cheers
Tony

Top Bottom