Zappa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think Roxy & Elsewhere is my favourite album, possibly... it's hard to say. I prefer his 70's stuff to the 80s and 60s, and prefer the early/mid 70s.

Never seen Zappa live bit did see ZPZ on their first tour, with Steve Vai and Napoleon Murphy Brock as guests... that was truly awesome.
I don't have a particular favourite era for Frank but the 'stripped down' 70s band were excellent,

View: https://youtu.be/LszJ9sM3bbk

Ruth Komanof/Underwood :wub:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There are some good tribute acts too, I've seen this line-up play

View: https://youtu.be/jk7hgzo2Iok

first saw the Muffin Men in 2001ish, when they had Jimmy Carl Black on vocals... possibly one of the greatest gigs i've had the pleasure to attend. Their line up has completely changed now, with only Roddy remaining. They're not as good IMO.
There was another from the north east called Wagga Jawaka, with a five piece horn section... also excellent, but disbanded, apparently due to far too much hoop jumping dealing with the Zappa Family Trust.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
first saw the Muffin Men in 2001ish, when they had Jimmy Carl Black on vocals... possibly one of the greatest gigs i've had the pleasure to attend. Their line up has completely changed now, with only Roddy remaining. They're not as good IMO.
There was another from the north east called Wagga Jawaka, with a five piece horn section... also excellent, but disbanded, apparently due to far too much hoop jumping dealing with the Zappa Family Trust.
Even Dweezil struggles with the 'Zappa Family Trust' since Gail died.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Six days before he was pushed off the stage at the Rainbow, a fan loosed off a flare at a concert beside Lake Geneva and set fire to the venue.
Luckily, Deep Purple were nearby and were inspired to compose Smoke on the Water...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Six days before he was pushed off the stage at the Rainbow, a fan loosed off a flare at a concert beside Lake Geneva and set fire to the venue.
Luckily, Deep Purple were nearby and were inspired to compose Smoke on the Water...
Snag was it destroyed most of the bands instruments so they hastily borrowed kit but had problems with that at the next gig (the one where he was injured. ) Frank didn't just get pushed off the stage though, he ended up falling into the orchestra pit around a 16 foot drop.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
"We're Only In It For The Money" was my early introduction to Frank Zappa. For early 1968, it was a stunningly bleak jab at the loopy but wonderful optimism of 1967. He was a brilliant musician, and I love much of his non-orchestral stuff. I even enjoyed some of his puerile potty humour in the 70's like Apostrophe, and Sheik Yerbouti, but the appeal fades with time. I think he would have been better if he hadn't tried to lay his relentlessly cynical trip on me, and just played his music.

BTW, do I make Pseuds' Corner?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
"We're Only In It For The Money" was my early introduction to Frank Zappa. For early 1968, it was a stunningly bleak jab at the loopy but wonderful optimism of 1967. He was a brilliant musician, and I love much of his non-orchestral stuff. I even enjoyed some of his puerile potty humour in the 70's like Apostrophe, and Sheik Yerbouti, but the appeal fades with time. I think he would have been better if he hadn't tried to lay his relentlessly cynical trip on me, and just played his music.

BTW, do I make Pseuds' Corner?
For the really puerile humour this takes some beating as do the other albums with 'Flo & Eddie' on vocals

WARNING - Probably NSFW

View: https://youtu.be/BS1SOYHNNS4

One of the more rare albums (it didn't sell very well as referenced on 'Just Another Band From LA' as 'The album with the pencil on the front')

Top Bottom