Zen and the art of commuting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
I dunno, whenever I've had 'altercations' with bad drivers I've usually had one of the following reactions:

1. A torrent of abuse
2. An apology
3. Nothing. Ignored.

I'd say I get all three pretty evenly.
Thing is, often when I've had the abuse it's when I've been freaked out and enraged, and not exactly been civil myself - this can lead to people going on the defensive or attacking back. Calmer may lead to better results.

Either way, you have had a result - they have THOUGHT ABOUT IT. They may think about it a great deal. They may have a rant about hating cyclists, but privately I think chances are they may end up modifying their behaviour - there's been more than a few threads here where after a not terribly constructive conversation with a bad driver the driver has passed them later giving them a fair bit of room.

I feel it's far worse to just let it go, so the driver has no idea what he did was wrong.

A camera will certainly help though. I can't afford one, but I'm tempted to stick an old battery to the side of my helmet and tell people it's a camera if they start giving me grief ;)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I've been known to have a word with some.

Sometimes, it's been worthwhile: the driver knows they've made a mistake and instantly apologises. Other times, they didn't realise they'd done anything untoward, but listened to the complaint, nodded and apologised.

Of course there are other occasions when the malefactor has let off a tirade of abuse before I've even opened my mouth. There's no point trying to have a discussion with such a person - but the fact that they're already on the offensive indicates their guilty state of mind.

Often, it's bullying behaviour. The one thing a bully can't stand is someone who stands up to them - and that's why it's so important that you do it.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm hoping to be much calmer once I get a camera. Up until now I have been prone to entering into very long often abusive tirades with motons which often end with "Why don't you get out of your tin box and say that?" whilst unclipping and standing up straight (often a deal breaker for the driver). I'm hoping to cut this shorter to "You're on camera, you'll be hearing from the police, you nice driver person" ;)

M

Cubist

Still wavin'
There are, in my humble opinion, very few people who will benefit from a roadside altercation.

My hypothesis is that if they are stupid enough to endanger you in the first place,then they are too stupid to listen.

If they have endangered you not because they are careless, but because they are aggressive "I own the road" types, then engaging with them will only trigger worse, more aggressive behaviour. If you are going to provoke that kind of reaction, you need to be certain that you can win any physical battles that will ensue. Engaging under these circumstances includes shouting and gesturing. If someone gives me the finger, I will ALWAYS respond with an invitation to engage in a little ballroom. I therefore do not give the finger myself unless I am prepared to get my coat off.

I try my damnedest not to engage in any sort of altercation. I record every commute on a Muvi, and take full responsibility for looking after myself on the bike. The only exception I make is to shout OIII!!! if I don't think someone is aware of my presence.

My commute isn't particularly fraught, but I think life is too short to try and educate moronic drivers, or those who by their actions have already demonstrated an inability to be told.

What's more, as I've posted before,in the heat of an altercation most people who have made a mistake nowadays refuse to take responsibility for it, so all the time you are shouting at them to tell them what they've done wrong, they are actually turning it all round in their heads in an effort to blame YOU for the errors.

Leave it, move on.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I have direct examples, many of them, where a bit of driver education has changed future behaviour. Most of this comes from my commute at the Biggin Hill end, where I give close overtakes a loud "OI" or toot on the airzound, and a pushing out to the right motion. I get very few close overtakes now, far far fewer than in the beginning when we moved here.

Not only the offending driver sees this motion, but all the other people around too, and they all have a chance to learn from the example. All the watchers cause the poor overtaker to feel some self induced peer pressure too.

Even the angry ones who make jerky point left motions by their rear view mirror don't usually come so close again.

dondare

Über Member
GregCollins said:
c'mon dondare... post the rest...

'K then:-

"Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity & disenchantment
it is perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue & loneliness.
Beyond wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees & the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labours & aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery & broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy."

dondare

Über Member
I once read that a man would rather admit to being a lousy lover than a bad driver. This is probably true.
I do not believe that there is any point at all in informing some mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging oik that he should give cyclists more room on the road when there is only room in his head for one thought at a time and that thought is going to be along the lines of: "You shouldn't be in my way".
And don't even think about explaining "hypothecation" or "primary" to them.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
thank you kindly, dondare, tis a lovely poem.

oh, and wot cubist said above. sound approach.

My approach towards escalations, used to be one of "If you wish to get physical with me then please be 100% confident of your ability to completely incapacitate me with your first blow. I promise you that you will not get a second chance to do so as I will respond with maximum predjudice to your well being."

Now, thank God, I'm a pacifist and I just ride/walk/drive away.

NigC

It's human nature to get angry when someone does you wrong. Unfortunately it's also human nature to get angry when someone is shouting at you - regardless of whether they're being an idiot or making a perfectly valid complaint.

The problem is that we often react faster than our brain can stop us, which can lead to an anger-snowball (is that a real phrase? ;) ).

Maybe a driver who's passed too close will be more considerate next time if they're given a mouthfull..... maybe they'll just ignore it and do the same..... maybe they'll get angry and give another cyclist a close pass just out of spite. Maybe if a perfectly calm "excuse me, but could you give cyclists a little more room please" will have the same affect as shouting at them. Everyone is different and will react in a different way.

I'm a very non-confontational person, but I still shake my fist and shout when passed too close. So far, nobody has reacted to it at all and I don't even know if they saw me :hugs: I guess it's partly due to the traffic being reasonably light, they don't get held up, so they just carry on. Of course, I always regret it afterwards, but by then it's too late.

I'm sure I was trying to make a point here, but somewhere since I started typing I've lost it :smile::biggrin:

jimboalee

buggi said:
how can you signal you're going straight on??? and isn't that a bit rich coming from a white van man... did he signal he was going to turn left across your path?? (pot kettle black etc).

kick his f**kin door in next time Grrrrr.

or yes, invest in a little muvi cam and then take it to the cops, or report him to his employer.

As said to me once, often the best response is sarcasm. you should have pulled up next to him and "applauded" him, then ridden off blowing him a kiss (this also has the effect of calming you down, rather than leaving you in a raging temper)

also, pull up next to numpty drivers, unclip and place your pedal against their paintwork for when they pull off.

Or.. get a personal alarm, pull the cord and lob it through their open window. 210 decibels of handgrenade ;)... in an enclosed space... they will have all day to think about what caused their temporary deafness

or, for car drivers, hang round their back door and as lights are about to change, open the door and ride off quick :hugs:

Remember what happened to the guy in Coventry. The lunatic car driver got thirteen years, but is still alive.

If you start something, make sure you can finish it.

For instance...

Roll up beside the motorist. He will wind his window down to yell abuse. Smack his jaw and quickly remove keys from ignition. Throw the keys as far as possible.
When he opens door to climb out, THEN kick his F**king door to trap his shin ( that really hurts ).
Park bike and get into a position to shoulder barge his door repeatedly while he is half out of the vehicle.

If he is still adamant to get out, his legs might not support his weight so your job is easier.

Lay into him and when he is finally motionless, take a biro out of your kitbag, push the pointed end up his nose and give it a smart smack with your strongest clenched fist.

He will never be abusive to a cyclist again...

Top Bottom