ZIPP or Roval or Mavic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
thats like asking who makes the best carbon frames

thereisnt a single answer its all down to personal choice

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Depends on the end use I suppose.

Something like Enve really has a pedigree for success if you are talking aero wheels (developed by Simon Smart), but they may not make the best climbing wheels (don't know).

Zipp are a safe choice all round I think.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Roval wheels are made by specialized, they are built at a price point, they are great value for money and feature ceramic bearings as standard, the wheels are not as good as Zipp firecrest wheels in a crosswind.
Mavic wheels are not truely Carbon, they are hybrid wheels and feature an aluminium core to help solve the problem associated with carbon in that it does not move heat well from the braking surface. The wheels are best described as conservative.
Zipps feature multiple grades of carbon fibre in their construction, they also consulted with the F1 industry to learn how they deal with the challenges of moving heat from braking surfaces and acquired the expertise and knowledge. The firecrest profile is the best in cross winds from my experience and this is why Zipps remain my wheel of choice.

The only other brands I would rate as highly as Zipp would be HED, Enve and Lightweight
If you want a good value performance wheel brand I would look at ffwd which have a great finish and quality look about them and seem to go pretty well.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Roval wheels are made by specialized, they are built at a price point, they are great value for money and feature ceramic bearings as standard, the wheels are not as good as Zipp firecrest wheels in a crosswind.
Mavic wheels are not truely Carbon, they are hybrid wheels and feature an aluminium core to help solve the problem associated with carbon in that it does not move heat well from the braking surface. The wheels are best described as conservative.
Zipps feature multiple grades of carbon fibre in their construction, they also consulted with the F1 industry to learn how they deal with the challenges of moving heat from braking surfaces and acquired the expertise and knowledge. The firecrest profile is the best in cross winds from my experience and this is why Zipps remain my wheel of choice.

The only other brands I would rate as highly as Zipp would be HED, Enve and Lightweight
If you want a good value performance wheel brand I would look at ffwd which have a great finish and quality look about them and seem to go pretty well.

I can attest to this! I ride a FFWD Disc and Trispoke on my TT bike and they are very good. Not sure if the trispoke is the fastest option though, their 80mm might be quicker, but it won't sound like a helicopter :tongue:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I can attest to this! I ride a FFWD Disc and Trispoke on my TT bike and they are very good. Not sure if the trispoke is the fastest option though, their 80mm might be quicker, but it won't sound like a helicopter :tongue:

I rode a set of the 80mm a while back and they were really nice and responsive, looked amazing, the finish was outstanding. They were not as good as the zipps in cross winds but that is not to say they are by any means bad. IMHO they are easily a match for many more expensive brands and the finish is more than you really expect for a wheel.

VamP

Banned
It all depends on your budget, but Gigantex rims are widely considered to be great value. In fact I have just placed an order for a 50mm tub wheelset - should come in around 1300g - and at £650 they are half the price of the Enve's and Zipp's.

Another consideration is usage. Mine are primarily for road racing, and replacing a £200 rim after a pothole smash is a lot less eye-watering.

...but it won't sound like a helicopter :tongue:

A total selling point!

Lee_M

Guru
just a slight correction, mavic now also make ful carbon wheels.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I rode a set of the 80mm a while back and they were really nice and responsive, looked amazing, the finish was outstanding. They were not as good as the zipps in cross winds but that is not to say they are by any means bad. IMHO they are easily a match for many more expensive brands and the finish is more than you really expect for a wheel.

Re. FFWD, I have limited experience with regards wheels, esp aero wheels, so couldn't really compare them to anything else in that league. I would say though, I have not once wished that I spent more on something else. They have very obvious, quantifiable and repeatable time gains over normal road wheels, that is all I know and I am happy with the gains (~40 seconds over 10 miles) and they sound absolutely awesome.

Lee_M

Guru
Your totally correct :thumbsup: wonder what took them so long, they don't seem to have any major new technology in them or new ideas. Also not particularly light going by the figures quoted.

apparently they have spent time ensuring they wont disintegrate under heat

as it happens I have the hybrid mavics and love them. :tongue:

Top Bottom