Zoom, how secure is it??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've just started using Zoom (with the rest of the world) for teaching classes online.

But have heard concerns about security, and a lack of 'end to end encryption' which I know some other comms platforms such as WhatsApp do have, so I'm guessing "is better to have"

I'm using the format, where you generate a link, then send that as an invite, to join a meeting, via email, to class attendees.

Should I be worried about security, for myself or others??

Is there anything more I could be doing??

Should I be using a different video conferencing app entirely?? (I've paid a month's subs to Zoom but it's not big money)

Any advice gladly appreciated, but please don't use too many baffling IT wurds in your reply - it's not a field of knowledge that is familiar to me.

But thanks in advance for any help :okay:

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I've only heard good things about it but don't have any real experience with it. We have only recently been using Microsoft Teams for video chat and sharing information to comply with GDPR. I liked it.

Drago

Legendary Member
If someone sends you an electronic communication, someone somewhere else is capable of reading it. That's the bottom line. How easily such communications are intercepted and deciphered are down to the motivation and resources of the voyeur. There are very few commercially available systems, either hardware or software, that can be cracked only by resources available to national governments.

I use Zoom, but I keep my clothes on and don't pass my bank details across it. For non sensitive general chit chat it's fine.

tom73

Guru
Simple answer it's not.
The fact that it's got a feature which if it's your meeting will tell you if any else go's and looks at anything during it.
Say it all If it let's you track them it defo can track you.
It's on the Nato banned list for conducting online meetings.
Governments using it for sensitive meetings is alarming.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I think if you are teaching adults, don't worry about it.

If minors; don't ask me, find an expert!

I'm only teaching adults.

And only adults that I already know.

I've heard anecdotal reports that sometimes you'll get pictures of nekkid guys flash up on the screen. :blink:

No such thrills for me, as of yet.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'm only teaching adults.

And only adults that I already know.

I've heard anecdotal reports that sometimes you'll get pictures of nekkid guys flash up on the screen. :blink:

No such thrills for me, as of yet.

I think @Drago has stopped taking his clothes off, so you should be fine.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
We're currently working from home and been specifically instructed not to use it while connected to any company systems due to security concerns.

Do you happen to know what concerns these might be??

What we are doing in class is not sensitive datawise.

I'm more bothered if someone's (or my) email account is more easily corrupted.

I paid for the subs through what I assume is normal secure banking channels.

No such sensitive data is transmitted during class.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Do you happen to know what concerns these might be??

What we are doing in class is not sensitive datawise.

I'm more bothered if someone's (or my) email account is more easily corrupted.

I paid for the subs through what I assume is normal secure banking channels.

No such sensitive data is transmitted during class.
I am a member of an NHS Research Ethics Committee (REC) - we held this month's meeting via Zoom. The Chair had a licence for Zoom Professional. We discussed sensitive issues around five research projects and Zoom's use was sanctioned by the Health Research Authority which oversees the RECs. There were no concerns about leaks, privacy, data loss or naked men. I think you'll be fine.

contadino

Veteran
I run zoom in it's own virtual machine. Same with Microsoft teams, Skype, Facebook, etc.

It's the only way to ensure I can control whether these insecure apps can't hijack my webcam, microphone, or other contents of my drives.

Top Bottom