Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Ha ha yeah right! No it’s the Alpe for us hardcore cyclechatters! 😂😇
Damn :laugh:

BurningLegs

Veteran
I did a gel (20g carbs) as I got on the turbo, and a bottle with 50g of carbs in during the ride. I cracked 3 hairpins out and haemorrhaged time but it didn’t feel like a bonk, just lack of fitness.

Perhaps I should do this stage again on one of the catch-up days at the end to see if there’s any improvement. 🤔

How much carbs do folks here take on during a turbo session (if any)? I only bother for very challenging efforts, and go at about 30-50 grams per hour which seems to be pretty low but I struggle to take on more fluid. It’s easier on the road because there are natural pauses to drink e.g when coasting or waiting at lights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I rarely eat anything for upto 1hr 15 high intensity. Just water. But I know things can change rapidly from around 1hr30. I prefer to load beforehand with slow release porridge.

Ill ride upto 2.5 hours with just water at Z2 pace

alex_cycles

Veteran
How much carbs do folks here take on during a turbo session (if any)? I only bother for very challenging efforts, and go at about 30-50 grams per hour which seems to be pretty low but I struggle to take on more fluid. It’s easier on the road because there are natural pauses to drink e.g when coasting or waiting at lights.

On today's Alpe I did most of a 600ml bidon of 50% orange juice in water with a pinch of salt. Swig every once in a while gives a little bit of easily digestible sugar in a refreshing drink. Very easy and cheap to make too.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I did a gel (20g carbs) as I got on the turbo, and a bottle with 50g of carbs in during the ride. I cracked 3 hairpins out and haemorrhaged time but it didn’t feel like a bonk, just lack of fitness.

Perhaps I should do this stage again on one of the catch-up days at the end to see if there’s any improvement. 🤔

Nowt! I Just take A Couple of bottles mixed up with generous dose of full fat ribena. If it is going to be a long ride (over 2 hrs and pretty rare for me) I may take a few wine gums or a cereal bar but invariably end up scoffing the lot in the first 20 mins just because they are there lol. I really think you only need supplementary nutrients if it is going to be long like 2.5hrs plus and hard. But wtf do I know that’s probably why I am shlt in performance terms :laugh: I have always gone on the assumption that my liver holds enough glycogen for at least 2 hours and have done far longer with nothing on a ride except drinks (squash maybe with a pinch of salt). Only ever proper bonked once and that was after a low calorie day the day before and a fastish hilly 80 mile ride. Burnt the final match sprinting into a RAB to catch the lights and with still 5 miles left to go and the engine just switched into safe mode… horrible.

Last edited:

Johnsop99

Veteran
Have just done Stage 2 TdZ. Firstly thanks to all of you who gave me ride ons,very encouraging half way up the Alpe! Secondly, I had a mechanical, half way between hairpins 15 & 14 my QR worked loose and the bike tried to tip me off sideways. Lost about 20 seconds and a shed load of places. Thirdly the people behind Zwift have a great sense of humour. Before the stage I checked out zwiftinsider for the current best climbing set up and found that there were some Roval wheels available that are better than the lightweight wheels that I had not got in 9 climbs of the alpe so I purchased them and fitted them to the Cannondale Evo. Guess what? the wheel spin at the top gave me the lightweight wheels!
I nearly forgot @IrishAl according to ZP I finished 217th in a time of 1: 33:48.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum

My guess is it’s lack of fitness, compounded by bad pacing. I don’t mean that as criticism. I pace myself on the memory of my best form so if I’m not in good form then it’s sometimes harder to adjust down to the present reality right? So it’s easy to pop that way.

Maybe you can adjust you’re fuelling too but honestly I’d avoid adjusting it to what other people here do, and work out what works for you. For what it’s worth if I’d of taken a gel at the start I’d prob take one halfway or two thirds in as well.

What your PB up the alpe and what did you get today? I think you’re a really great climber you know my opinion on that. But that really top form will come back if you can put the consistency in. Not that that’s easy of course… I’m finding bike time very hard to find so I know it’s not easy…

You’ll for sure be stronger at the end of this series 👍

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I think one of the most underestimated things about alp stages, for me at least, is the run up to the hill. In some ways it’s harder to call the pace of that section than the hill itself. If you go too hard from the start line then you’re blowing a bit at the bottom climb. And the first few corners are the steepest I think so it’s a bit of a double whammy!

Top Bottom