Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuhaL

Guru
I just finished ride on Road to Ruins and i noticed differences between gravel vs. tarmac. In a jungle 3-4% descent speed was clearly slower on a gravel than on a tarmac. In a jungle my speed wasn't much more than 34 and when i came out from the jungle my speed raise up over 40km/h on a tarmac. Power output was comparable.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Regarding carbon wheels, buy cheap, virtually same aero benefit as £2000 wheelset. If its all about bling then get plain and some Zippy transfers

Firstly this bit. You can argue that all wheels of similar depth and shape offer similar aero gain. But aero is only one factor. And quite honestly for most of us, most of the time, it’s not even that relevant. But build quality, spokes, spoke layup, weight of rim, weight of hub, max rider weight, flex, road feel And of course braking track if he decides to go rim brake. This is just to name a few things that vary massively from one wheel to the next. The way wheels ride varies massively from one wheel to the next. So it’s not just about bling. It’s prob better to compare wheels you have a personal experience of when making recommendations because it’s a bit of a mine field.
Which £2000 wheels were you referring to?

They are usually formula hubs, not the best, but its really down to bearings, setup and adjustment. Its really down to aesthetics..

Again hubs are more than just the bearings they hold. I’ve had some real stinkers!

I don’t want to sound like a know it all because you could fit what I don’t know into the Grand Canyon! But I do have a lot of wheelssets to compare.

Last edited:

<Tommy>

I have read a suggestion that ALL road wheelsets are equally affected by the dirt/gravel, and situations where people have been zooming past is where for some reason they haven't yet updated the version of Zwift they're using. If this is the case, it would be good (although does still beg the question of what the point is?) as we could at least continue racing on courses with gravel sections (most if not all the suitable Watopia ones) knowing it's still a level playing field. Need to wait and see for confirmation though...

Is there a way of knowing which version I’m on?

bridgy

Legendary Member
Is there a way of knowing which version I’m on?
When you start up Zwift, while it's logging you on and there's that graphic of a guy puffing away on a bike, it says the version on the bottom right of the guy-on-a-bike graphic. New/current version is 1.04.0555 so if that's what you see, you're on the latest update

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Which £2000 wheels were you referring to

Any of the well known brands Enve, Zipp etc

The difference between a cheap aero wheel and the above is minimal, some from this site mentioning literally just a few seconds over 25 miles.
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/...ensive_vs_cheaper_carbon_wheelset_P4415113-2/

You could offset any loss of performance with a cheap aero by going for 10 or 20 mm deeper. Its mainly down to size of the aerofoil which gives the greater benefits. Profile have advantages over cross winds, but I found between my £199 eBay rims were only slightly better than Yoeleo U shaped rims.

Ive ruined two sets of aero wheels too hitting potholes and felt more aggrieved at destroying quite expensive wheels for little use.

I know most would like to have the blingy wheels, but for the vast majority of us, cheaper would offer 99% of what expensive does

Have a watch on Hambini analysis of Zipp dimples
View: https://youtu.be/H8TZwJGrvFY

Its mostly marketing to sell pricey items. I have an interest in a major carbon fibre manufacturing company and are aware of the processes in deciding types of fibre, resins and how they go onto construct the finished product. Its a simple process potrayed as a black art

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Any of the well known brands Enve, Zipp etc

The difference between a cheap aero wheel and the above is minimal, some from this site mentioning literally just a few seconds over 25 miles.
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/...ensive_vs_cheaper_carbon_wheelset_P4415113-2/

You could offset any loss of performance with a cheap aero by going for 10 or 20 mm deeper. Its mainly down to size of the aerofoil which gives the greater benefits. Profile have advantages over cross winds, but I found between my £199 eBay rims were only slightly better than Yoeleo U shaped rims.

Ive ruined two sets of aero wheels too hitting potholes and felt more aggrieved at destroying quite expensive wheels for little use.

I know most would like to have the blingy wheels, but for the vast majority of us, cheaper would offer 99% of what expensive does

Have a watch on Hambini analysis of Zipp dimples
View: https://youtu.be/H8TZwJGrvFY

Its mostly marketing to sell pricey items. I have an interest in a major carbon fibre manufacturing company and are aware of the processes in deciding types of fibre, resins and how they go onto construct the finished product. Its a simple process potrayed as a black art

Andy I just deleted a very long winded post to replace it with a much shorter one. I am familiar with hambinis test. For what it’s worth it has been challenged as flawed and he’s acknowledged that but thats not the point.

You’re ignoring all my other points and hanging on to the margins of aerodynamics. Which as I’ve already said is only one factor in choosing a set of wheels. That’s up to you I guess. But it is what it is....

I’ll stick to talking about the things I have personal experience of rather than just what I’ve read and heard.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Fair do's Tommy, I think we were at cross purposes. If I was offered a set of Zipps wheels for the right price I too would buy. Its what level someone is willing to part cash with

<Tommy>

Fair do's Tommy, I think we were at cross purposes. If I was offered a set of Zipps wheels for the right price I too would buy. Its what level someone is willing to part cash with

I think so too mate.

I think my last post sounded a bit arsey so sorry about that mate. But I think its better to take things on their own merits and judge for yourself. There’s a lot of BS around bike gear. But there’s also a lot of good quality kit and it’s not all a scam!

(I’m getting a bit of sinking feeling at the moment the Tacx bike might not fall into the good quality kit category...)

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I’m getting a bit of sinking feeling at the moment the Tacx bike might not fall into the good quality kit category..

?? Its basically a Neo2 in a frame.

JuhaL

Guru
Seems that Zwift haven't provided an iPhone app update yet, so those riders zooming around the Jungle may be those - still getting the benefit of pre-update speeds ..... I'm tempted to buy an iPhone just so I can win a few races :biggrin:
And even if there is update you don’t need to install it if you don’t like. Update just stays there waiting to get installed. Till then enjoy faster speed ;)

<Tommy>

?? Its basically a Neo2 in a frame.

I know right... Some of the stuff can probably be put down to teething problems. But Tacx have gone down in my estimation over the last few months because of their complete lack of transparency.
There’s a lot of people on dcrainmaker review comments section with negative reports. Quite a lot of units have mechanical failings. One worrying report is that taller people are suffering because of the seat post design. Time will tell... mine is being delivered on Friday so I should know soon enough if I got a duff one! 🤞

<Tommy>

In theory you'd assume so ... but then, if this is the case, why has it taken so long to get it launched? There must be more to it than meets the eye?

it’s not technically neo inners. It’s neo 2T. Which is having its own glitches. It’s also got new technology such as the belt to replace the bike chain, and the design of the bikes itself and how functional that is.

I’m in a much better spot than I was when I bought the atom because I’ve got a excellent back up in the neo. So if it does go sour I won’t miss any of the winter training. And I’m also just pointing out the negatives. There’s also a chance I don’t suffer any of the above mentioned issues!

BurningLegs

Veteran
I think so too mate.

I think my last post sounded a bit arsey so sorry about that mate.

This is definitely my favourite thread on this forum. Elsewhere differences of opinion that are frankly rather trivial and have no meaningful impact on anyone’s lives can become disappointingly personal and aggressive, but this thread always keeps the conversation friendly and differences of opinion civil.

Chapeau! :cheers:

Top Bottom