Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Messed up my TTT Last night by joining too late šŸ˜¬ So rode the Sl7 short hilly race on Richmond. I thought I had stepped into a race with steering and had inadvertently activated steering on NEO bike because for the 1st kilometre Zwift has me riding to the right of the group. Sadly I was wrong and eventually they merged with me. 7th overall, but 5 of the other 6 in front weighed 4-8 kiloā€™s less and had higher ftp so thatā€™s my excuse šŸ˜.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
With the steering feature it strikes me that it could also be really useful for teammates giving each other lead-outs for a sprint - something that can be pretty tricky to get right on Zwift without steering

thatā€™s what Iā€™m looking forward too most. Not just in the sprints but taking turns too. The guy at the front can just peel off and the others go through.

Itā€™s also putting wheel suckers on notice

come on Tacx, sort it out!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
With the steering feature it strikes me that it could also be really useful for teammates giving each other lead-outs for a sprint - something that can be pretty tricky to get right on Zwift without steering
I can see this being really effective - I think it could work that the person doing the lead out can pull but when he wants to drop he can move to the far left and the person in their draft won't get caught in their sticky or have to push excess watts to get past them.

To pick up some of @steverob 's points, the steerer I don't think is a massive advantage when most of the riders are non-steerer. I found yesterday that is was easy to mess up the draft and steer myself out of the draft of the person I was following.

It's definitely an advantage on corners - noticed yesterday I could push 2.4 w/kg on a tight right corner and the guy following at 2.7 who was catching me lost a bit to me, only to then start to pull back again once we hit the straights. In a race with multiple steerers I can see this being a big advantage.

I did have an issue when I was overtaking a rider and I chose the left lane. (time 8:40+ on my recording) As I was passing the road went to the right so I tried to steer to the right but at the same time another rider was coming past (through!) the rider I was passing. As this other rider was now in the lane I wanted to move across I was blocked in the outside lane thus taking a wider corner. Once the guy had gone past then I could cut straight to the right lane. I think this shows knowing the courses, and being mindful on those coming through is quite key .... also, you can block 'steerers' so tactics again could play a big part in races.

If this takes off it could make racing interesting ^_^

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
Saw my first "steerer" last night on Watopia. Was interesting to watch, as while I'd seen GPLama's videos of what it looked like if you were the person with the steering, I did wonder if non-steerers would see the same thing - after all, we've been told historically that what you see with regards to road position can vary massively from what is on someone else's screen.

Was going up the twisty 1% slope from the underwater tunnel to the Italian Village and someone was catching me but doing about the same watts, so as I was taking it easy I thought I'd accelerate a little and grab his back wheel, then sit in. Unfortunately I couldn't as he was on the very left hand side of the lane while I was stuck in the middle of the road. As we approached the next bend, his avatar then flung itself over to the opposite side of the road to take the inside line and I realised what I was up against!

What will be interesting is watching when multiple steerers meet each other (like in the FutureWorks event mentioned above). All the videos I've seen so far have just been one person steering and dodging around normal avatars - what happens when 2, 3 or 50 steerers all meet each other? Will they constantly be bouncing off each other? What happens if you're in a pack and have two steerers to your left and right and want to get out/make an attack - do you have to drop back, then steer left/right to get round them before going forward?

It strikes me that it's pretty cool if you have the steerer device but I can see it being really annoying racing with steerers if you don't have a steerer yourself.

It would annoy me having riders veering from one side of the road to the other bouncing off me. I might even send them a strongly worded private message on Zwift Companion! :laugh:

In all fairness when it rolls out and it starts appearing in 'normal' races like DBR etc I'll get one. For now though I'll not and just get annoyed at those bouncing into me :laugh:

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
To pick up some of @steverob 's points, the steerer I don't think is a massive advantage when most of the riders are non-steerer
:rofl: being able to steer around a sticky rider , being able to cause your own sticky draft , being able to choose racing line, being able to make sure no one can draft and to being able to cut corners sounds like a massive advantage to me ^_^
how much you selling it for now its second hand and not worth having ^_^ ?

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
It strikes me that it's pretty cool if you have the steerer device but I can see it being really annoying racing with steerers if you don't have a steerer yourself.

It would really annoy me having riders veering from onesie of the road to the other bouncing off me. I might even send them a strongly worded private message on Zwift Companion! :laugh:

In all fairness when it rolls out and it starts appearing in 'normal' races like DBR etc I'll get one. For now though I'll not and just get annoyed at those bouncing into me :laugh:

Yeah Iā€™ve got no interest in joining a race with it enabled until I have it myself. Youā€™d have to be mental. But I really like the look of it so hopefully it takes off.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
:rofl: being able to steer around a sticky rider , being able to cause your own sticky draft , being able to choose racing line, being able to make sure no one can draft and to being able to cut corners sounds like a massive advantage to me ^_^
how much you selling it for now its second hand and not worth having ^_^ ?
:whistle:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Yeah Iā€™ve got no interest in joining a race with it enabled until I have it myself. Youā€™d have to be mental. But I really like the look of it so hopefully it takes off.
These are showing out of stock on Zwift but available at Ā£74.99 at Rutland cycles HERE. Am I looking at the same thing? Iā€™m very tempted to hit the button.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Race invites sent :hyper:
Everyone I hope should have the meet up invite. In case Iā€™ve inadvertently missed anyone let me know.

šŸ“† Wednesday 19th August @ 1840h Uk time. Hopefully that can work for most people. Iā€™ve pushed back the start time by 10 minutes for a bit of extra commuting time(or warm up time for those taking it too seriously :smooch:)
šŸ Champs Elysee x 5 laps. Total distance is 36.2km including the lead in.

JLaw

Veteran
Knowing I had family commitments Thu evening, I did my Thu race earlier than usual. All that really means is that I'm climbing up the cobbles and coasting through the rollers rather than climbing the rollers and coasting down the cobbles as the earlier race goes in the opposite direction.

If you recall I'd been attacking on the cobbles in the D races, but just trying to hold on since moving back into C and Thursday was no different. One of the things I've found is that I tend to accelerate too hard through the middle of the cobbles, pass everyone, then let off the gas and get passed and feel like I'm pushing excessively hard to keep contact immediately after the cobbles. So I made a conscious effort to be a bit smoother with the power and not surge through the pack. Goal was to stay in the draft, but move to a position near the front of the pack.

That seemed to help as I kept contact with the lead group a bit more easily as we left the cobbles. We kept a solid, but not brutal pace and I was able to hang on even during the slight surge on the penultimate lap. A few riders went off the front on the last lap, but I was pretty sure they were going to DQ, not that I had any real hope of chasing them down. That left us with ~10 in the main group and the pace slowed down ever so slightly allowing me to hang on the back.

I was in a similar position earlier in the week (Mon or Tue), but lost the group a half mile out from the finish. But not today. I was able to hang on and prepare for the final few hundred meters. For me, there isn't enough road after the final turn when the finish banner first comes into view to bring the power up and catch anyone -- I hoped that at least some of the pack weren't keenly aware of the finish dynamics. As we came through the next-to-last turn I brought the power up from the back of the pack, I'd guess that was about 350M out. As we came through the last turn I was finally moving through the pack and out into the lead with one other rider challenging hard. Having that other rider right next to me kept me going the last little bit and I beat him by ~.05 seconds for my first win since returning to C. Just a couple seconds off a course PB as well. All in all, a good short race.

The only depressing thing is the realization of how far I still have to go. The time/distance on these crit city races is similar to the ITTs I was racing once a week in 2018. In 2018 I was putting out 280-290W for those 10mile ITTs, now I'm in the 230 range. Still a long way to go...

Top Bottom