Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
What did you do to the cowling and why?

Hi Jeff. My derailleur was touching the cowling and sometimes would not run smoothly on the large gear on the cassette. So I trimmed away a portion just before one of the mounts. I cleared the derailleur perfectly. I'll take pictures if you have issues with the derailleur touching or catching the cowling. Kickr V2 redesigned the cowling to make it flush with the belt drive pulley.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/wattbike-atom-in-depth-review.html

Ok my ten pence worth... a little long but maybe interesting for some.

He draws similar conclusions to the ones I have found in my relatively limited experiences.

In short, the Atom isn’t really ready for zwift unfortunately... Definitely not for racing type efforts I.e quick, sometimes multiple shifting. I don’t agree with DCrainmaker in that the shifter button does make a clear clicking action (He describes it as spongy and hard to discern), but the shifting is delayed by a second or two. And this is compounded by the fact there is no gear ratio indicator on th zwift screen as I mentioned earlier.

On zwift earlier I found myself spinning out widely at times. From putting out 300/350w and going at 90/100 rpm. I would suddenly find myself spinning out, hitting 140/150 rpm struggling frantically to make up watts trying to find the correct gear. It’s hard to judge and very easy to overcompensate, so a few seconds later you’ll find yourself grinding like mad as you’ve unfortunately hit an incline just as you realise you’re now in a very small gear. Again there’s no indicator to allow you to judge this properly.

There are positives. The unit itself is excellent. That’s my opinion and his. Very well built. Out of the saddle efforts feel good as the unit is rock solid and planted to the ground. I’m loving the bars and iPad holder. I’m very comfortable in my position and the fit is very good. It’s also much much quieter than the BKOOL pro. My missus can’t hear it from the ground floor at all. This is because as well as being quieter it also doesn’t send out the same vibration levels that used to really reverberate through the wooden struts of our old Victorian house. This is a massive plus for me as it means I am now permanently set up in my own dedicated space without the worry and stress of disturbing my family.

I’m very hopeful the zwift issues can be solved as I think both parties must be very motivated to solve the issues. Zwift must know that atom users will soon make up a large number of their potential users. And Wattbike must know any potential customer will expect to be able to use what is the most popular training platform. I’m going to persevere. It’s ticking too many boxes for me to abandon ship. If they don’t iron the wrinkles then I’d probably consider selling and buying a future equivilant such as whatever The competition bring out in s year or so time.

For now it probably means no zwift for me I think. Maybe traineroad. BigringVR. and possibly even BKOOL for my racing fix. Time will tell.

Breedon

Legendary Member

He draws similar conclusions to the ones I have found in my relatively limited experiences.

In short, the Atom isn’t really ready for zwift unfortunately... Definitely not for racing type efforts I.e quick, sometimes multiple shifting. I don’t agree with DCrainmaker in that the shifter button does make a clear clicking action (He describes it as spongy and hard to discern), but the shifting is delayed by a second or two. And this is compounded by the fact there is no gear ratio indicator on th zwift screen as I mentioned earlier.

On zwift earlier I found myself spinning out widely at times. From putting out 300/350w and going at 90/100 rpm. I would suddenly find myself spinning out, hitting 140/150 rpm struggling frantically to make up watts trying to find the correct gear. It’s hard to judge and very easy to overcompensate, so a few seconds later you’ll find yourself grinding like mad as you’ve unfortunately hit an incline just as you realise you’re now in a very small gear. Again there’s no indicator to allow you to judge this properly.

There are positives. The unit itself is excellent. That’s my opinion and his. Very well built. Out of the saddle efforts feel good as the unit is rock solid and planted to the ground. I’m loving the bars and iPad holder. I’m very comfortable in my position and the fit is very good. It’s also much much quieter than the BKOOL pro. My missus can’t hear it from the ground floor at all. This is because as well as being quieter it also doesn’t send out the same vibration levels that used to really reverberate through the wooden struts of our old Victorian house. This is a massive plus for me as it means I am now permanently set up in my own dedicated space without the worry and stress of disturbing my family.

I’m very hopeful the zwift issues can be solved as I think both parties must be very motivated to solve the issues. Zwift must know that atom users will soon make up a large number of their potential users. And Wattbike must know any potential customer will expect to be able to use what is the most popular training platform. I’m going to persevere. It’s ticking too many boxes for me to abandon ship. If they don’t iron the wrinkles then I’d probably consider selling and buying a future equivilant such as whatever The competition bring out in s year or so time.

For now it probably means no zwift for me I think. Maybe traineroad. BigringVR. and possibly even BKOOL for my racing fix. Time will tell.
Good write up tom give it a go on bkool and the other apps out there and see what you think and let us know how you get on with it, hopefully zwift will sort out some bugs so you can use it.

bridgy

Legendary Member

That's a shame - I was hoping to see you in some Zwift races soon!

Why do you think the gear shifting issue will be better in other software like bkool etc? Sounds more like a hardware issue than something caused by Zwift? (obviously worth a try though)

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)

Does the Atom work with Bkool?

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Good write up tom give it a go on bkool and the other apps out there and see what you think and let us know how you get on with it, hopefully zwift will sort out some bugs so you can use it.

That's a shame - I was hoping to see you in some Zwift races soon!

Why do you think the gear shifting issue will be better in other software like bkool etc? Sounds more like a hardware issue than something caused by Zwift? (obviously worth a try though)

Does the Atom work with Bkool?

When I said I may race on BKOOL I meant on the BKOOL pro to be honest. I haven’t tried the atom on BKOOL (maybe I’ll have a spin tomorrow). But there’s nothing to suggest it technically won’t work, I’m sure it will.

Bridgy I don’t think it will be better on BKOOL. In fact I’m sure it’ll be worse. Because not only will you have the same problems as zwift, you will also have the problem that no trainer is equal on BKOOL.

The problem isn’t caused by these platforms directly. But caused by the way the atom, and future exercise bikes need to communicate with them. And it’s in their best interest to help create a solution. This is something both zwift and Wattbike have told dcrainmaker they’re working towards and are confident of resolving so fingers crossed.

One of the big positives that came out of dcrainmakers review is that the power readings are excellent. And the feel / ride quality is very decent to high. So on platforms such as trainerroad or bigringVR, where the changes in gradient and resistance aren’t so varied and spontaneous, it performs excellently. It’s the multiple, up and down, quick fire shifts that need improving.

I’d love to race on zwift ASAP! But in the meantime I’m also happy to be able to put in some structured training. I’m hopeful I can do both st some point soon!

Edit to add: one advantage BKOOL has with regard the atom is the earlier warning of gradient changes. Giving you more chance to preempt the delay in atom shifting. But really I don’t think you should accept that it comes down to this.

Last edited:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
When I said I may race on BKOOL I meant on the BKOOL pro to be honest. I haven’t tried the atom on BKOOL (maybe I’ll have a spin tomorrow). But there’s nothing to suggest it technically won’t work, I’m sure it will.

Bridgy I don’t think it will be better on BKOOL. In fact I’m sure it’ll be worse. Because not only will you have the same problems as zwift, you will also have the problem that no trainer is equal on BKOOL.

The problem isn’t caused by these platforms directly. But caused by the way the atom, and future exercise bikes need to communicate with them. And it’s in their best interest to help create a solution. This is something both zwift and Wattbike have told dcrainmaker they’re working towards and are confident of resolving so fingers crossed.

One of the big positives that came out of dcrainmakers review is that the power readings are excellent. And the feel / ride quality is very decent to high. So on platforms such as trainerroad or bigringVR, where the changes in gradient and resistance aren’t so varied and spontaneous, it performs excellently. It’s the multiple, up and down, quick fire shifts that need improving.

I’d love to race on zwift ASAP! But in the meantime I’m also happy to be able to put in some structured training. I’m hopeful I can do both st some point soon!
Ok, makes sense.

Get the Pro out for races on either Bkool or Zwift. A bit of teamwork on Zwift between you and @bridgy could see you both doing really well :okay:

bridgy

Legendary Member

Edit to add: one advantage BKOOL has with regard the atom is the earlier warning of gradient changes. Giving you more chance to preempt the delay in atom shifting. But really I don’t think you should accept that it comes down to this.
Ah I see, I misunderstood what you meant.

P.S. Trainers aren't equal on Zwift either :whistle:

JLaw

Veteran
So I did manage to join the KISS EUR today. I haven't raced much in the last month and it really showed.

I hung with the lead pack until the short little climbs at the end of the second lap, then started cramping. I eased off and joined a group of 3 for most of lap #3. By the time we hit lap #4 I'd lost the group, totally wasted and just trying to turn the pedals over to complete the race. That's when Rob & Breedon chimed in... Kind of embarrassing to get a ride on as I was just pushing 130W and seriously considering dropping.

The degree of light headedness, slight nausea and the length of time they lasted after wrapping up was quite concerning -- particularly given how I was just turning the pedals over the last lap.

I'm still coughing up a fair amount of gunk. So I'm clearly not 100% yet.

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
So I did manage to join the KISS EUR today. I haven't raced much in the last month and it really showed.

I hung with the lead pack until the short little climbs at the end of the second lap, then started cramping. I eased off and joined a group of 3 for most of lap #3. By the time we hit lap #4 I'd lost the group, totally wasted and just trying to turn the pedals over to complete the race. That's when Rob & Breedon chimed in... Kind of embarrassing to get a ride on as I was just pushing 130W and seriously considering dropping.

The degree of light headedness, slight nausea and the length of time they lasted after wrapping up was quite concerning -- particularly given how I was just turning the pedals over the last lap.

I'm still coughing up a fair amount of gunk. So I'm clearly not 100% yet.

I thought about going on Zwift last night even though feeling a bit rough
Gave up after 13 mile
Felt so sick and the sweat was just oozing
This morning I have officially got the worse cold ever in human history and just came down to check here before going back to bed
Tommy - I hear a lot of people race Zwift in erg mode - would that be a work around ? Not pretending to understand anything techy but I do know I did that workout the other day and there was minimum gear changing - if not erg some reduce settings right down
Good write up though

bobinski

Legendary Member

Tommy, don’t forget that in Zwift as you get used to the courses you get to know and anticipate the need for gear changes. Also, you can reduce the number of gear changes you need to make by reducing trainer difficulty. Watts are watts so you will not be advantaged or disadvantaged by doing so. I dropped Resistance to 50% for a tempo ride, 2 laps of Watopia 8, last night and was on the big ring the whole way, even on KOM’s and probably changed gears 20 times over 1 and a half hours and only then to ensure I was spinning not grinding. Remember most racers run at 50% or less.

Top Bottom