Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Yeah, that’s my way of looking at it - it’s about a fifth of what some people pay for a coffee every day!

How about a tiered pricing then? Those who want to pay 30, 50 or £100 per month can have that option, still cheaper than coffee at the VIP lounge at a Formula 1 race… Just a thought…

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Real world is free. Just saying.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
For hours used it's still worth it but if indievelo or others get more popular at a lower price point (is it still free?) then...

Yes IndieVelo is still free for PC / laptop users. Possibly also free for iPhone/ipad users.

Indievelo recently released a version which enables use on Apple TV for which you have to be a member of the ‘founders club’ which is a $12 monthly sub. Founders club members apparently lock in future discounts when they go commercial. Full details below ⬇️

I’ll give this a go in the autumn and see if it’s immersive enough - indievelo I found perfect for workouts but it did seem to need higher spec laptop than I currently own to run glitch free so perhaps the ios route is the way to go. I haven’t tried group rides / races on it.

I cancelled zwift a couple of weeks ago. Could’ve easily forgot about it but with the hype yesterday on social media it would’ve been hard to miss and I’d definitely cancelled for the zummer. I’ll most likely be back in the autumn as it’s worth it for when the weather is rotten and out into perspective compared to everything Else i indulge in (that doesn’t include OnlyFans unlike some others on here 😂)

AppleTV. indieVelo now fully supports riding on AppleTV using AirPlay / Mirroring from an iOS device (iPhone / iPad). This also has the advantage of giving you a mobile touch screen device to fully control all aspects of your ride, chat etc, as well as full bluetooth connectivity to multiple devices, rather than needing to use the more limited ATV remote.

Rollout of this feature is currently limited to members of the indieVelo Founders Club. Click here to join: https://indievelo.com/checkouts/indievelo-founder

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru

It is and it isn't. There are those disregarded extras, clothing/equipment for one, big expense if riding all year round. On decent jacket will cost a whole years membership. Cafe stops another, easily spend £5-10 every ride out. Maintenance is a big expense with tyres, tubes, chains, cassettes, lubricants.

I do enjoy the outdoor, rarely do it now, I do it for other reasons than keeping fit.

Zwift for me does 99% of my enjoyment of riding, racing, training and long social rides

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **

Technically yes, but not if you want to take part in organised group rides, buy insurance, if you want to race you need a race licence, pay an entry fee, buy kit/clothes (😳😜). I’d easily rack up £200 a year on a basic leisure rider licence (for the 3rd party insurance), entry into some sportives, etc.

Also crashing outside can be expensive and painful whereas the worst I’ve had on zwift is a dropped chain or a flat front wheel 😁

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
(Cross-posted with Andy and Al - great minds thinking alike!)

Nope. Not by the time you factor in tyre wear, increased drivetrain wear, puncture repairs, resolution of mechanical issues... more washing... (potential) accident damage... and TIME.

Since I don't have a power meter on my road-going bikes, I can get a much better-focused training session in the shed than on the road.

Of course, nothing can beat being out in the real world for adventure, but, with young family, the extent of my outdoor adventures may stretch to 2-3 hours these days, which (in spite of how lovely the local lanes are) doesn't match up with the all-day (and night) epic rides I did in my twenties...

Zwift and other virtual platforms are great because I can climb on the bike within two minutes of getting out of bed, do a workout or a race, and KNOW that I'll be home in time for breakfast. No danger of a puncture, an unexpectedly tough hill or an encounter with 'The Wall' to waylay me. That convenience is worth a lot to me, because it allows me to fit riding in around work and family life.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Just checked my yearly Zwift subscription, renews in December.

States I will pay £129.99 (£10.83/month) at that point.

That is in my opinion an absolute bargain for 24/7 access to indoor riding

I've screenshotted, just in case they try and sneak a price increase on me. :laugh:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Just checked my yearly Zwift subscription, renews in December.

States I will pay £129.99 (£10.83/month) at that point.

That is in my opinion an absolute bargain for 24/7 access to indoor riding

I've screenshotted, just in case they try and sneak a price increase on me. :laugh:

That's the price as was. The new yearly membership price us £179.99, an increase of £50

I took out an annual membership in January at £129, but I won't be renewing next year if the price is £179. There are plenty other options out there that offer similar at a much lower cost.

I get that people say that Zwift are adding more, but most of what they 'add' is already there. New roads yes, but they all look alike to me. Very dull. Most of the time I can't tell if I'm in France, Watopia or the Neokyo countryside.

I do like the climb portal. Of all the new additions That's the one I like the most.

No interest in the new HUD. I don't do the tours Drops don't interest me. I don't do training plans. So I'm thinking Fulgaz or Bkool may be better options when Zwift subs run out. I'll be trying IndieVelo fir free too, to see how that rides.

I also need to get out more! I need vitamin D 🤣

fossyant

There is more in life than sitting inside on a Turbo. Yes I've used Zwift and had a sub for a few years after breaking my spine, but the real world and the interaction with the environment rules, even close calls with loose gravel, cars, ducks, moving trees. That increase is nuts though. But hey ho.

I find turbos, including interactive stuff, mind numbing. Life is too short not to experience the outside.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
There is more in life than sitting inside on a Turbo. Yes I've used Zwift and had a sub for a few years after breaking my spine, but the real world and the interaction with the environment rules, even close calls with loose gravel, cars, ducks, moving trees. That increase is nuts though. But hey ho.

I find turbos, including interactive stuff, mind numbing. Life is too short not to experience the outside.

The UK weather over the year isn't as attractive to likes of warmer all year round mild weather, southern Spain, Italy and the Canaries.(many others worldwide)

fossyant

The UK weather over the year isn't as attractive to likes of warmer all year round mild weather, southern Spain, Italy and the Canaries.(many others worldwide)

I live in Manchester, it's famously wet. I can only tolerate indoor trainers when injured.

You don't get the experience. Take for example, a couple of years ago we rode Penmachno. It was wet. The rivers and streams were something too see, ride through and occasionally lose the bike under it. Or like this weekend, great weather but a 130 mile, 10,000 feet ride, a real suffer fest but experiencing some of the best views in Greater Manchester.

I accept we are all different, but a bike is made for riding in the real world. Not much point. Turbos for recovery.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned MyWhoosh. Apart from the naff name, it looks like the rising star to me. Anyone tried it?

Yes, 700km+ so far. Less users, so find the (race) series that runs regularly each week. But don't expect more than 20-50 riders in each race (might change now!). Check https://results.mywhoosh.com and find the series with many participants.
No categorization check in normal (race) events, so you will be racing a mix of "Zwift" A-D riders. Some races have at set limit (in their title), but AFAIK there is nothing stopping you from joining a lower cat.
If you want proper racing with little chance of cheaters, do the Sunday Race Club races with real prize money to be won... Just be aware that you have to supply weigh-in videos and dual recording for each event!

Up until recently the main barrier for MyWhoosh was the somewhat steep PC requirements. But with the release of the "MyWhoosh Go" version recently, even those who uses old PCs (or office laptops) will get an OK experience.
Apple TV version is also released (or close to final release?). The whining has stopped on the MyWhoosh pages, so I guess the ATV-people is happy now? Amazing how loud/annoying they can be about when a free platform will support THEIR low-end device, instead of themselves buying a device that can handle that platform (and all others too)...

The draft on MyWhoosh is different (less), so the exagerated speed of Zwift is not there, meaning doing something like the Rapha 500 will take longer. :smile:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom