Zwift or BKool + Garmin + Rollers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hi all,
My apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but could not find anything definite in the search.

My working hours are likely to change in the near future and mean that although the weather is getting more cycle-friendly, I am unlikely to be able to get my usual road miles in.
So, I'm planning to get myself a set of rollers for indoor training. I've decided on rollers for ease of setup and storage, but budget will only just about stretch to some "basic" ones like the Tacx 1000 or equivalent
To make training more interesting (ie, less boring) I'm also hoping to connect up to Zwift, or BKool, or something equivalent.
I have a Garmin Edge 1000, along with its heart rate, cadence and speed sensors so my question is - will this combo work, or do I need to buy any more bits and bobs?
Thanks,
James

The only other thing you'll need for Zwift (apart from a towel!) is an Ant+ dongle (and possibly a USB extension lead, depending on how far away your PC is from your bike. You can get them online for about £25 for the Garmin one, or even less for third-party ones, then you'll be good to go.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You won't use the Edge, only it's sensors. Zwift works well with standard turbos, so check the rollers are 'compatible' from their list. I picked up a Tacx Smart Trainer for £146 rather than the £199 at Halfords recently.

uclown2002

Guru
You won't use the Edge, only it's sensors. Zwift works well with standard turbos, so check the rollers are 'compatible' from their list. I picked up a Tacx Smart Trainer for £146 rather than the £199 at Halfords recently.
So the ant+ dongle reads the cadence/speed info from the Garmin sensors and transmits it to zwift, which is then displayed on laptop?

Last edited:

fossyant

Yep. If you can get a smart trainer it's even better, really has you grabbing for the gears on a hill. With a 'dumb' trainer, you end up changing down to increase resistance, and pick your speed back up. It works well with smart and dumb trainers though.

Also Zwift has an app that connects your smart phone so you can change direction without having to reach for the computer.

uclown2002

Guru
Yep. If you can get a smart trainer it's even better, really has you grabbing for the gears on a hill. With a 'dumb' trainer, you end up changing down to increase resistance, and pick your speed back up. It works well with smart and dumb trainers though.

Also Zwift has an app that connects your smart phone so you can change direction without having to reach for the computer.
I bet there are many with dumb trainers not changing gears or speed though on the hills! How does zwift deal with that?

Zwift is all about the virtual physics and power:weight ratios, so if you don't put the effort in on the hills, even on a dumb trainer or rollers, your avatar slows down. Simple as that.

fossyant

There are cheats though

OP
OP
J

JimboJames1972

Thanks for the input Chaps, most informative, practical and helpful.

Does anyone know of any good deals an smart rollers? My dumb roller choice is probably going to be the Tacx 1000 (I have used these at my club a few times and prefer the conical nature of these rollers to flat rollers) and I have seen these for around £95 with free postage. Luckily, I have a birthday next month so might be able to push the budget a bit if a good deal on smart rollers comes by...?

Thanks again,

J

Scoop

Regular
I've a set of Tacx Galaxia rollers going if interested. There's a post in the classifieds.

Top Bottom