Zwift Plan - does everyone stick to one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic_cyclist

Hi all, with the sub-zero temps now kicking in, we all need to get onto that Turbo a lot more....

I need to understand Zwift a bit more, due to me only dipping in and out of it over the summer/autumn.

Are you supposed to get a structured plan with it or do you jump on, pedal and bang out an hour of just riding anywhere?
There is that much going on on the app I have no idea where to go and what to select, and whether its the right thing for what I need.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Hi all, with the sub-zero temps now kicking in, we all need to get onto that Turbo a lot more....

I need to understand Zwift a bit more, due to me only dipping in and out of it over the summer/autumn.

Are you supposed to get a structured plan with it or do you jump on, pedal and bang out an hour of just riding anywhere?
There is that much going on on the app I have no idea where to go and what to select, and whether its the right thing for what I need.

You will probably get as many different answers as there are people on Zwift. :smile:
I’m sure you can use Zwift for what YOU need, but depending on what it is, other platforms may be better or used in conjunction with Zwift…
I do group rides, (robo)pacer rides, some races and even the odd workout on Zwift. But I’m not following any plans or working towards a specific goal. I just ride to get some exercise, just like I do outside. I do a bit of everything on Zwift as not to get bored or exhausted. I even mix it with BKOOL and sometimes RGT too…

Peter Salt

Bittersweet

Think of it as going outside but inside. You can do whatever. Fancy a 'free' pootle? Check. Feel like doing an interval session? Check. Crit race? Check. TTs, club rides, multi-day events... You get the picture.

Question is not what Zwift has but what YOU want from it.

There's nothing you're 'supposed' to do. You do you. If you don't know what you want: Try everything.

13 rider

Guru
I started riding zwift in February, I have never done an FTP test or followed a training plan I just ride it for fun and fitness . I started just free riding exploring the world's . Then did group rides at a set watts per kilo ,The "Pack " rides are very good . Then I had a go a racing . Just enjoy it to start with don't get confused by all the data .

CXRAndy

Guru
If you're time crunched, do a workout or if you like a bit of competition, some races. There is a whole raft of variety, flat, short, hilly, long, time-trial etc.

Get the Zwift app and join Zwiftpower.com.

If you want to join the Cyclechat team, add that to Zwiftpower details too.

We have races together and individual. You can jump into the Zwift Splitters https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/zwift-bkool-splitter-chat.215190/ thread and post questions, comments. light hearted banter and general 'micky taking'

JuhaL

Guru
Because of a shift work It is challenging for me to stick in a plans so I rather do single workouts or a solo free rides. For now my plan is to do a ramp test to make sure that I train in a right zones and focusing to that when year 2023 is started.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I can only get on two or three times a week so I haven't been able to follow any of the structured plans, but I do do a fair few of the standalone workouts (The Gorby is my 'favourite'), and occasionally I'll go through a series of workouts (I enjoyed the Norseman workouts, and did the Zwift Academy ones this year). I don't do many races at the moment!

Check out intervals.icu to help visualise your training load.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The structured plans are in my view useless. They simply assume that you will stick to them religiously and will not take into account other riding you may do, for example group rides or even riding outside. I think people are crying out for a properly integrated plan that considers all riding or even better all exercise. Giving me a plan of 4 sessions a week when I am already riding significantly more outside of the plan is of no real use to me.

CXRAndy

Guru
The structured plans are in my view useless. They simply assume that you will stick to them religiously and will not take into account other riding you may do, for example group rides or even riding outside. I think people are crying out for a properly integrated plan that considers all riding or even better all exercise. Giving me a plan of 4 sessions a week when I am already riding significantly more outside of the plan is of no real use to me.

That's where dedication comes into it. Training plans do work if they have progressive loading over the period of the plan. You can target particular fitness parameters. Training plans are particularly suited to turbos, for very high quality dedicated sessions.

I've used Trainer Road for upto 16weeks of specific workouts. I was at my best form for a few months after I completed it. You can use certain software which will add all your rides and workout your workload, stress and fatigue. So you then know if it's getting to much , either a rest week of total reduction in training

Milkfloat

An Peanut
That's where dedication comes into it. Training plans do work if they have progressive loading over the period of the plan. You can target particular fitness parameters. Training plans are particularly suited to turbos, for very high quality dedicated sessions.

I've used Trainer Road for upto 16weeks of specific workouts. I was at my best form for a few months after I completed it. You can use certain software which will add all your rides and workout your workload, stress and fatigue. So you then know if it's getting to much , either a rest week of total reduction in training

Agreed, but it would be far better in my eyes if the training plan is dynamic, taking into account what has been done outside of it.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Agreed, but it would be far better in my eyes if the training plan is dynamic, taking into account what has been done outside of it.
I suppose we're deviating from the OP question here, and it might be just my work kink talking, but...

You would start a training plan to achieve a specific fitness goal. In other words: If you're looking to get that fitness goal, you need to follow the plan. This, surely, means that you would rather adjust everything else so that it doesn't disrupt the plan rather than expect the plan to adjust to the rest.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

The reason for the original question was, I see a lot of guys on Strava posting their Zwift sessions, and I was thinking "I wonder if these guys are just hopping on randomly riding an hour at anything (like pin the tail on the donkey!!) or do they follow a set plan in winter months"......I think all the above comments are constructive and very welcome, and much appreciated.

CXRAndy

Guru
The last two years, I've just done ad-hoc riding on Zwift. I mostly do 2 races per week and sometimes a longer Z2 ride. This has varied from a couple of hours up to 4h30 doing a 100 mile group ride.

Im pretty fit currently, but could be fitter re power and endurance-but have no actual targets or events that require me to target specifics. I think if I can ride 4+hours non stop on a turbo and knock out a 1000 Watt sprint, I'm doing OK

Top Bottom