100 mile ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieBoy

Hi, I'm looking to do my first 100 mile ride. Am based in London and would like to find a group of people that are perhaps yet to achieve this for themselves also. I have a friend who has a Pub in a small village called Rye which is by the sea near hastings. I looked at potential routes and came up with the following route, which gets us there in 103 miles, but has atleast 50% following the coats with the ability to leave the ride halfway at Brighton, at which point you can get the train back to London.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...=51.289406,0.302124&spn=1.999432,5.822754&z=8

I'd like to know if anyone is interested potentially. I'd like to do something by March. We can ride to Rye and stay at the pub the night and have a chilled day Sunday before heading back to London by train. Also, note the start is from Woking. It is just 1 stop or 20 mins from waterloo, but means you cut out all the crappy london traffic.

Hope you are intereted.

Cheers

Charlie

stevevw

Guru
F--- Me 3hr 37min I was interested up untill them ;)
8hrs and I may be able to cope.

Tynan

Veteran
'following the coats'?

tentatively interested, might even have a mate or two too, we were discussing exactly this dahn the boozer last night, I've been to Rye with the wife once and it's very nice

Did Dun Run earlier this year so I do have one 100 miler in the bag

What's this 3hr 37min nonsense? wtf? average of what? 27mph?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'd like to have a go if possible but I could have a look at recommending a better/safer route from Brighton to Rye if you want. The A259 is not necessarily ideal. Let me know if it wpould be useful - I don't want to poke my nose in!

Zoom

Über Member
I wouldn't recommend Brighton; here's a nicer route avoiding all but the quietest A roads and the same distance; Beachy Head is actually less steep than the A259 which as Rich P has pointed out is not the best way but there's often no avoiding it.

http://tinyurl.com/95d8dg

Tynan

Veteran
good man, it's all abut the route, damn but that map makes the ride look good

is there a good route back, only directish, that 100miles is the long way init

grr, doing it myself, back home to e4 is 80 miles any way I cut it

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I wouldn't recommend the A26 from Lewes - Beddingham - Newhaven. It's the main route for lorries from the port and refuse trucks to the landfill site. A much more scenic and quieter route is Lewes - Iford - Rodmell - Piddinghoe - Newhaven.

Tynan

Veteran
good, sort out a good/nice route you experts, I'm only good for home to work to home

Top Bottom