17th April 2015 Night Ride to Bognor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
Well I enjoyed that ride tremendously. We were blessed with the weather and although it was cold after the half way stop, once the sun came up it was glorious. I hope everyone enjoyed the opportunity I provided to have coffee that wasn't Costa. In fact, I was so disappointed with them on our last visit I arranged to have their facilities completely refurbished. Another first was the impromptu tour of the entrance to the BA Engineering Facility, you don't get this sort of thing on other Friday rides!
This was the first large ride I have led and I have learnt a few lessons that will make future attempts even better. Thanks to everyone who helped with route marking, TECing, staying cheerful, handing out jelly babies, carrying bikes over stiles and being nice to each other.
The Lobster Pot were as efficient as ever, although the manager 'had a word' saying he would have appreciated some notice. Unfortunately the lady I spoke to earlier in the week hadn't passed the message on.
I eschewed the SMRBH and instead decided to join the beer drinking club. Somehow or other we ended up in a time machine, we arrived at about 10.30 and suddenly it was nearly 4pm. I can't remember much but I think we had some very intellectual discussions!! Roll on July and the night ride to Whitstable.
IMG_20150418_033308749.jpg

Adrian mourning the overdue and completely necessary Costa refurbishment.
IMG_20150418_061938272.jpg

Dawn at last.
IMG_20150418_074107048.jpg

The Gurkha bridge is the perfect width for a trike.
IMG_20150418_131553912.jpg

Perfect post ride refreshment.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Just back home after my dinner party
You lasted better than me: I was fading fast at 1045, was driven home & in bed by 1115.
But I had ridden to Horsham with @Dogtrousers & @Eddie_C into an exhausting headwind & as @Dogtrousers said above in #184 a horrible road to Storrington - it all took ages. However the engaging Canadian & his new bike - he stared in amazement at our old school steel machines & the miles they wear so attractively - kept me awake on the train. The 6 miles home from Victoria Station into the teeth of the easterly "breeze" was a helluva finale.
I did manage 90 minutes lieing down in a comatose state before heading out again at 6.30 & managed pretty well, thanks to good conversation, food & wine....

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Before it fades from my memory, I'd just like to record the remark of the Arundel geezer who waited to let us turn. When I answered his question about where we were going with 'to Felpham for breakfast, then Bognor for beer' he ACTUALLY said these words:

"Hmmmm. When I ride, I ride hard."

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That was great fun. I seemed to spend quite a lot of the ride in close proximity to the TECs (no great surprises there) but it was a great night out. Sussex looked absolutely glorious as dawn broke and the sun came up. We really could not have done much better with the weather. Many thanks to Tim for setting it up, and to the waymarkers, TECs and all for helping it run smoothly. I joined Tim, Adrian, Claudine and Nigel and Frank in the Beer Time Machine in Bognor. They taught me a cruel lesson....I know less about yellow beer than I thought...:cry:

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I know less about yellow beer than I thought...:cry:

What's to know, except that it should be kept sufficiently cold that you can't really taste it?

hatler

Guru
Mission accomplished. After completing the first half of this ride last April, and trying the second half in September (where we were rained off after six miles) Joe was still keen to complete.

01.30 Wake up grumpy teenager
02.15 Start fretting mildly about getting away on time, at which point Joe gets stuck in to a bowl of Weetabix (eight I think it was).
02.30 Set off for Clapham Junction (six miles)
02.32 GT decides he needs another layer on his legs
02.55 Pull in to CJ with plenty of time to spare.
03.09 Safely on train for Gatwick. Not too many drunks and not too many weird stares.
03.45 Arrive Gatwick perfectly on time. Grab a quick tea and hot chocolate and a bag of 'Wobbly Worms', ready for when the sugar deficit bites later on.
04.15 Leave LGW down the stairs. There's one of our number who looks to be going the wrong way. But no, he's a random cyclist who's trying to catch a train, and looks like thunder as an apparent endless stream of cheery cyclists heading down the stairs hold him up.
04.30 Underway after a brief DI2 failure interlude. It's chilly, but not unbearably so (far from it actually).

Thereafter, there's not much I can say really that can add to the flavour of the ride beyond what those glorious photos show.

We had a tailwind, great company (as ever), and Joe was doing a lot more than just keeping up. The route was gorgeous. Great views, quiet lanes, stunning birdsong; and we fair rolled along. One puncture-enforced delay saw us by a field of calves who have a fantastic combination of herd curiosity, tempered with timidity. They advance bit by bit, each not wanting to get too far ahead of the others, but the moment you hold out a hand, they flinch backwards, and then slowly advance again.

There was the footpath, the bike lifting over the kissing gates (four of them ?), the Gurkha bridge, the smooth running Arun, the Truman Show style village of Amberley (it's just a little too perfect don't you think ?), the final climb and sunshine throughout (and I have no idea if I have those in the right order - it has all melded into one flowing experience). I was feeling good enough that I could go on like this for ever. But before I knew it we were skirting Arundel Castle and on the home stretch for Felpham. Tim was good enough not to pick me for waymarking any of the last few turns and as soon as the sea was sighted Joe was off, sprinting to the seafront, and he had got the jump on me, I couldn't catch him.

Breakfast was superb, the sausages put the Madeira's to shame (but we all knew that that wouldn't be difficult). I could easily have eaten two of their big breakfasts without any bother at all, but we had tickets for a 10am train so had to scoot. After a rail diversion via Three Bridges (as opposed to the more direct route via Hove) we ended up at Hassocks but Joe had already displayed signs of poopedness and I had lined up Lu to pick him up there. I'm not sure he would have made the five miles into the wind by that point. I ambled my way back to the van at Streat via one of my most favourite stretches anywhere, the 'French Fields' (as we have christened them), a West - East route which runs parallel to the Downs and brings you out by Streat Church after a little bit of rough stuff. By the time I had had a quick catch up with the gang I made it to the van to find Joe fast asleep and snoring.

Thank you all for your company and for being so welcoming to a young 'un. He was well chuffed at knocking that particular ride off (52.5 miles including the five and a bit to Clapham). It will be good training for our planned (but too brief) Normandy Jaunt in August.

(And just to confirm the choice of our erstwhile and esteemed leader, we've had friends staying in a house on the Felpham seafront this last week about 400 yards from the Lobster Pot, and their considered opinion is that it is the best eaterie in town, by some distance.)

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Another cracker. This was the first night run since my job move, and hence the first experimental run at the new post-work trip to HPC, which worked out very nicely indeed. I'd guesstimated that if I finished at 9.30 on the dot I'd almost certainly miss the earliest train I could catch (9.38) whereas if we were given the all-clear at 9.25 or so I'd be in with a shout. And so it proved- got the nod to clear off at 9.26, and despite the usual queue to get out of the car park I was at the platform at 9.34. In the event I hadn't have made that train, no problem, next one half an hour later would have been in plenty of time to get to the arch too. Trains on that line are much faster than the Pompey ones at that time of night, helpfully! Made my way over to Victoria for the traditional early meet-up, and then on to HPC.

With such a small group, and favourable conditions, our progress was fairly speedy, though I'm not entirely sure how a few souls managed to take the wrong way round the Reigate one-way system..as our leader for the night @Trickedem has noted, lessons will be learnt. At Gatwick, after the shock of discovering Costa being refurbished (it's such a useful spot for bike parking even if not purchasing there), we made our way upstairs to Nero, and the latest instalment of Night Ride Police Action, where half-a-dozen of the boys in blue were dealing with some miscreant. Following that, the first-ever episode of Night Ride IT Helpdesk, when Jason's unfortunate tumble on the stairs caused his Di2 system to go into crash protection mode and needed to be reset...which eventually it was, and yes, turning it off and on again was suggested! Our numbers now augmented by Hatlers junior and senior, we exited Gatwick, after the impromptu tour. Joe showed his usual turn of speed and left most of us in his wake. Our time in hand gradually disappeared for various reasons, not that it was much of an issue- those cows were a highlight!- and we reached The Lobster Pot pretty much on the dot of nine.

One large breakfast and a coffee and walnut cake later (up to the hosts' usual impeccable standards), I decided to take full advantage of The Tailwind (this rare event requires capitalisation) and head west. I was back home in well under two hours, and into the bargain I somehow got 7th fastest time overall on the 5 mile Strava segment between Felpham and Merston (must have been the cake..). A short extra loop to make the ride up to the ton and home just after twelve, 100.1 miles on the clock since Waterloo.

Next up, Flandering again (@swarm_catcher's Brussels-Ostend masterpiece), and then at the end of May, my own Night Ride round the Coast (of the Isle of Wight). For those who really like hills, this one's for you....

Fine job Tim, and hope to see at least a few of you on a ferry in a few weeks..

Top Bottom