17th July 2015 Night Ride to Whitstable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It would be good to have a Martin F on there @Aperitif
Well, you know what, MartinT? I might be able to but the allopurinol is still sparring with the colchicine at the moment and my right toe is doing the Buffy Frobisher throb - and you know the pain that brings. Nearly beaten, but not quite. It's getting boring now...a year later. I would be looking for a ride back to Orpington / Chislehurst too (know anyone who knows the way?) Not doing it unless 100% otherwise I might be grumpy and we wouldn't like that, would I?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well, you know what, MartinT? I might be able to but the allopurinol is still sparring with the colchicine at the moment and my right toe is doing the Buffy Frobisher throb - and you know the pain that brings. Nearly beaten, but not quite. It's getting boring now...a year later. I would be looking for a ride back to Orpington / Chislehurst too (know anyone who knows the way?) Not doing it unless 100% otherwise I might be grumpy and we wouldn't like that, would I?
I'm guessing you've been back to doc and are taking some acute gout stuff like Indometacin?

I'm guessing you've been back to doc and are taking some acute gout stuff like Indometacin?
Got given something like that when I had leg problems...Indokneesia I think it was.
Nothing cute about it. First he chopped off my leg, so now it's cheaper to be legless (bit like the Friday Night rides I suppose...:whistle:) and then an arm, so I'm armless.
No, seriously - trust me, I can do it - colchicine is the antidote to allo allo purinol (French meds.) and I ran out (one legged) Cue serious attack of gout and I'm steady with the meddy...no changes yet. One pill makes me dozy (yes, really) and the other makes me feel Norse Ears...and it is so tiny. I tested out my returning strength by buying two new M+ last week and refitting both with fingers and thumbs - something I never thought I would do again. Easy enough on a pair of Spa's handbuilts. Hey! Is this thread going off-topic...sorry Tim Dynamodecker. Trouble with meds is all the water - makes me ramble on...totally unknown to me in a previous life...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
For everyone's information.....
On all but one Whitstable ride (well, apart from the one I rode another thirty miles after breakfast) I've done, I and others have ridden back to the station and unless my memory's failing me, every time (certainly most times) we've ended up on the northern, eastbound, side. The other side from the trains we actually want to take, and the ticket office, and all the ticket machines. Then we have to lug our bikes over the footbridge. I had long thought there had to be a nice easy way round to the westbound side. And on the last ride, I found it. Very very easy....
From the Waterfront, instead of turning right, go left then immediately right onto Northwood Road. Third turning on your right is Castle Road. That's the one you want (Clare Road or Bailiol Road will lead you to the northbound side again). Keep straight on until you cross the railway bridge (a clue you're going the right way), and then make a right. Station's up on your right. About 3/4 of a mile.

Last edited:
U

User10571

There's a slightly more straightforward way....
When you reach the station turn right and keep going until you see the cycle path which takes you under the tracks at the end of the platform...

ETA - Once you've crossed under the tracks, if you take your first left you will encounter stairs.
Take your second left (blink and you'll miss it, srsly) and you will find it stairless.

Last edited by a moderator:

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Got given something like that when I had leg problems...Indokneesia I think it was.
Nothing cute about it. First he chopped off my leg, so now it's cheaper to be legless (bit like the Friday Night rides I suppose...:whistle:) and then an arm, so I'm armless.
No, seriously - trust me, I can do it - colchicine is the antidote to allo allo purinol (French meds.) and I ran out (one legged) Cue serious attack of gout and I'm steady with the meddy...no changes yet. One pill makes me dozy (yes, really) and the other makes me feel Norse Ears...and it is so tiny. I tested out my returning strength by buying two new M+ last week and refitting both with fingers and thumbs - something I never thought I would do again. Easy enough on a pair of Spa's handbuilts. Hey! Is this thread going off-topic...sorry Tim Dynamodecker. Trouble with meds is all the water - makes me ramble on...totally unknown to me in a previous life...
Not doing it unless 100%
It would almost be worth going just to ride near @Aperitif if he hits 100%

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
There's a slightly more straightforward way....
When you reach the station turn right and keep going until you see the cycle path which takes you under the tracks at the end of the platform...

ETA - Once you've crossed under the tracks, if you take your first left you will encounter stairs.
Take your second left (blink and you'll miss it, srsly) and you will find it stairless.
Having had a look on Google maps, would that be the path on Cromwell Road?

Top Bottom